Microsofts underwater server experiment

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
Link to article

Back in 2018, Microsoft sunk an entire data center to the bottom of the Scottish sea, plunging 864 servers and 27.6 petabytes of storage 117 feet deep in the ocean. Today, the company has reported that its latest experiment was a success, revealing findings that show that the idea of an underwater data center is actually a pretty good one.

Microsoft says the underwater data center had just one-eighth the failure rate of a land-based data center, a dramatic improvement. That lower failure rate is important, given that it’s much harder to service a busted server when it’s in an airtight container at the bottom of the ocean.

Pretty much insane

Imagine the ocean floors littered with these things, near limitless scaling... They'll all have their little logos on the side of the vessel like where Microsoft put theirs

Crazy man that they can even try this

Reactions: Draax
like this
there are a million variables that could influence the reliability of this unit over a land server one

there are a million variables that could influence the reliability of this unit over a land server one

I think that was the whole point of the experiment.

I'm thinking sabotage by submarine could be an issue :p

sigh

wouldnt you double/triple test something that cannot be easily changed before putting it on the bottom of the ocean as opposed to a server room you can walk to?

sigh

wouldnt you double/triple test something that cannot be easily changed before putting it on the bottom of the ocean as opposed to a server room you can walk to?
I'm guessing people are the cause of most issues. Spending a little extra time to "do it right" because you know you cant walk back into it is likely enough to make this a success.
People in general are stupid.

This actually strikes me as a really good idea.
That pressure vessel they are in likely cost 1/4 Million though. The company I work for builds big acid coolers, industrial mixers, tanks, and process equipment. Some of it looks similar to that. Neat.

I forgot they did that, cool....

conspiracy note:the secret underwater data centres are the real cause for the oceans warming....

I would super dislike this flippant comment if I could, this is serious stuff here!

It is pee that is warming the oceans. Toddlers are to blame.

Toddlers and sneaky adults.

I'm guessing people are the cause of most issues. Spending a little extra time to "do it right" because you know you cant walk back into it is likely enough to make this a success.
People in general are stupid.

BINGO!!!
so its not a straight comparision!!!

I would super dislike this flippant comment if I could, this is serious stuff here!

Exactly, why ever did we stop pissing in pots.

In the future:
Job Fair Guy "We're looking to hire some techs. Do you have your PADI cert?"
Applicant "...?"

What if the secret datacenters are combining with all the swim lesson pee and that combined effect is causing the ocean acidification.

Back