Microsoft's E3 Press Conference

Jerome36

2[H]4U
Overall I thought Microsoft had a really good show. Some things we sort of knew, and other things came as a complete surprise. Microsoft announced 5 new developers being added to the Microsoft Game Studios fold, including Playground Games, which was rumored and makes complete sense. The biggest surprise, in my opinion, was the acquisition of Ninja Theory! I don't know what they will do first, but I'd be all for a huge, AAA Hellblade.

They also announced a new Battletoads game, featuring 4K hand-drawn 2.5D graphics, and 3 player couch co-op. Unfortunately they didn't show anything, and it's not coming until 2019 (barring any delays). The next set of Sea of Thieves DLC got dates. Cursed Sails comes out in July, and it looks like it'll feature skeleton crew/ghost ships, and will also introduce a third boat time. Forsaken Shores, which will introduce a new area of the world, comes in September. Both are free. In all they showed off 50 titles, and I believe 15 of them were world premieres. Here's some of the highlights though:

Halo Infinite
Most of the rumors said it was "Halo: Infinity," so pretty close. There's not much to go on with such a short trailer, but it looks like the old art style is back, the world is very open, and at least in the trailer there's no sign of Loche.

Crackdown 3
They're sticking with a February 2019 release date, so HOPEFULLY that doesn't change. They showed a the actual Terry Crews character, and some more game play footage. It's looks bigger and even more over the top than the original Crackdown.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Microsoft showed a little of this last year, but we got to see some more. Beautiful visuals, and what sounds like another amazing soundtrack, just like the first game.

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
This is DLC, coming out in 2019, featuring a brand new island, that includes new bosses, new weapons, and new charms... and a new playable character: Mrs Chalice.

Forza Horizon 4
Almost all the rumors I saw pointed to it taking place in Japan, but Horizon 4 takes place in Britain, features dynamic seasons, a 60 FPS mode, and looks absolutely gorgeous.

TUNIC

Not going to lie, I'm pretty interested in this one. Yes, it looks like a Zelda game, featuring a cute fox, but the art style is pretty cool, so hopefully there's an interesting story and tight combat and controls.

Gears: Pop, Gears Tactics, Gears of War 5

Rumors were that there were three new Gears of War games in the works, including an XCOM style, turn based tactical game. Microsoft started off with an iOS/Android mobile game featuring Gears of War Funco Pop characters. I didn't see any indication as to what kind of game it is, but then they rolled it into the XCOM style Gears Tactics, which looks to be PC only, and looks sweet. Finally, they unveiled Gears of War 5, which looks great.

Cyberpunk 2077
Microsoft started to end the show and then made it look like they experienced a glitch up on stage. It was a pretty cool way to introduce the trailer

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Microsoft announced some really cool Game Pass news. Fallout 4 became available today, along with The Division, and The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. Halo: The Master Chief Collection will be available later this year, and Forza Horizon 4, Crackdown 3, Ashen, Warhammer Vermintide 2, After Party, and Phoenix Point will be on Game Pass the same day they're released.

Not much exclusive software for 2018, but at least the bulking up of their first party studios will help them in the long run.

Not much exclusive software for 2018, but at least the bulking up of their first party studios will help them in the long run.

Yeah... fortunately Horizon 4, the Sea of Thieves expansions, and a couple upcoming 3rd party titles, will keep me plenty busy until February, when things kick off with the release of Crackdown 3... assuming it doesn't get delayed again, of course. :) Oh, and I think the X Enhanced update for the Master Chief collection comes out later this year as well.

Horizon 4, hell yeah! Seamless online is omething I and others have wanted for a while.

That Halo Infinite trailer BETTER NOT BE A BAIT AND SWITCH. I have not been so excited for a Halo game since Halo 3.

That Halo Infinite trailer BETTER NOT BE A BAIT AND SWITCH. I have not been so excited for a Halo game since Halo 3.

I think it’s a tech demo for the engine, that’s also being used to show off their art style going forward in Halo.

I dug it. A lot.

I think it’s a tech demo for the engine, that’s also being used to show off their art style going forward in Halo.

I dug it. A lot.
Well, it actually looks like Halo... not this over-complicated Michael Bay-esque dumb action movie aesthetic 343 has been attempting to make work for 10+ years.

I really do hope the next Halo is a full-on reboot of the series.

Well, it actually looks like Halo... not this over-complicated Michael Bay-esque dumb action movie aesthetic 343 has been attempting to make work for 10+ years.

I really do hope the next Halo is a full-on reboot of the series.

According to 343 Industries it's a continuation after the events of Halo 5, but it sounds like they've listened to the fans who have been growing tired of switching between characters:

"The team also heard feedback loud and clear on the amount of time spent playing as the Master Chief in Halo 5. In Halo Infinite, the game will focus on the Master Chief and continue his saga after the events of Halo 5."

According to 343 Industries it's a continuation after the events of Halo 5, but it sounds like they've listened to the fans who have been growing tired of switching between characters:

"The team also heard feedback loud and clear on the amount of time spent playing as the Master Chief in Halo 5. In Halo Infinite, the game will focus on the Master Chief and continue his saga after the events of Halo 5."
It's amazing that they didn't take this lesson after Halo 2. I know it's a different developer, but you just don't throw out the knowledge base when developers change.

I'll be curious to see if they really go back to the original Halo games, and do away with all the extra hud stuff that has been in the last several Halo games... like the visor outline over the screen and stuff. I eventually get use to it, and it ends up not being a huge deal, but when I haven't played a newer Halo game in a while it sticks out like a sore thumb.

You forgot Sekiro, it is one the best announcements at Microsoft's E3 presentation. Also Tunic seems to be a lot of fun to play. The studio purchases was a step in the right direction and the confidence booster for Xbox fans. Halo having a new realistic engine and artwork will be a refresh for the franchise. Gears had a solid showing with 3 game announcements. The Battletoads tease was years in the making and they didn't show any screens or artwork. May be at Gamescom we'll see trailers and gameplays.

Back