Microwave mealtime Lag

potatorage

Limp Gawd
So whenever I try to make some food in the microwave, it cuts out the internet on all my devices... So on my DD-WRT router how can I make it so that my microwave doesn't act as a jammer? Thanks~!!

uhh, it will be difficult since they're both going to be on that 2.4ghz spectrum.

You can try changing the freq channel the router uses to see if it helps, on 1 and on 11. And also try to increase the emit power.

Get a new microwave, seriously. It's probably leaking radiation. A normal microwave shouldn't completely shut off wifi even if the access point is right next to it, using the same frequency (though it will be a really crappy connection).

PS here's how you test it http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Microwave-for-Leaks

it cuts out the internet on all my devices...

so it goes out on wired devices also? not just wireless?
if so, it's not a wireless issue and has nothing to do with the firmware on the router, or even the router itself most likely

edit: do you have any wired devices? you say "all" but it's certainly possible the only devices you have are wireless. Getting clarification.
what kind of internet is this?
when I worked for a DSL provider, it was found before that the microwave would cause errors on the line.
usually had to do with the way the internal wiring was run.
possibly try a different phone jack if it is DSL?
watch the modem when you turn the microwave in; it's possible it's dropping sync due to interference.

Last edited:
so it goes out on wired devices also? not just wireless?
if so, it's not a wireless issue and has nothing to do with the firmware on the router, or even the router itself most likely

Not only has the problem already been pointed out but your dumb question has been answered hahahaha

Given it's not just wireless it may be a power issue. Is the microwave and the router/switch on the same circuit? If not, are they on the same leg of your hydro service? I would plug a voltmeter in the same outlet as the router and have somebody go turn on the microwave to see if there's a voltage drop. Maybe it's causing the router to temporary lock up or reboot or something.

That microwave test looks interesting too, I'll have to give that a try just for fun. I like how they specify to not turn it on. :p

Back