Microsoft's Very First Web Page, Back In 1994

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Let’s have a little memory test. This will require you being alive and on the Internet back in 1994 and able to actually remember anything that was on the Internet 20 years ago. Ladies and gentlemen, we present Microsoft’s first attempt at a web page. Real homey, that. :D

AOL dialup, small CRT monitors, did I have an RGB? floppy drives.. and worst of all .. expensive!

They are fun now but, I sort of matured and do not spend like I used to.

Anyone else ran Windows 3.1, Trumpet Winsocket and Netscape back then?

College Days...yes...Netscape..wow...monochrome CRT's...takes me back

I remember using KA9Q and long distance dial-up to access the internet.

Back then I didn't have real internet. I think I was using BBS to a small degree and freenet (free, 15 minute internet connection with dial up in text-only mode). I was lucky if I could download a couple pictures or a 3 second movie clip back then.

Let’s have a little memory test. This will require you being alive and on the Internet back in 1994 and able to actually remember anything that was on the Internet 20 years ago. Ladies and gentlemen, we present Microsoft’s first attempt at a web page. Real homey, that. :D

What's sad is that webpage was better designed than Metro.

Microsoft was always behind the times, by 1994 all the cool sites had animated GIFs. :D

I very much remember the internet back then. It was the good old days before they opened the floodgates to the idiotic masses.

In 1994 I was rocking 32 bit OS/2. I'd like to say I remember that web page but cannot, though it does seem familiar.

Anyone else ran Windows 3.1, Trumpet Winsocket and Netscape back then?
Yep. I was one of the first dial-up Internet users in college. I even used TIA and SLiRP in my shell accounts to emulate SLIP and PPP! :D

The World’s first webpage.. August 6, 1991

o_WORLDS_FIRST_WEBSITE_570_jpg_4.jpg

The first web page address was http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html and the site was updated frequently after launching; therefore, images of its earliest versions were never saved, but the above is how the site looked in 1992

Can't say that I am a fan of the modern web. Going to CNET actually means you're visiting 40 different domains due to all the cross site scripting. Then we got Flash based ads, which are only being kept in check by pure brute force of modern CPUs. Browsers eat up a bunch of memory now as well.

I liked the purity of the old web because people were on 14.4, 33.6 and 56.6k modems. Some sites were plain bad, but others made great use of the tiny resources they had and the site was more straight to the point. The lack of bandwidth kept things in check for a while, the ads were basic gifs and not Flash animations for example.

I do like the modern bandwidth, but the modern web feels horribly bloated.

Ah yes.....the good old days. I remember them, well, less all the time, but that's what happens with age!

In 1994 I was using TIA to get IP access to UT's backbone over my dial-up shell account -- and late in the year I actually got my first ISDN line!

Back then I was primarily running on Windows 3.1 and NT 3.5 (Beta at the time) using Mosaic and Netscape.

Yep, good old days, now I feel like one of those grumpy old men.

I'm scared of my kids growing up with internet now.

Back then I had my own dedicated dial up line, so d could still get phone calls...

I remember upgrading to a 14,400 baud modem. That was crazy fast! Also used Netscape, till that magical version that ruined it...

I remember I made a website back in 95 or 96 using a WYSIWYG editor that was part of Netscape Navigator or was it Mosaic. Anyway it was for the game Jane's US Navy Fighters I had a squadron lol.

i'd give anything to be able to connect an old 3.1 laptop to the internet, and be able to access a vintage portal of the early days.

there has to be a complete mirror image of the internet (besides wayback machine), SOMEWHERE, hidden in a storage for research.

Can't say that I am a fan of the modern web. Going to CNET actually means you're visiting 40 different domains due to all the cross site scripting. Then we got Flash based ads, which are only being kept in check by pure brute force of modern CPUs. Browsers eat up a bunch of memory now as well.

I liked the purity of the old web because people were on 14.4, 33.6 and 56.6k modems. Some sites were plain bad, but others made great use of the tiny resources they had and the site was more straight to the point. The lack of bandwidth kept things in check for a while, the ads were basic gifs and not Flash animations for example.

I do like the modern bandwidth, but the modern web feels horribly bloated.

Adblock/Noscript and you won't see an advert anywhere.

So much promise. We really had no fucking clue what and how the Internet would shape our future so dramatically. I think only a few science fiction authors , by chance , managed to tap the details so far.

I can't even imagine what it'll be in 20 years from now either. Its exciting to think about it.

Looking at these old screenshots really trips my nostalgia meter, even though I didn't have internet access that far back (I was around 8 at that time lol). It's hard to believe that the time between that MS web site screenshot and my first adventure into the net is less than my first year on the net til now.

Back then we had no browsing the internet. I remember being subscribed to an actual printed magazine, that listed pages worth visiting, because the 10 hour / month internet subscription didn't allow for browsing and searching. What I'd do is open like 15 explorer windows download the pages and then disconnect and then start reading them.

Dial up SLIP account for the win.

Hey at least they had secure HTTP

The internet is now used by everyone. It use to be mostly the tech savy people of the 90s and early 2000s but now everyone is online not just chatting on messengers like before. Now its all about videos on youtube and your general everyday tasks you use to do offline is now done online. Its become part of life. Feels like content isnt coming out as fast as it use to. AAA Games, and software. Processors are not getting much faster anymore. Ram hasn't changed much from ddr2 to ddr3 in reality. Everything has been slowing down it seems when it comes to new tech and software/entertainment. Something has to budge. I've downloaded everything i've wanted to download. What is there next pretty much is where most people are at lol. Waiting for 24 core cpus still. Waiting years already. Nothing is progressing like it use to. Videocards aren't really being pushed unless your trying to run seriously high resolutions. In the old days you wouldnt even be able to play at 800x600 or 1024x768. You either had the card that played the game or it was too slow to work. Now you can play any game almost any hardware these days. Nothing is really draining the gpus like they use to. No more crysis like games mostly. Games that make 1080p almost unplayable with seriously high end next generation graphics. Need to go to the next level already. The hardware hasn't been contested much for years already. I can get windows 8.1 to install on hardware from 2005 and run fine. Windows 7 works on athlon xp pretty decently. I'm sure people will just get tired of waiting and just forget about all this enthusiest hardware and games. Processors use to pump out every few months with fast clock speeds. Already been over 3-4 years with athlon fx/phenom 2. Thats like pentium 3 to athlon 64 in processor year generations years ago. Eventually we will not see new generations for 10-20 years at this rate. Dead will hit eventually. A wall.

The internet certainly was more exciting in those days than it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dial up SLIP account for the win.

Hey at least they had secure HTTP

proc main
waitfor "User Name:"
transmit $USERID, raw
transmit "^M"
waitfor "Password:"
transmit $PASSWORD, raw
transmit "^M"
waitfor "Type"
transmit "PPP^M"
endproc

Still remember that script.... lol

Ugh, I am old. :( I had just gotten to Ft. Leavenworth in '94. Good ole Windows 3.11 and Nutscrape Navigator. When Windows 95 first came out, we got the floppy version before the CD version. That was a suckfest and a half to install, along with the floppy version of Office 4.3 (I think). Nothing like feeding the computer floppies all damn day. :D

Back