Microsoft's The Ultimate Steal

kuyamiko

n00b
Microsoft began offering Office Ultimate 2007 to college students for $60.
i think its a good incentive to get a legal copy of the software for cheap instead of a pirated version.

im definitely going to accept microsoft's offer.:)

http://theultimatesteal.com/home.asp

It sure would be nice if MS would provide these types of discounts to people that support their products for a living...

has anyone else done this i just purchashed the software and have yet to recieve my key im getting kinda worried since the crappy website wont even let me put a username in to log in

It sure would be nice if MS would provide these types of discounts to people that support their products for a living...

Thats just Microsoft being smart.

Students can pirate Office or use OpenOffice. Professionals cannot.

Microsoft aims to curb piracy and prevent straying by college students, and yet holds corporate by a noose because they can.

Smart business sense ;)

It says it's good until April 30th of 2008 or somesuch... I plan on enrolling at a CC for the winter semester.. w00t. :)

it's an incentive to get students hooked, just like giving cigarettes to kids for free.

Did you come from a broken home? Seriously, because I SEE no connection between cigarettes and Microsoft Office, or is it that you simply like to type random things on the internet?

Personally, I don't understand the whole "MS sucks" or "OpenOffice/Linux sucks" arguments. Get what software fits your needs. If that requires you to pay (more), so be it. I picked up Office Ultimate yesterday. I've been advertising it to all my friends too and posting it on forums. This is a great opportunity for people who go to schools without MSDN-AA like me.

For example, the best discount my school offers is Office 2007 Professional for $78.85, so this is a deal for me. More features and a lower price, I'll take that. It also beats the pants off sites like AcademicSuperStore who can do $250 for an "academic" version. I am not sure what version they are selling to students, but based on the EULA it is NOT OEM (so the Portable Device clause, i.e. desktop and laptop install simultaneously, is in effect. I think this version may qualify for upgrades in the future (usually academic versions don't).

Students trained on Microsoft products are future business men/women who are comfortable on Microsoft products. Thats all they care about.

not a bad deal, my school offers it up for just over a c-note, now how about some vista ultimate?

then you are incapable of simple reading comprehension so I won't even bother explaining.

Did you come from a broken home? Seriously, because I SEE no connection between cigarettes and Microsoft Office, or is it that you simply like to type random things on the internet?

it's an incentive to get students hooked, just like giving cigarettes to kids for free.

That's one of the most pathetic, idiotic statements I've heard in a long time, thanks for the laugh.

Those that actually bothered to read into and research this know that the reason Microsoft did this is because they were getting feedback from students asking for some soft of accommodation/deal for since they had a hard time paying the premium price for Office.

I know many of you people absolutely loathe Microsoft because they are the big bad evil company, but give it a rest once in a while..

Seriously, while OpenOffice has many of the features that Microsoft Office does, it is not the same despite what the rabid supporters say. If it were so similar, at least some businesses would opt for OpenOffice because of the much lower costs of running a free product versus the somewhat pricey Microsoft version. But it's not. I'm not dissing OpenOffice, far from it. My mom could use it for her word processing, but she refuses to use anything different than what she does at work (Office 2000).

I, on the other hand, need some things that OpenOffice just doesn't do. Like OneNote. Show me something comparable to OneNote that is free and has virtually the same functionality. And honestly, some people will b-tch about Microsoft even if they offered things for free. So I'm not even going to try to convince those people. I choose what fits my needs. That's Microsoft Office. Sorry if my needs don't fit with the zealotry of some of these fanatics... Sorry if I make the personal choice that Office is best for my computing, and sorry that I can afford it.

I just hate these anti-MS fanatics who take anything that Microsoft does and try to demonize it. Yes, Microsoft has its problems, any big company does. Sometimes, I feel like we need to "stick it to them," but other times I feel (like here) that they are being unfairly singled out.

Nice to see Microsoft "caring" for their customers, definitely 2 thumbs up from me! :)

That's one of the most pathetic, idiotic statements I've heard in a long time, thanks for the laugh.

Those that actually bothered to read into and research this know that the reason Microsoft did this is because they were getting feedback from students asking for some soft of accommodation/deal for since they had a hard time paying the premium price for Office.

I know many of you people absolutely loathe Microsoft because they are the big bad evil company, but give it a rest once in a while..

:rolleyes: By no means am I in either camp on the MS debate.... But do you seriously think that MS is offering this deal (or even their old discount to students because of the feedback??? (hundreds of small company's have also provide that same feedback, but I have yet to see MS offer them a discount). Basic Marketing 101.... Gain an influential captive market in their infancy and you will reap the benefits later. Microsoft is a very savvy company, that understands the value of having thousands of college grads joining the workforce having grown up on their products.

Thats just Microsoft being smart.

Students can pirate Office or use OpenOffice. Professionals cannot.

Microsoft aims to curb piracy and prevent straying by college students, and yet holds corporate by a noose because they can.

Smart business sense ;)

Professionals can use OpenOffice too, I use it every day at work. When my company-issued laptop came loaded with Office Professional, I immediately uninstalled it in favor of OpenOffice. I open other people's spreadsheets, letters, etc and never had any compatibility issues. I used a student version of office XP in college for a while, but I ran into some issues with anchoring figures in my document. I would place a figure and a caption in the middle of a word document, and later discovered that they would not stay put. Never had that issue with Open Office. I want to learn Latex to replace Word/Writer.

This is a very good deal and they are obviously scared about poor students fleeing to free software! Well they have my £40 now!

Apple has been giving discounts for students for many years. They even opened up a pseudo-apple-store at my school just so kids know that they can get a better deal since they are in school. How is that any different? Why aren't people freaking out about that?...

But... 2007 is so horrible compared to 2004... Excel is so much more "User Friendly" (READ: They broke the basic functionality and workflow that all professionals are used to) than in previous versions.

Thanks, but no thanks.

That's a pretty sweet deal, though for as much as I use Office I can get by with 2003 for a little longer. Plus I'm no longer a student, though my wife could always take advantage, since she has to continue with her education, being a teacher.

I have Microsoft Office 2003 on one machine and OpenOffice on another. I use MS Office a lot more, because I just like it a little more. Certain things are much easier to find in Office, though you could make the argument its because I haven't used OpenOffice enough. I mainly use OpenOffice now, for when I have to take an existing word document, or create a blank one, and turn it to a pdf.

I wonder if I can get 3 copies, since I have 3 university e-mail accounts? UC Santa Cruz, UC Berkeley and UC Davis, haha! get a copy for myself and friend and parents :D

I just downloaded it using my UBC email, but it cost me $64 because I am in Canada...I thought our dollar was worth more.....

What if I buy it but drop my Winter course...do they actually follow up and check?

Regardless of Microsoft's intent, and flames aside, I went for this. It's hard to beat this price for a legit version of Office, especially when your school's idea of a 'student discount' is something like 15% off retail. I used OpenOffice for a long time as well, and for most things it's fine. My mom and dad use it at home, as do my brother and sister. Office compatibility isn't 100% yet though, and I needed to be sure to have that.

Back