• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Midnight Blue ... First Mod Ever ... (56k BEWARE!)

CorporalStorm

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
153
Before you laugh at me understand this is the first attempt ever at cutting up a case or do anything out of the norm. I was a lil hesitate to do anything since I just bought the case. Literally I sat and stared at it for a good hour before I grew "balls" to actually do something.

I will explain each picture as it's shown down the list. This is completed and no more work is scheduled for now.

photo.001.jpg

everything pulled out of the case ...

photo.002.jpg

the new 7900 gt ko sc that I got from the stepup program

photo.003.jpg

used a sharpie to trace where I would cut out using the rotary tool. 80mm front

photo.004.jpg

same thing in the rear for the 120mm fan

photo.005.jpg

this is my makeshift work area.. i know, state of the art! LOL

photo.006.jpg

front is cut and sanded. it's not a perfect circle but pretty darn good with a cutting wheel

photo.007.jpg

same as the rear.. not too shabby

photo.008.jpg

sleeved the fan cables. heatshrink is a PITA

photo.009.jpg

started priming the aluminum pieces

photo.010.jpg

first coat of blue metallic paint

photo.011.jpg

second coat, its starting to look real good

photo.012.jpg

closeup on the 3rd coat

photo.013.jpg

it looks like that color changing paint at different angles.. weird, but in person its solid blue

photo.014.jpg

marked up for cutting out. the squares are underneath the mobo to hide most of the wiring

photo.015.jpg

cut out done.. not exactly straight but im not complaining

photo.016.jpg

lol clever.. i used vacuum hose from auto store that you use on windshield washer motors. cut it in half and used metal super glue to stick it.. worked like a charm.

photo.017.jpg

all 3 cutouts rubberized

photo.018.jpg

cleaning the case up. its not exactly as clean as i hoped, was afraid to put too many wires under the mobo for fear something would shred. from what i did theres no restriction, ive kept everything clear of the airflow channels.

photo.019.jpg

view of the front area

photo.020.jpg

just a random shot after putting the front plate on. it looks strange, maybe its the flash. it looks like there is dust on it but there is none. then again metallic paint looks funny when shot with a camera. have to see it in person to see how nice it looks.

photo.021.jpg

another shot for the heck of it.. not bad..

photo.022.jpg

just taken without a flash.. i dont like the fact you can see the rear 120mm LED fan back there.. im rigging up something to mount a 120 in the bottom 3 slots for another instake fan.

----

I'm overall pleased with the turn out. I believe with some more practice I can come up with better results.. This was the first time and I was a bit nervous to make errors. So next time I can go a bit further and test myself :)

What do ya'll think?
 
looks good. I have the same case and the first thing I did was take that ugly centurion logo off the front. It's stuck on the side of my fridge now :)
 
filthysanchez said:
put window trim around the holes you cut, that stuff in there now looks wierd.

yea but you cant see it with the mobo installed, plus it seems like it will do the job

I know what you mean about cutting into your case for the first time... but don't worry, confidence builds quickly after you mod something. Oh and go to a hardware store and pick up a few metal files if you plan on cutting anything else... they are wonderful. What I do is draw myself a line and cut a little before it and just file up to the line. Takes more time but the end result is way more gratifying.

Looks good for a first mod... any other plans other than a second intake?
 
looks good. i still havent cut anyhting on my case so your doing better then me ;)
in regards to the wiring while you can se some of the wires it doesnt look like a shity rats nest. i think the sleving as much as a pita that is helped alot there
 
looks nice, but seriously, what is that freaky looking kid thing in the background in the last pic?

That thing is gonna give me nightmares :eek:
 
mrweasel said:
looks nice, but seriously, what is that freaky looking kid thing in the background in the last pic?

That thing is gonna give me nightmares :eek:

Looks like a porcelan (SP?) doll standing on a glass table.
 
mrweasel said:
looks nice, but seriously, what is that freaky looking kid thing in the background in the last pic?

That thing is gonna give me nightmares :eek:

LOL! Yeah its a doll.. My mom's a doll freak.. She has about oh.. 40 dolls in her formal living room, I think total antique value she has about $20,000.00 in dolls.. She has some dolls that are old as heck!
 
Back
Top