Microsoft’s Anniversary Update Coming This Summer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft announced today that it will be releasing a free update on the one year anniversary of Windows 10. The update will include stuff like Windows Hello, Windows Ink, Cortana updates and developer mode for the Xbox One. The company also took advantage of today's announcement to let the world know that the HoloLens is available as of today.

Yayyyyy more stuff 98% of us don't need that will require more updates and crash other things we do need.

Less is more MS!

Wonder how many animals will die now from eating the latex of those balloons.

How about new stuff that people actually want/need, like media center or the ability to delay updates?

I'm pretty stoked. All the major areas at their keynote yesterday are awesome. I am glad to see giant leaps and bounds on the tech front.

How about new stuff that people actually want/need, like media center or the ability to delay updates?

I've been a long time user of Windows Media Center but it's simply not a tool for the Netflix\Hulu\YouTube streaming video age that's increasingly dropping cable TV.

Yayyyyy more stuff 98% of us don't need that will require more updates and crash other things we do need.

We didn't need a LOT of shit in computing. There is so much software out there, even with Linux and Mac OSX, that people don't use. But, it's there. You may not need it, but someone does.

This is the challenge. You add that stuff, then get get a post like the above. "More stuff 98% of us don't need and will require more updates...". Media Center was rarely used by many. Those that did use it loved it, though. Delay updates? That's a good one.

Windows Hello is pretty cool, though. Cortana is hit or miss. Some people love her (I use her a bit, not it's not perfect... needs refinement), but most either don't care or don't like her at all. If you use it, it's good. If you don't - it's just another wasted resource..

Windows Hello is pretty cool, though. Cortana is hit or miss. Some people love her (I use her a bit, not it's not perfect... needs refinement), but most either don't care or don't like her at all. If you use it, it's good. If you don't - it's just another wasted resource..

Windows Hello is extremely cool. Cortana, like you say, if you use her can be very useful as well. It's not all about voice but if I'm in the right environment I typically will just say most of my web searches now. This stuff is really just getting started. Voice, biometric and trans KBM interactions with computers is going to become a huge deal, just a matter of time like with most any technology that has obvious convenience to it.

Windows Hello is extremely cool. Cortana, like you say, if you use her can be very useful as well. It's not all about voice but if I'm in the right environment I typically will just say most of my web searches now. This stuff is really just getting started. Voice, biometric and trans KBM interactions with computers is going to become a huge deal, just a matter of time like with most any technology that has obvious convenience to it.

I bring it up in the morning - it tracks my packages being delivered, weather, news, appointments I have that day. It's a nice convenience.

Windows Hello impresses people I show. It's nice to sit down and my computer logs me in automatically. It'll be nice, and different, to have it log me into things within Edge. I'll definitely be trying that out.

The big thing with Cortana - when I have my Surface out, both my PC and the Surface will answer when I do a voice search. Or it'll think "Hey Cortana" was said and start taking input. It's funny when it's a kid and you see what was picked up. :D

I bring it up in the morning - it tracks my packages being delivered, weather, news, appointments I have that day. It's a nice convenience.

I use it similarly.

Windows Hello impresses people I show. It's nice to sit down and my computer logs me in automatically. It'll be nice, and different, to have it log me into things within Edge. I'll definitely be trying that out.

Looking forward to that as well.

The big thing with Cortana - when I have my Surface out, both my PC and the Surface will answer when I do a voice search. Or it'll think "Hey Cortana" was said and start taking input. It's funny when it's a kid and you see what was picked up. :D

LOL! Same experience here. Used to bother me but not as much anymore.

We didn't need a LOT of shit in computing. There is so much software out there, even with Linux and Mac OSX, that people don't use. But, it's there. You may not need it, but someone does.

This is the challenge. You add that stuff, then get get a post like the above. "More stuff 98% of us don't need and will require more updates...". Media Center was rarely used by many. Those that did use it loved it, though. Delay updates? That's a good one.

I agree. The simple solution would be a custom installer like we had up to Windows 98SE where at the beginning of the install you could untick all the stuff you didn't want installed or active (used to untick a lot back then). Is it really that hard? We had it 20 years ago?

It's why I like using ChromeOS more and more. Just quicker and smoother to use than Windows. This stuff should be getting slicker and easier, not more bloated and unwieldy.

I agree. The simple solution would be a custom installer like we had up to Windows 98SE where at the beginning of the install you could untick all the stuff you didn't want installed or active (used to untick a lot back then). Is it really that hard? We had it 20 years ago?

It's why I like using ChromeOS more and more. Just quicker and smoother to use than Windows. This stuff should be getting slicker and easier, not more bloated and unwieldy.

A modular Windows would be perfect. Like installing Linux, you can choose to have the desktop environment (similar to Server Core vs. Server with GUI in Windows Server), plus a lot of other smaller uses - development tools, server stuff, SSH, etc.. If someone wants a tiny, simple workstation without all the bloat, let them have it. Rather than install EVERYTHING then have to remove a ton of stuff (and some that really doesn't go away).

I'd definitely go for that. Install only what you need, nothing more, nothing less.

Not a Chrome user and my only experience with it is only a little time with family devices I've played around with but I have several Atom based Windows tablets with low-end specs and the things are overall pretty zippy.

Will this update come at the exact moment when Windows 10 upgrades are no longer gratis for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users?

Not a Chrome user and my only experience with it is only a little time with family devices I've played around with but I have several Atom based Windows tablets with low-end specs and the things are overall pretty zippy.

I have to say after using ChromeOS for three years, for 98% of general tasks that people do it pulls further and further ahead of Windows for the average user day by day. MS really needs to realise that people don't need all the crap they throw at them. It just gets in the way, slows things down. Not everyone wants to eat at an all you can eat mega buffet every single day.

Will this update come at the exact moment when Windows 10 upgrades are no longer gratis for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users?

Well seeing as how you had to buy something in the first place to get them, Windows 10 upgrades were never actually gratis.

I have to say after using ChromeOS for three years, for 98% of general tasks that people do it pulls further and further ahead of Windows for the average user day by day. MS really needs to realise that people don't need all the crap they throw at them. It just gets in the way, slows things down. Not everyone wants to eat at an all you can eat mega buffet every single day.

If all one needs is a web browser I get your point. I'm just not sure about all of this slowing down. Windows 10 runs pretty well on anything with 2 GB of RAM or more and above a 5400 RPM physical hard disk.

If all one needs is a web browser I get your point. I'm just not sure about all of this slowing down. Windows 10 runs pretty well on anything with 2 GB of RAM or more and about a 5400 RPM physical hard disk.

I am positive I could find a 5400 RPM hard drive that would make Windows 10 run slow......

Yes, I do.

Ultimately this is the only reason to use Windows. There's not a single client OS that comes close to supporting everything that x86 Windows 10 can do. 8.1 is falling behind now. Windows 7 is really only about Win32 desktop apps and no tablet or mobile capability.

The upgrade will be "Extended by popular demand! Our fans have spoken!" every year indefinitely. Sales 101 is trying to create the perception that an offer is time limited.

Put another way, they're not going to suddenly start charging for 10 when they can't even accelerate month over month uptake by giving it away, let alone with forced trojan nagware designed to confuse technically unsavvy Win7 & 8 users into clicking any button just to get rid of the popup, or getting desperate and trying to install it on domain joines machines, then playing stupid that it was "unintentional".

Last edited:
Ultimately this is the only reason to use Windows. There's not a single client OS that comes close to supporting everything that x86 Windows 10 can do. 8.1 is falling behind now. Windows 7 is really only about Win32 desktop apps and no tablet or mobile capability.

While I do like the support and everything Windows can do - I was talking about the all you can eat Mega buffet daily. :D

The upgrade will be "Extended by popular demand! Our fans have spoken!" every year indefinitely. Sales 101 is trying to create the perception that an offer is time limited.

Put another way, they're not going to suddenly start charging for 10 when they can't even accelerate month over month uptake by giving it away, let alone with forced trojan nagware designed to confuse technically unsavvy Win7 & 8 users into clicking any button just to get rid of the popup, or getting desperate and trying to install it on domain joines machines, then playing stupid that it was "unintentional".

I've agreed with this point multiple times. But at this point there's probably not a lot left in terms of significant growth for Windows 10 on the consumer side. But no other significant players in consumer computing devices charge for upgrades.

I rail against Windows 10 every chance I get, honestly, and I took a chance on the new Insider Preview build 14295 just now and yep, I still fucking hate Windows 10 with a passion. Only took 15 minutes to realize "Ok, that was a cluster fuck waste of time and bandwidth yet once again..." - this is like the 3rd time I've installed the preview builds (as I don't use Windows 10 at all really) but after seeing the BUILD keynote yesterday I figured what the hell. I know that build doesn't really have a lot going for it, and almost immediately I was still frustrated from the gitgo because Edge just cannot save its own window position which is something I find to be absolutely fucking absurd at this point in the development process.

Fire up IE12 or whatever version it is, set the window, close it, reopen it, bam, right where I left it. Install Firefox ESR Portable, same thing, window positioning is a non-issue, but now Microsoft's *choke*flagship*cough* browser can't do it and that's just ridiculous.

I saw some interesting things at BUILD during that keynote and after watching some other events at the Channel 9 website, but I'm content knowing that I simply won't use WIndows 10 for my own hardware nor will my wife most likely. I am so utterly disappointed in Windows 10 I can't even adequately convey it with words, honestly.

Oh well, guess El Capitan will just have to suffice on my Latitude with Windows 7 ready to go in VMware Fusion whenever I have to do something on that platform. ;)

I can delay updates. As for media center, there wasn't that many people using it, which is why they dropped it. I know there's a hack that installs it in W10. Is there a reason not to use Plex, Kodi or one of the other alternatives?

Back