Microsoft's Efficient And Precise Interactive Hand Tracking

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft's 3D hand tracking is has come a long way since last time we saw it. Obviously it isn't ready for prime time yet but, after watching this video, I don't think it will be much longer before all the kinks are worked out.

Microsoft and camera's? NOPE! Going to take a page from the book of zuckerberg here and tape it.

webcam_tape.jpg

nice! I've been playing around with the new Orion software from leap motion (for VR) and it's really neat stuff. Not nearly as accurate as this appears though (occlusion is a very real problem with the leap)

Awesome, now bring on the Matrix game so I can finally stop bullets!

E6RooCN.jpg

Given the Hololens and how you interact with it not surprised by this. It has to look at your hands and map what you are trying to do as accurately as possible. Otherwise the system would be worthless.

it still looks pretty shaky and this is probrably the best case represented in the vid

Meh, another thing they'll half ass on the execution and then abandon when no one cares.

It's hard to imagine a non-interactive hand tracking device. So why do we need interactive to describe the device?

I've played with the Leap - it works great at hand tracking. It's not a mouse replacement - you won't want to move windows, click on text, etc. However, work with 3d objects and the Leap is great.
Early Oculus Rift prototypes mounted a Leap to the front of the mask. Too bad Oculus bought another company...not sure how Leap will survive as it has a niche market.

Back