Microsoft: ‘We’ve been killing PC gaming’

This sounds like a stunt, they've released games as much as they used to.

Mindless publicity to promote Vista, which they say is going to have an emphasis on games because they can't think of a way to actually make their OS more user-friendly.

Don't be too surprised if we end up playing something like a Quake 4 with xbox 360 folks.

-=Nu||=- said:
Oh but owning them with the superior mouse and keyboard might be fun :D

seriously. they'd quickly learn to know when there's only console servers and keyboard/mouse servers

edit: random thought, maybe it would be good for there to be cross-platform competition? then suddenly all those console guys after they've been annihilated in FPS and strat games (racing and sports games i think will always remain controller pad oriented) will want to start investing in PC computers? thus upping microsoft's sales of windows!! ouh they're trickey ones... :p

Vista thus far seems uncompelling. But the proof will be in the puddin'. Microsoft games of quality seem few and far between in my opinion. We shall see. Vista needs to pull a rabbit out of its hat with more then just games....it needs great networking and security. I have been uncompelled with xbox and consoles, so it sounds like a bunch of wind baggin' to me...

Killdozer said:
Heh, if it were possible then the PC folks will just curb-stomp the X360 ones.

It's definitely possible. Check this quote out from gamespy:
"Released simultaneously on PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Xbox, the biggest surprise comes in the form of the PS2 version. With its online multiplayer racing (compatible with the PC NFSU and amazing visual trickery, NFSU on PS2 is my personal favorite."

Btw, I think someone will get the right accessory out this time to allow keyboard and mouse if not MS. Rumor has it sony will outright support them.

The Quake 3 Dreamcast version was compatible with the PC Quake 3 servers.

What Microsoft mean is they're going to pimp all the xbox 360 games onto the PC to make more money, 1 engine, 1 game, 2 platforms - nearly twice the sales?

Microsoft have RUINED PC gaming, it used to be decent graphics which ran well (optimised for PC architecture) along side decent control systems, decent gameplay with sensible save systems so theres no repeating of the lame parts of a game, it was just well...perfect really. Even with steam and HL2 i'd rather have to put up with the abomination that is steam if it meant we got a games designed form the ground up to be a PC title.

If they want to make a console PORT of the game, much like some of the ports to PC then fine port it (GTA series a big sucess) just stay away from cross platform games, never EVER design a game from the ground up to support both platforms because the PC users get all the restrictions of a console and in all fairness I didnt buy my gaming rig to play lame console games!

I'd like to see the Xbox 360 FAIL badly, although I know it wont, I can always hope.

Microsoft should stick to what they do best, thats to mindlessly struggle against the slew of windows bugs and hacks, and leave the PC game development to the people who are prepared to give us PC only titles!

All those people playing halo would not be very good anymore compared to players with mouse/kb on Live!

There's an article on WinInfo about the different editions of Vista that's interesting. It says the Ultimate Edition will have some sort of game performance tweaker. That will be... interesting.. to see. I wonder if it will really help with anything, and if it will still help 4 years down the road when new games and hardware are out.

HRslammR said:
seriously. they'd quickly learn to know when there's only console servers and keyboard/mouse servers

edit: random thought, maybe it would be good for there to be cross-platform competition? then suddenly all those console guys after they've been annihilated in FPS and strat games (racing and sports games i think will always remain controller pad oriented) will want to start investing in PC computers? thus upping microsoft's sales of windows!! ouh they're trickey ones... :p

Or.... if these new consoles come out with keyboard and mouse, and I get one of these new consoles and own all you PC newbs, that all the PC people will start to invest in consoles? :p :p

Nasty_Savage said:
Vista thus far seems uncompelling. But the proof will be in the puddin'. Microsoft games of quality seem few and far between in my opinion. We shall see. Vista needs to pull a rabbit out of its hat with more then just games....it needs great networking and security. I have been uncompelled with xbox and consoles, so it sounds like a bunch of wind baggin' to me...

That is the most intruiging post i have ever read for some reason...

Well I'll probably get vista when it comes out and build a new pc for it, but it does sound interesting if we got to play with consolers, I would prolly enjoy it though.

(I hope Halo 3 is for pc as I enjoyed Halo, but havn't played 2)

Inter console/PC MP capability is a great idea on some levels... But the way hardware advances in the PC world vs. the console world (6 month product refresh vs. 5 year product refresh) halfway through the life of the console you're going to be cut out of a lot of PC games on the market for hardware constraints, unless things suddenly slow down (not likely, eh?). That 'problem' aside, any compatibility for netplay is going to be done in software, not hardware, so who cares? I think they should add it at every given opportunity, if they can.

Think of all the controller-wielding cannon-fodder for FPS MP. Sounds awesome! In the name of fairness, if this is the situation, MS has to provide KB support. :D That and MS makes keyboards and mice, so it's a whole new customer base for their existing division. Sounds like good business to me.

Honestly, if I could use a Mouse & Keyboard instead of gamepad for console games, I'd consider purchasing one.

Nasty_Savage said:
Vista thus far seems uncompelling.

It's always been that way with the MS OS. I felt the same way about WinXP when it came out because I was running Win2K. And still am, actually. I'm just now looking into upgrading to XP, if only for better third party driver support. (Pesky DV cam issues)

XP still doesn't have much if anything on 2K Pro for games, or anything really. Come to think of it, XP doesn't have anything on 2K but a bit of boot speed. It's the third-party assholes who write software that only works on XP - As in, checks if you're running XP - In reality I'm sure it would work fine under 2K if it would install.

TheAcorn said:
Inter console/PC MP capability is a great idea on some levels... But the way hardware advances in the PC world vs. the console world (6 month product refresh vs. 5 year product refresh) halfway through the life of the console you're going to be cut out of a lot of PC games on the market for hardware constraints, unless things suddenly slow down (not likely, eh?). That 'problem' aside, any compatibility for netplay is going to be done in software, not hardware, so who cares? I think they should add it at every given opportunity, if they can.

Think of all the controller-wielding cannon-fodder for FPS MP. Sounds awesome! In the name of fairness, if this is the situation, MS has to provide KB support. :D That and MS makes keyboards and mice, so it's a whole new customer base for their existing division. Sounds like good business to me.

Honestly, if I could use a Mouse & Keyboard instead of gamepad for console games, I'd consider purchasing one.

It's always been that way with the MS OS. I felt the same way about WinXP when it came out because I was running Win2K. And still am, actually. I'm just now looking into upgrading to XP, if only for better third party driver support. (Pesky DV cam issues)

XP still doesn't have much if anything on 2K Pro for games, or anything really. Come to think of it, XP doesn't have anything on 2K but a bit of boot speed. It's the third-party assholes who write software that only works on XP - As in, checks if you're running XP - In reality I'm sure it would work fine under 2K if it would install.

A/B the graphics. I don't think it will be a problem b/c even 4 year old hardware can run stuff like FarCry on low settings. The graphics quality will just have to remain stagnant (as in, when it progresses on the PC, turn down the settings on the console so that it will stay at the same level as before) for the console, while we on the PC move onward.

I think this is a good idea, but KB & mice for consoles will probably emerge if this happens. However, that doesn't make them supperior to a PC, mainly b/c of the absense of upgradability.

One word, they still trying tomaking money. So about the article, just take a look, don't believe it at all.

A/B the graphics. I don't think it will be a problem b/c even 4 year old hardware can run stuff like FarCry on low settings. The graphics quality will just have to remain stagnant (as in, when it progresses on the PC, turn down the settings on the console so that it will stay at the same level as before) for the console, while we on the PC move onward.

I think that if they do that, a lot of console players will complain about two things:
1) How much sexier it looks on the PC
2) How we PC players, with our high-end mice and high resolutions, will be the sniping gods- we'll be able to pixel hunt to our hearts' content!

Back