Mid/low level IPS - Really worth it? [Solved]

Kyopaxa

n00b
What if I see that the majority of IPS monitors out there, except those absurdly priced, actually cover the same 98-100% sRGB and 72% NTSC color gamuts as latest TN film monitors nowadays. What's the real deal about mainstream IPS apart of viewing angles in exchange of light bleeding? Is there something else I am missing?

Define "necessary". IPS panels are harder to make. They tend to only be available in the larger size classes. Being typically higher-tier monitors they come with nicer stands. Color gamut says nothing about accuracy. And yes ofc viewing angles (and non-yellow whites).

You shop El Cheapo TN...you get a yellowy-white panel....with lord knows what color accuracy....probably minimal OSD to tweak said color output. A crappy tilt-only stand of flimsy plastic....and color shifting.

Oh, with "necessary" I wanted to say if it's really worth to buy it when you're not going to buy the good and really expensive ones, but just a standard IPS panel that can be found in almost every mid/low price range model nowadays.

About color accuracy, TFT central does some color accuracy reviews in latest TN panels that are just as good as some latest mid/low level IPS. Some IPS even being calibrated worse than some TN.
Then, I am not sure where the yellow-white thing you are talking about comes from. If I understand correctly, it might be related to the WLED backlight which is being used equally in majority of IPS and TN panels too. Or you could be talking about the effect of side display in TN, that I can agree is crap when it happens.

EDIT: Changed the title to be less confusing. Sorry about that.

Being "color accurate" doesn't mean a whole lot on TN or VA panels since the image changes as soon as your eyes are not perpendicular to the screen - which happens even if you're looking dead-on at the display, since the edges are at a wider angle than the center. That problem gets worse the larger the display is.

I wouldn't get a TN when IPS are so cheap these days. (LG or Dell 23-24"...)

It's worth it for the viewing angles IMO.

Thanks all for the replies. I finally understand what's the deal. Is not only that the standard IPS delivers accurate colors, but also that you can actually see them correctly because of the viewing angle. Even if you can find a TN with perfect sRGB/gamma/white point, it doesn't matter if you can't actually see it correctly from a certain angle. Contrast and bleeding issues aside, I think I'll go for IPS. Thanks again.

Back