Microsoft Xbox Elite Controller Vs Razer Wildcat

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I know which one I want just by looking at the two, but here is something more in-depth for those who want to replace their stock Xbox One controller.

Revised over three generations, the Xbox One controller comfortably caters to all genres and in many ways improves upon the standard set by the decade-old Xbox 360 pad. But the question is this: are there better options available for dedicated gamers who want to seek out every last bit of gameplay performance available? Both Microsoft and Razer certainly think so, with the Xbox One Elite controller and the Razer Wildcat positioned as premium products aimed at getting the most out of your games.

Hopefully the elite controller 2 has omaron mechanical switches, I can't justify the price tag they are asking when it still uses the same crappy rubber domes that are in the standard controller.

I like the Elite, but I had to do a warranty exchange after 4 or 5 months, because the hair trigger switch broke on one side and when I talked to the guy at gamestop, he said they'd had a lot of returns for a variety of reason. Honestly, I thought those hair trigger switches would be made of metal, not plastic

Microsoft Xbox Elite controller

Nuff Said....

I'll add to that....It is fucking $150 and STILL runs on batteries!! Microsoft are such cheap conniving motherfuckers that even when paying that much money they can't provide a controller with wireless batteries built in!

Now I will say however that their Xbone controller does run for a long ass time on 2 AAs. I can't compare to Steam Controller, but I will say it more than doubles my PS4 controller.

All the same I am perpetually flabbergasted at the exclusion of being rechargeable for their premium and so called "elite" controller. Just to get the extra $20.

Possibly edit for clarity, but by wireless batteries do you mean a rechargable battery pack?

I'll add to that....It is fucking $150 and STILL runs on batteries!! Microsoft are such cheap conniving motherfuckers that even when paying that much money they can't provide a controller with wireless batteries built in!

Now I will say however that their Xbone controller does run for a long ass time on 2 AAs. I can't compare to Steam Controller, but I will say it more than doubles my PS4 controller.

All the same I am perpetually flabbergasted at the exclusion of being rechargeable for their premium and so called "elite" controller. Just to get the extra $20.
I hate built in batteries, I rather use my own good quality rechargeable that I can pop in and out with ease instead of having to plug my controller in to charge it. Got packs of eneloop and decent charger that can charge batteries 1 at a time at w.e mA i want, instead of in pairs just for this purpose hell they are in my clocks because they work and will hold a charge.

The reason why 2 AA batteries last so goddam long on a xb1 controller is because ps4 controller uses a 1000 mAh li-ion. As opposed to say me shoving 2 1900 mAh(3800 mAh total) LSD Ni-MH which will hold a charge just as well if not better than the cheap li-ion variant i'm sure is in the ps4 controller. Which undoubtedly was used because they wanted the LCD and lights on their controller. There are many reasons why use a XB1 controller over a ps4 to play certain PC games one of those reasons was the battery, i always prefer removable batteries.

Last edited:
I hate built in batteries, I rather use my own good quality rechargeable that I can pop in and out with ease instead of having to plug my controller in to charge it. Got packs of eneloop and decent charger that can charge batteries 1 at a time at w.e mA i want, instead of in pairs just for this purpose hell they are in my clocks because they work and will hold a charge.

The reason why 2 AA batteries last so goddam long on a xb1 controller is because ps4 controller uses a 1000 mAh li-ion. As opposed to say me shoving 2 1900 mAh(3800 mAh total) LSD Ni-MH which will hold a charge just as well if not better than the cheap li-ion variant i'm sure is in the ps4 controller. Which undoubtedly was used because they wanted the LCD and lights on their controller. There are many reasons why use a XB1 controller over a ps4 to play certain PC games one of those reasons was the battery, i always prefer removable batteries.
True, but I find it total BS that it doesn't come with the wireless adapter. For 150, they could include the wireless USB stick. That said, since they don't, there's no reason to include batteries, because it doesn't need them by default

Might I suggest the eneloop pro's for your controller needs? "Only" 500 recharge cycles but 25-30% more battery life and that 3800mAh suddenly becomes over 5000mAh. Even with a weekly charge 500 charge cycles would still last you about ten years

I can't stand playstation-style dome-sticks. My thumbs always feel like they are going to slip off, this is amplified double for the wierd trigger curve which has your fingers applying force perpendicular to the trigger motion... which does not make ANY sense: this is why MOST FPS games use the shoulder buttons for the primary weapon actions in PS4 titles, whereas Xbone FPSs use the (trigger-shaped) triggers. Once I used an Xbone controller, I was hooked.

I can't stand playstation-style dome-sticks. My thumbs always feel like they are going to slip off, this is amplified double for the wierd trigger curve which has your fingers applying force perpendicular to the trigger motion... which does not make ANY sense: this is why MOST FPS games use the shoulder buttons for the primary weapon actions in PS4 titles, whereas Xbone FPSs use the (trigger-shaped) triggers. Once I used an Xbone controller, I was hooked.

PS4 doesn't have dome-shaped sticks, they're concave now similar to the Xbox. I do agree that the trigger buttons on the Xbox Controller feel better, at least to me.

Might I suggest the eneloop pro's for your controller needs? "Only" 500 recharge cycles but 25-30% more battery life and that 3800mAh suddenly becomes over 5000mAh. Even with a weekly charge 500 charge cycles would still last you about ten years
I thought about getting pros but i already have more than enough regular ones which work great charge them up, I can leave them alone for months when i need them pop them in, charge the dead ones every once and awhile, I have 20 AA of them some in remotes and other things. Only wish i bought a bigger battery charger my Opus one only supports 4 at a time, every once and awhile I want to charge like 8 at once instead of having to wait to switch out, not a huge deal the charger knows when to cut mA down when the battery is done but just wish I could get all i want at once.

True, but I find it total BS that it doesn't come with the wireless adapter. For 150, they could include the wireless USB stick. That said, since they don't, there's no reason to include batteries, because it doesn't need them by default
Not sure if the profit would be as big for them they use actual metal in their build of the elite controller that being said that wireless PC dongle is probably cheap for them to make. Still better than ps4 which i believe still doesn't officially support the PC wirelessly, you can make it work with community drivers and a blu-tooth 4.0 adapter still weird sony doesn't offer.

I love my Elite controller! I love that I can just swap stuff out magnetically and that it just 'feels' good in my hand. I am not sure any controller is worth $150 US, but I don't regret spending it now that I have one.

Not sure if the profit would be as big for them they use actual metal in their build of the elite controller that being said that wireless PC dongle is probably cheap for them to make. Still better than ps4 which i believe still doesn't officially support the PC wirelessly, you can make it work with community drivers and a blu-tooth 4.0 adapter still weird sony doesn't offer.

Maybe Sony will start supporting it, since they do PS4 PC remote play. It would make sense to do it.

Back