Microsoft's Adam Orth Resigns Over Twitter Tirade

HardOCP News

[H] News
Coming as a surprise to absolutely no one, Adam Orth has resigned from his post at Microsoft. File under Twitter hashtag #dealtwith.

Apparently, he said the wrong things on Twitter and it spiraled out of control, resulting in a major embarrassment for Microsoft. We hear that he voluntarily resigned and deeply regrets what happened. His comments set off a storm of criticism about Microsoft and what its intentions on its next game console might be.

Diplomacy doesn't seem to be one of his strong suit. My guess is he's not going to be hired in the PR field anytime soon.

Diplomacy doesn't seem to be one of his strong suit. My guess is he's not going to be hired in the PR field anytime soon.

EA might hire him. If being anti-PR is frowned upon by MS, EA knows how to utilize him to their fullest advantage.

I don't understand this world. He was sarcastic in a funny way.

Who is the drama queen that gets offended by this? Of course the only reason for always on is to combat piracy at the expense of legal users, everyone with an IQ above 10 gets it, yet people gets offended when someone speaks about it in an open view.

It's kind of crazy for a company to ridicule their customers for legitimate concerns about a new product. I don't feel sorry for him.

Who is the drama queen that gets offended by this? Of course the only reason for always on is to combat piracy at the expense of legal users, everyone with an IQ above 10 gets it, yet people gets offended when someone speaks about it in an open view.

When you could cost a company tens of millions on a product yet to be released...you'll be asked to resign.

I think it's also that he wasn't authorized to speak about the next Xbox or perpetrate in rumors regarding it. He was probably breaking NDA hinting that Xbox may be Always Online, even though he never mentioned the Xbox.

He revealed the truth about the next-gen Xbox before MS was wanted us to know about it.

Penalty: Job.

This is more an issue of causing every single e-news site and forum to blow up on Microsoft about always on consoles than it is of offending people. The next XBOX hasn't even been announced yet and already a lot of people have a sour taste in their mouths about it.

What I find amazing is that they still refuse to confirm or deny if the rumor is true. If they denied it, a lot of these PR problems would go away. Then again, it could be true, and they are frantically retracing their steps trying to figure out a course of action.

I remember the story about the guy getting fired for not saying Bing. It's possible it was fake but I wouldn't doubt that is how they operate. Microsoft never wants to be on the bad side of the Customer, otherwise they will go with a competitor.

Don't let employees discuss your organization, or anything vaguely related to your organization, on their personal Twitter accounts.

This is more an issue of causing every single e-news site and forum to blow up on Microsoft about always on consoles than it is of offending people. The next XBOX hasn't even been announced yet and already a lot of people have a sour taste in their mouths about it.

What I find amazing is that they still refuse to confirm or deny if the rumor is true. If they denied it, a lot of these PR problems would go away. Then again, it could be true, and they are frantically retracing their steps trying to figure out a course of action.

He wasn't speaking for Microsoft, he had a personal opinion. Sure you might not like it, but why on earth would you blame Microsoft for it? for crying out loud, just because I work for some company I can't have a personal opinion on the net (right or wrong)?

P.S: I don't like Microsoft, nor do I like the always on-line policy, but the last thing I 'd like to see is the freedom of expression being jeopardized by drama queens.

This story tells me that people prefer being lied in the face, as long as it is a polite lie.

He wasn't speaking for Microsoft, he had a personal opinion. Sure you might not like it, but why on earth would you blame Microsoft for it? for crying out loud, just because I work for some company I can't have a personal opinion on the net (right or wrong)?

You go ahead and tell your boss what you told us. :rolleyes:

In many states, you can be fired for airing your personal opinion in public. Police officers / firemen / public officials can be fired for much less.

I'm sure the NDA he signed says otherwise ;)

He's going to resign with one of the cushiest jobs from one of the biggest software company companies in the world. Plus disrupt his family and life because he felt bad for his employer over a few public comments and thought it was the honorable thing to do. Yup, totally believable.

His comment asks why Steve Ballmer isn't being asked to resign for costing Microsoft millions. I believe he's aware that Orth and Ballmer are different people.

His comment asks why Steve Ballmer isn't being asked to resign for costing Microsoft millions. I believe he's aware that Orth and Ballmer are different people.

I'm aware of that too. My point was that Adam, a mere employee, doesn't have the privilege of breaking NDA as Balmer would. Balmer's the boss. He can do whatever he like.

Just so he doesn't piss off his shareholders, of course.

It seems nobody has ever gained anything from using twitter...Still a mystery why anyone in the spot light would use it.

I work for a major corp and they have rules against posting anything about the company on twitter. You are better off just not saying anything on there.

Wonder if he is no longer a friend of the guy at Bioware, he started this snowball with?

I didn't see that until now. The guy really was kind of a Dick to MS Customers, completely disregarding their concerns and firing back with condescending bullshit.

Buh-Bye !

If you are the catalyst which creates a massive shit storm for your company, well, I can only wonder how the man child got his placement in the first place.

I'm aware of that too. My point was that Adam, a mere employee, doesn't have the privilege of breaking NDA as Balmer would.
Orth didn't break any NDA that I'm aware of. He didn't comment on any specific future Microsoft products.

Are you serious? Speaking for MS or not the dude bashed fans and was a total douche about it, him working for microsoft is exactly why he should have shut the fuck up and let PR handle it.

Once upon a time people understood the basic concept of representing your company. Just because you are off the clock and on your personal twitter dont mean you represent the company one tiny bit less... The things you say reflect on the company you work for, this is not a new concept.

Just so he doesn't piss off his shareholders, of course.

After that, I have to ask the same question: What about Ballmer? :D He's pissed off shareholders for many years.

The guy was kind of a dick. Even if it was his personal account, he was being a representative of Microsoft. Or at least it came off that way. So, it looks real bad on MS for someone to act like that on a public media.

But, the guy is right. I won't buy a vacuum if the power goes out constantly. So, I won't buy an always-on Xbox to play offline, single player games. I'll just buy a PS4 and be fine. I do see his point. The world is changing, internet connections are everywhere, it is just a next step to have an always on connection. I don't like it with it with a game console.

Orth didn't break any NDA that I'm aware of. He didn't comment on any specific future Microsoft products.

And you work for MS and witnessed this guy's contract that specifically states he is not to speak about unannounced products? :rolleyes:

Imagine being Microsoft, you have a completely unsubstantialed rumor flying around about games not playing without an internet connection and then this asshat makes these statements only adding fuel to the fire.

Because Microsoft has made some serious bank under Ballmer, whatever your personal opinion of the man might be.

Back