Microsoft Wants to Lead PC Revolution

iirc it was killed in tf2 because it was so unfair. i mean mouse+keyboard against a thumbstick control? the pc gamers had a huge edge and it just wasnt fair to put the concole gamers up against them. i assume the same logic holds for other games and other consoles. you just cant beat mouse+keyboard for speed and accuracy.

Its called STEAM no one likes your crappy pc service microsoft

i fucking hate games for windows live. amen.

Dear Microsoft,
I don't want you to "lead" any "PC revolution".

We already have Steam. Valve has this one covered.

We don't want more Games For Windows Live crap. We don't want your fake currency system (MS Points). We don't want you to start charging for online play just like you have done on your consoles.

Leave us alone.

Yours,
z2d

exactly. while i love microsoft as a company, they cant lead any pc gaming revolution when steam already started the pc gaming revolution like 10 years ago. and games for windows live couldnt be more of a pain in the ass. ok well it could but i still hate it. please just make games and release them on steam with no forcible gfwl crap.

LOL. The guys at MSFT have been promsing to do this since Vista. They always fail.

Honest guys! NEXT time we'll do some serious stuff on Windows! Really!

I certainly hope MS isn't just vomiting words. I've been converting friends to PC gamers (UPS just dropped my pal's parts on my doorstep and he'll be in the ranks tomorrow). It's a fairly easy argument; whatever happened to the days of 32v32 player matches (read: Starsiege Tribes)? Now we have, what, eight-on-eight Halo at what, 30 frames a sec? The last console game I bought was FFXIII, and before that, I'd have to backtrack a few years.

/rant off

when My original copy of Gears of War for PC can't even save my achievements or "saved" games, we got a serious problem and this was never dealt with. Bioshock didn't work very well on my PC either.

Don't think I'm ever going to buy another ported game or any other games for windows for that matter.

I'll stick with games without games for windows label.

None of what I said is incorrect. Coding GTA 4 or Crysis for example to run on a system with 256 MB main memory (like the PS3) has everything to do with the optimization and lack of OS overhead. Windows XP, which is almost 10 years old likes to use approx 128 MB memory for miscellaneus services, and that's at idle with no user specific applications running. That means you only have 128 MB of memory left on a PC for GTA4, good luck. It's alot more than laughable ini tweaks, and more in the realm of demo scene optimization.

If you're gamming PC is using 256Mb of RAM........ I can't continue w/o getting banned.

Unless they start making the game for pc THEN porting to console they can go and fuck. Im fed up of playing underperforming ports that somehow run well on 360 but run worse on pc's that are multiple times more powerful than the consoles.

Microsoft Wants to Lead PC Revolution
epicrage9.png

“There’s been a fair bit of criticism aimed at Microsoft that we were spending a lot of our focus on console, and we need to be putting resources behind PC as well

They're not just failing to put resources into PC games, they've actively worked against PC gaming in the interests of the xbox. Take Alan Wake for example, the PC game that magically became an xbox exclusive. Of course it makes sense from their point of view, but then along comes this week's head of PC gaming at MS (probably the only person in that department), talking the same old shit about how they're going to take the lead. Fuck off.

It is obvious they would want to actively kill off PC gaming and encourage PC gamers to migrate to the Xbox. By doing this, they can now charge PC gamers to play online, kill off mods and instead charge them for DLC, charge them for overpriced accessories and peripherals like proprietary hard drives, etc. :mad::mad:

They could start by giving us a directx11 build of Alan Wake and actually do the game some justice for the crowd that was initially waiting for it. Horrible Idea by making it a 360 exclusive, I bought it for 360 but there were ALOT of angry PC gamers who had been looking forward to it for a long time.

iirc it was killed in tf2 because it was so unfair. i mean mouse+keyboard against a thumbstick control? the pc gamers had a huge edge and it just wasnt fair to put the concole gamers up against them. i assume the same logic holds for other games and other consoles. you just cant beat mouse+keyboard for speed and accuracy.

i fucking hate games for windows live. amen.

exactly. while i love microsoft as a company, they cant lead any pc gaming revolution when steam already started the pc gaming revolution like 10 years ago. and games for windows live couldnt be more of a pain in the ass. ok well it could but i still hate it. please just make games and release them on steam with no forcible gfwl crap.

If they would ditch GFWL and embrace Steam/Steamworks while remaining the publisher we'd be off to a good start.

“There’s been a fair bit of criticism aimed at Microsoft that we were spending a lot of our focus on console, and we need to be putting resources behind PC as well

They're not just failing to put resources into PC games, they've actively worked against PC gaming in the interests of the xbox. Take Alan Wake for example, the PC game that magically became an xbox exclusive. Of course it makes sense from their point of view, but then along comes this week's head of PC gaming at MS (probably the only person in that department), talking the same old shit about how they're going to take the lead. Fuck off.

Co-signed.

I simply will not believe any of this kind of talk from them until I actually SEE it.

Less than a week ago: Hardly anyone plays PC shooters anymore!

Now: We're committed to PC gaming, seriously!

The big problem I have is I have felt that since the XBox, Microsoft has gone out of their way to harm PC gaming to make their console seem more appealing.

The problem I have with Microsoft is simply that they have too much control. It's a conflict of interest, IMO, and I have no idea why the FTC hasn't stepped in yet.

They develop Windows, the most common PC gaming platform. They develop DirectX, the most common gaming API. They also develop the Xbox, a competitor to PC gaming. That means they're competing against their own product - and so naturally, they're going to make PC gaming less attractive since consoles make them more money.

The next step for them is GFWL, and I have a problem with that too. Remember when they released it and they charged the same $50 per year they charge for their console kiddies (pathetic since it's P2P - charge for the privilege of multiplayer gaming AND require you to host it)? Well, they want to do that again. Since the original plan flopped, they want to get as many games and gamers as possible to use GFWL, and then they'll start charging again. The only way to make sure that doesn't happen is not to use GFWL, and luckily the PC gaming community doesn't seem to be.

Less than a week ago: Hardly anyone plays PC shooters anymore!

Now: We're committed to PC gaming, seriously!

The problem I have with Microsoft is simply that they have too much control. It's a conflict of interest, IMO, and I have no idea why the FTC hasn't stepped in yet.

They develop Windows, the most common PC gaming platform. They develop DirectX, the most common gaming API. They also develop the Xbox, a competitor to PC gaming. That means they're competing against their own product - and so naturally, they're going to make PC gaming less attractive since consoles make them more money.

The next step for them is GFWL, and I have a problem with that too. Remember when they released it and they charged the same $50 per year they charge for their console kiddies (pathetic since it's P2P - charge for the privilege of multiplayer gaming AND require you to host it)? Well, they want to do that again. Since the original plan flopped, they want to get as many games and gamers as possible to use GFWL, and then they'll start charging again. The only way to make sure that doesn't happen is not to use GFWL, and luckily the PC gaming community doesn't seem to be.

I know I'm going to get into trouble for this but here goes: I am seeing more native game support on Apple. Good. I want them more involved, I want OTHERS more involved. The more the merrier.

I want more competition in this field so no one company whether it be MS or anyone else can have the kind of control you're talking about like this ever again.

I know I'm going to get into trouble for this but here goes: I am seeing more native game support on Apple. Good. I want them more involved, I want OTHERS more involved. The more the merrier.

I want more competition in this field so no one company whether it be MS or anyone else can have the kind of control you're talking about like this ever again.

You're not going to get in trouble for speaking the truth.

The 360 and the PC do not directly compete, only spiritually if that makes any sense.

The 360 and the PC do not directly compete, only spiritually if that makes any sense.

Agreed, they do not directly compete since the PC is a more general-purpose platform compared to the Xbox which is strictly for gaming. Microsoft still controls the two most common gaming platforms in existence - Windows and their console. In my opinion, they should be forced (by the FTC) to spin one of those divisions off.

Agreed, they do not directly compete since the PC is a more general-purpose platform compared to the Xbox which is strictly for gaming. Microsoft still controls the two most common gaming platforms in existence - Windows and their console. In my opinion, they should be forced (by the FTC) to spin one of those divisions off.

Ummm, yeah, no. They don't have a monopoly on the console market. Wii, or PS3? As far as the PC market, there are of plenty of options on that side as well. You're not going to see much of anything on this side of the pond done against MS.

Ummm, yeah, no. They don't have a monopoly on the console market. Wii, or PS3? As far as the PC market, there are of plenty of options on that side as well. You're not going to see much of anything on this side of the pond done against MS.

Options for PC gaming? Well, there's Linux. You can also buy a Mac, or use less-than-legal means, and run OS X. Neither of those have a large amount of games, particularly AAA games. It's mostly indie stuff.

I'm not complaining that they have a monopoly on the console market - I couldn't care less about that market. And if the Xbox division was spun off, they certainly wouldn't have a monopoly since as you said there are valid alternatives that offer most of the same games. However, for Microsoft to be controlling Windows _and_ a console is a conflict of interest in my book. They're going to make more money on the console, naturally, and so they will do what they can to make Windows less appealing for that purpose.

Options for PC gaming? Well, there's Linux. You can also buy a Mac, or use less-than-legal means, and run OS X. Neither of those have a large amount of games, particularly AAA games. It's mostly indie stuff.

I'm not complaining that they have a monopoly on the console market - I couldn't care less about that market. And if the Xbox division was spun off, they certainly wouldn't have a monopoly since as you said there are valid alternatives that offer most of the same games. However, for Microsoft to be controlling Windows _and_ a console is a conflict of interest in my book. They're going to make more money on the console, naturally, and so they will do what they can to make Windows less appealing for that purpose.

Their target market, or the market they should be targeting on the PC side doesn't care about the 360, or they own one on the side. Microsoft should know this, and I also dont think they're trying to make windows any less appealing for any reason.

Their target market, or the market they should be targeting on the PC side doesn't care about the 360, or they own one on the side. Microsoft should know this, and I also dont think they're trying to make windows any less appealing for any reason.

That's how stupid it is and lacking in common sense.

MS could be kicking ass on two fronts instead of just one. I know there's a lot of money on the console side. That's fine. Do what you do there but why does it have to come at the expense of PC gaming to the point that a number of us have come to view MS as practically an enemy if not the CHIEF enemy to PC gaming outright?

I don't get it.

They're going to make more money on the console, naturally, and so they will do what they can to make Windows less appealing for that purpose.

DirectX11 and any number of other innovations they have brought to the table says otherwise. Just because they are a game studio as well doesn't make a difference, the general market as plenty of game developers, the fact they are making mostly crap isn't MS' fault. Just like movies ATM, most of the suck and people are trying to blame piracy, when it is simply a lack of good product. MS provides a great platform for gaming with Win7, the fact that game developers haven't come up with good games isn't their fault.

That's how stupid it is and lacking in common sense.

MS could be kicking ass on two fronts instead of just one. I know there's a lot of money on the console side. That's fine. Do what you do there but why does it have to come at the expense of PC gaming to the point that a number of us have come to view MS as practically an enemy if not the CHIEF enemy to PC gaming outright?

I don't get it.

I'm in 100% perfect agreement with that, it's a shame. They are going to have to step up pc gaming because it's something that separates and that they do better (even half assed) than their competitors. They are gonna start losing more ground to apple in the consumer market and Chrome OS is right around the corner.

On the IT and business front they will be fine as they have such a strong foot hold and there's really no good competitor to ad/gp.

None of what I said is incorrect. Coding GTA 4 or Crysis for example to run on a system with 256 MB main memory (like the PS3) has everything to do with the optimization and lack of OS overhead. Windows XP, which is almost 10 years old likes to use approx 128 MB memory for miscellaneus services, and that's at idle with no user specific applications running. That means you only have 128 MB of memory left on a PC for GTA4, good luck. It's alot more than laughable ini tweaks, and more in the realm of demo scene optimization.

The PS3's OS (for SDK 1.60) uses 52 MB of main memory and 32 MB of graphics memory (84 MB total). Also, the memory used by XP is paged. If it actually used 128mb by itself it would never boot on a system running the min requirements, which is 64mb.

And no, a lot of that would still fall under ini tweaks (well, resource tweaks as well) since the largest things by far are the resources (textures, sounds, etc...). There are ways to code around it, but those ways exist on the PC as well (texture streaming is the biggie, which we've all seen in just about every UE3 engine game). They get within the memory budget by reducing quality (this goes back to the crazy low resolution thing again, allowing for lower res textures without anyone noticing).

In other words, the "optimizing" you are talking about (memory budget) isn't optimizing at all, it's reducing the quality until it's playable.

Oh wow, Microsoft wants a PC Revolution. I guess that means they will release Halo 3, Halo Reach, Fable 2, Fable 3, and Alan Wake?

release a console with native keyboard / mouse support and i will buy it. unbalanced? implement a simple filter option. problem solved, everyone wins

filter by:
- keyboard / mouse
- controller
- don't give a shit

well, i dunno about wins... devs would still probably have to make dumbed down pieces of shit

if this is actually true, this is very good news for pc gamers...

i was having a converstion with some friends last nite, saying that i am on my last 'gaming' pc as i do not see the value in it anymore
pc gaming is always my preference ; and i gont mind playing console gamnes on pc - as long as they are 'optimised' for the pc , not just (poorly) ported over from x360/ps3

Back