• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Midnight Coffee S4 Mini build

spencers

Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
965
Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of small form factor and ITX builds. A couple of years ago I built a Node 202 gaming PC but still thought there was too much wasted space. After selling the Node build, I tried to simplify my setup by adding a video card to my unRAID NAS and going virtualized (think Linus Tech Tips 2-gamers-1-PC) but I never felt the virtual performance matched a bare metal setup. Then I found the S4 Mini from Not From Concentrate!

The S4 Mini is a well-thought out unique design, allowing enough space for a powerful, small-footprint ITX gaming rig. For components, you can fit an ITX board, ITX graphics card, DC-to-DC converter, and optional two 2.5" drives. Straight away, assembling everything into the case felt like a three dimensional silicon and aluminum puzzle as there was a strict order of assembly. At the end, it became apparent how much power was densely packed into this little aircraft-grade aluminum chassis the size of a ream of paper.

When deciding whether to go with Skylake or something newer, I managed to pick up the Coffee Lake Intel i5-8400 on Newegg while it was in stock for approximately 15 minutes. Glad I did because 6 cores in a 65w package is killer. The S4 Mini was developed for a 65w CPU, as is the Noctua L9i. Overall, this build is super quiet, as there are only two fans: the CPU and GPU (which turns off at idle!) and the entire thing is easily powered by a chunky 330W Dell AC adapter.

The S4 Mini originally came with a wenge wood 3D front bezel that has a cutout for longer graphics cards. After deciding to powder coat the side panels midnight blue wrinkle from Prismatic Powders, I ordered a wraparound silver brushed aluminum front bezel. I also sourced some awesome torx screws to hold the size panels on. Overall, I'm extremely happy with how everything turned out and it's now uniquely mine!

I built this strictly to play games and be a portable beast. Forza 7, Wolfenstein 2, and Star Wars Battlefront II are the 2017 games this rig will handle at 1440p.

Firestrike 15138
Time Spy 5780
Passmark CPU Score: 12,864

Parts list:
NFC S4-Mini, wraparound bezel, SIFLEX riser cable, on/off switch, side panels powdercoated midnight blue wrinkle from Prismatic Powders
Intel i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-core/6-thread 2.8ghz (4.0ghz turbo) LGA1151 65w 9MB
Noctua L9i
Asrock Z370M-ITX
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3200
500GB Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX
HDPlex 400w + Dell 330w PSU

Idle Temps:
CPU: 30C
GPU: 45C

Load Temps:
CPU: 54C
GPU: 63C































Obligatory picture of component boxes, with Windows 10 installing in the background:





Running the stock HSF until I pulled my Noctua L9i from my NAS.




I wish the IO shroud was black!


Here you can see the 1070 Mini.


Now some glamour shots with the panels on:


 
Last edited:
Update: I've installed the Noctua L9i. I had to remove the motherboard because I couldn't access the top two HSF mounting holes while the motherboard was installed in the case. :(

While I love the Wenge wood, I feel like the case is missing something because it looks weird when sitting upright on the side panels (see below image). So I ordered a silver wraparound bezel from NFC.


Trying to source some 6-32 side panel screws similar to the ones from another build but not having any luck. They appear to be Torx or hex, with a FLAT undercut head.
ecXmXrTm.jpg


ALSO, I've l found a local powdercoat facility. I'm currently looking at midnight blue wrinkle from Prismatic Powders.


Noctua installed!


Wenge wood represent!
 
I'd have gone with the Gigabyte ITX over the MSI Aero - better cooling and clocks higher - but it's still an impressively small build.
 
Back
Top