Microsoft Update scans forever

Vashypooh

2[H]4U
I just did a fresh install of Windows XP on my laptop and when i go to update using microsoft update, it just scans. and scans. and scans some more. CPU usage sits at 50%. After around 10min it was just still going. Ive never ever had this happen before. Whats going on here?

I just started updateing with windiz update at the moment. Is there any way to fix the regular stuff?

I seem to recall having a similar problem previously, its a known MS issue I think.

Google some stuff along the lines of 'windows update website fails' and stuff. You'll stumble across it eventually.

Its been a while but I think its to do with needing to re-register some dlls. If you see a site talking about regsvr32 your probably on the right track.

Soz I couldn't be more help.

try going to start - run - services.msc. Stop Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). While they are stopeed, go to your windows folder and delete or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. Once folder is changes, start back up Automatic Updates only... don't manually start BITS.

This folder holds findings from scans of your computer for windows update purposes (and downloaded files from the windowsupdate website) + removing or renaming it usually fixes most problems with the windowsupdate website.

I've also worked around this issue by clearing out all of my temp files and internet cache. CCleaner will do this for you easily.

^^^ IE7 does that in one easy step as well.

MS Update seems to take forever on some systems. Waiting 10 minutes is not "forever". I have had it take as long as 30 minutes at some points.

Microsoft Update can take a long time under 2 conditions. One is you have Microsoft Office version 2002 (Office XP) or newer installed. And if it's the first time you ran Microsoft Update manually it may need some "required" updates to be installed (genuine advantage).
If you have a lot of updates which are needed it can take a long time. Be patient.

The other option is to stick with Windows Update and then go to Office Update and manually update Office from there. If you have Office 2000 you need to do that because Microsoft Update doesn't work for Office 2000.

I tried the above suggestions of clearing stuff out and such and after letting it scan for around 2 hours i just used windiz update. After i ran windiz update a few times through microsoft update started working. I'm assuming its just because of how shoddy the update is. Well thanks everyone hehe.

Back