Microsoft's E3 2010 Keynote

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Obviously the big news this week will be all things E3 related. Kotaku is providing up to the minute live E3 coverage as are the folks at Engadget and Joystiq.


It's Xbox 360 E3 liveblog time here in Los Angeles. And you can watch the event live yourself. Look below for all your E3 news needs, as the biggest announcements from Microsoft of the week for Xbox 360 and Kinect go live at 11 a.m. PT
 
LOL. looks like MS is trying to make up for their earlier blunder by having a black guy do the Kinect demo...
 
I'm not sure, but this guy in the purple jacket and sunglasses could be an even bigger douche than Cliff Blezinski.
 
What's with the guy in the sunglasses and the purple sweatshirt? Geezus hes a douche.
 
The way all this Kinect shit is scripted its really not looking that impressive...
 
new xbox!!!

newxbox.png
 
meh I find it hard to get excited over a new 360 model, its not like I'm going to run out and buy another one
 
Pretty underwhelming overall

MGS Rising looked pretty cool, Star Wars game could be fun too (altho, with Move it could be alot more interesting)

As i expected, launch games for kinetic are bland...

I have high hopes for nintendo (Zelda and 3DS) and sony with hardcore move titles
 
That kinect stuff made me cringe. Pretty poor conference imo.

Most memorable part of the conference was everyone getting a 360 slim for being good sports and sitting through that crapfest.
 
That kinect stuff made me cringe. Pretty poor conference imo.

Most memorable part of the conference was everyone getting a 360 slim for being good sports and sitting through that crapfest.

So, the ability to just sit in front of the TV and videochat with someone without having to line a camera up or configure it or put on a headset or anything (IE, "It just works") isn't good?
Sorry but some of those things showcased are great. The whole workout thing has potential.
Just because YOU may not be using the games that benefit from Kinect doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

Wii sucks for FPS, but it still kicked 360 butt based on the fact it appealed to a good many people that wouldn't video game usually.



The 360 slim is great. I wonder if it draws less power, has a power brick, how much more quiet it is, if it's got beefier hardware, etc. If it does, it might be worth an upgrade. But knock on wood, I have an ORIGINAL run 360 that has never died on me. I don't know if I should take my chances on switching to another unit ;)
 
It's really impossible to overstate how much more visually appealing the Wii is in comparison to the new X360. The original was a little oddball and awkward but not bad, per se. The new one looks severely over-designed.
 
I'm kind of surprised MS didn't go for a slot-loading drive like the other consoles.
 
By the time my refurb Elite (red ring replacement) is dead I should be able to buy the new model for $250 or less.
I don't really want to wait, but I only need one working Xbox 360.
 
Hmm, I can also see the design as a throwback to the original XBox.
 
With the exceptions of hard disk space and improved WiFi, it won't.
Um, how can you be sure? Have you taken one apart? Do you work for Microsoft?

Yes, that's all they ANNOUNCED. As with basically all announcements though, it was for press. They aren't going to run down a long list of technical improvements- they'll just hit the big points- like more space and wireless.

That sucks.
I'm guessing, then... That for $400 you might be able to buy a bundle in November, and save yourself $50 or so versus buying separately? One could hope.
 
Um, how can you be sure? Have you taken one apart? Do you work for Microsoft?
I don't have to work for Microsoft to engage in critical thought. Changing the hardware spec outside of peripherals (WiFi, hard disk, memory cards, etc) introduces greater manufacturing costs. MS has already leveraged economies of scale with the current hardware and aren't going to throw that away. Selling consoles at a loss is one thing; selling them at greater loss voluntarily is quite another. Secondly, segmenting the already very large 360 pool with units with faster processors, more memory, and/or a better GPU will introduce more work for your developers and may ultimately hurt your players.

Think about it, what would you, as a console gamer, gain?
 
Did nobody pick up on the Crytek announcement - from what I heard, they are exclusive to the 360 now?
 
They're doing an X360-exclusive IP. The entire company is not necessarily abandoning other platforms.
 
Time to upgrade to Xbox number 6. Yes I still have all the versions even my very first launch version. Only had 1 RROD so far since launch. I was going to go for SLI GF 470's but I don't want to drop another $200 on a new PS.

Too bad it took MS too long to figure out that built in Wi-Fi is the way to go. I like the tray loaders verses slot loaders. Your discs don't get mess up like my Wii games.

My last update was the MW2 Elite bundle, I'm running 5 boxes under two circuit load without any blown fuses yet. I can't even run my laser printer and pc under full load on two circuits.

Kudo's to MS...

I'm not a console fanboyz, but after buying my last 2 PC games through Steam....Sometimes I like to play my games without any DL of updates! Catch my drift!
 
Can anyone find out more info on ESPN streaming? They didn't give us a release date or anything. Would be sweet if I could watch the Celts win tonight through it.
 
I don't have to work for Microsoft to engage in critical thought. Changing the hardware spec outside of peripherals (WiFi, hard disk, memory cards, etc) introduces greater manufacturing costs. MS has already leveraged economies of scale with the current hardware and aren't going to throw that away. Selling consoles at a loss is one thing; selling them at greater loss voluntarily is quite another. Secondly, segmenting the already very large 360 pool with units with faster processors, more memory, and/or a better GPU will introduce more work for your developers and may ultimately hurt your players.

Think about it, what would you, as a console gamer, gain?
I don't agree with most of this but the backwards compatibility point is a good one.

Maybe Kinect has some on-board processing capability of its own. I'm just worried with already at times, drops in framerate... having Kinect running on top of that slowing things down.

Too bad it took MS too long to figure out that built in Wi-Fi is the way to go. I like the tray loaders verses slot loaders. Your discs don't get mess up like my Wii games.
Even on my laptop that happens. The fact you're sliding the disk into a slot by default introduces greater risk of scratching. And a brand new burned disk has scratches on it... It happens. Advantages of slot-load is just a thinner size.

I'm not a console fanboyz, but after buying my last 2 PC games through Steam....Sometimes I like to play my games without any DL of updates! Catch my drift!
Yea. Pop the disk in and play. "It just works". Exactly why I prefer console gaming myself...
 
Can anyone find out more info on ESPN streaming? They didn't give us a release date or anything. Would be sweet if I could watch the Celts win tonight through it.

It'll be sweet. The whole video/TV interface with Kinect is cool though... Just awesome. Fantastic interface... I wouldn't use it for the games I like to play, but for everything else it's going to be awesome. No more fumbling around for remote control or anything, you just speak and wave your hand...
 
Is it just me or was that the most uncomfortable Keynote in E3 history? So cheesy... those presenters need to get a clue.
 
Back
Top