Microsoft updates issue

Mad Machinist

[H]ard|Gawd
Picked up a Toshiba satellite 1800-254 laptop........got it home and went to install extra software and it locked up......weird lock up as well...I could click on say....Start, Turn Off Computer...and the buttons would show up ....but click on the turn off button...or the restart....nothing. Had to reboot by disconnecting the battery and the power cable.....did a format and clean install of XP pro....managed to get the drivers loaded.....but went back to locking up. Tried to download rom Microsoft Updates.......just get the checking for updates screen with the green scrolling worm....just never finds any.
Get pissed do a clean install of W2K.........load all the drivers.....everything is fine....... load service pack 4.....from network...all is well.....down load and install SP1 for IE6...still cool........try to download updates......the green worm for hours........fortunately we aren't locking up in W2K.....but it is getting damn irritating.......anyone have any ideas before I box it up and ship it back to the guy I got it from? I'd really like to keep it.......and it was a great deal...and the seller swears he had been using it with no problems.
Helllllllllllllllp

Just reloaded W2K .....loaded a bunch of stuff and downloaded media player and IE6 SP1

went for the updated.....nothing..........just the screen searching for updates.......

Any one ever run into this one?

Man I remember those things. Had a bunch with flickering lcds(Toshbias fix was to glue some wires apart, did this repair a few times....)

That model also had some weird video issues where it would get lines in the screen playing videos. That was a driver update to fix.

Some issues with shutdowns and stuff where heat related. Make sure you are running bios 1.8 or later. Also regreasing the cpu couldn't hurt.

Try clearing out your internet cache, and running Windows Update again.

Already tried the internet cache......but very little if anything there.....was and is a fresh clean install of w2k.........runs flawlessly as far as I can see so far...just won't download updates..............as far as a heat issue.......it dosen't lock up in w2k...only XP, and then it will still allow you to click on items......just dosen't do anything. I tried to shut down in XP.....start...shutdown...got the little buttons....clicked shutdown.....nothing......very strange,,,,,,,

Turns out Toshiba Bios has an issue with SP2 in XP and sp4 in W2K. Did a clean install of w2k with sp3 and then went to updated....sp4 installed clean and all the updates after.

Back