Microsoft to Offer Refunds on Digital Xbox One and PC Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Leaked images have revealed that Microsoft is offering a “self-service” refund system, which is great news for those of us who are routinely tricked into buying bad ports and other trash on the Xbox or Windows Store. It is actually very similar to what Steam has been doing: gamers can get a full refund if the game was purchased within two weeks or has less than two hours of playtime. I wonder if Sony and Nintendo will follow suit.

…games are "eligible for self-service refunds within 14 days of purchase if you have less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts." However, "DLC, season passes, and add-ons are not eligible for self-service refunds." Additionally, "the game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund" and "you must wait for at least 1 day after the game or app's release before requesting a self-service refund." Microsoft also states that "certain Windows 10 apps may not be eligible for self-service refunds" and it "reserves the right to block access for users who abuse self-service refunds."

I haven't checked non-Steam stores in a while, are there any deals to be had? Last time I checked for an older console game, Amazon had new copies for $20 while the Xbox store still had it for $60. I'm pretty sure peace-of-mind for a game isn't worth $40.

Although, I guess I could buy the digital copy at $60, find out if I like it, then return it and pick up retail. But I'm pretty sure that will put me on the short list for abusing self-service refunds. :cool:

gamers can get a full refund if the game was purchased within two weeks or has less than two hours of playtime.

I believe that "or" should be an "and". Two weeks is easily enough time to finish a game, so it didn't make sense to me as written.

Wow, MS ironfisted store policies having to adapt. Desperation must really be setting in for them to lift Steam's refund policy verbatim.

Perhaps eventually, maybe in a few more years they'll learn the other thing that makes people prefer buying on Steam: price.

I haven't checked non-Steam stores in a while, are there any deals to be had? Last time I checked for an older console game, Amazon had new copies for $20 while the Xbox store still had it for $60. I'm pretty sure peace-of-mind for a game isn't worth $40.

Although, I guess I could buy the digital copy at $60, find out if I like it, then return it and pick up retail. But I'm pretty sure that will put me on the short list for abusing self-service refunds. :cool:

Every once in a while there are some fantastic deals through Microsoft. I remember buying Alien Isolation on Xbox for like $5 and I think I also scored Outlast for the same price. There have been others, but I can't recall at the moment. Haven't turned my Xbox on in months.

Desperation must really be setting in for MS to lift Steam's refund policy verbatim.

Perhaps eventually, maybe in a few more years they'll learn the other thing that makes people prefer Steam: price.

Knew it wouldn't be long until someone like you posted.

Maybe they are giving a customer requested feature? no no, must be going out of business desperation.

There is no such thing as originality anymore, anything you do someone else likely has done.

Also have seen plenty of times, "wish microsoft and sony would do what steam does" on so many functions, as a business you want to let your customers tell you what they want ideally.

And as far as price, i bought many of my psn and xbox games for half off sales that frequently happen not more than a couple months after a new launch. Steam does lots of sales but at least lately for me the ones I want to see go on sale, end up 5% off at best.

Some people can't be pleased, that can't be helped.

For those of us that can be affected by this, it comes off as a good move.

At the same time, I wish companies would hire a someone or a small team to try out these games. That way they can stop junk games from hitting the market in general.

Maybe they are giving a customer requested feature? no no, must be going out of business desperation.

There is no such thing as originality anymore, anything you do someone else likely has done.

Also have seen plenty of times, "wish microsoft and sony would do what steam does" on so many functions, as a business you want to let your customers tell you what they want ideally.

And as far as price, i bought many of my psn and xbox games for half off sales that frequently happen not more than a couple months after a new launch. Steam does lots of sales but at least lately for me the ones I want to see go on sale, end up 5% off at best.

Cool. Point was its disingenuous when MS has to be dragged kicking and screaming into improving anything, and being among the last to do it. That's their pattern. Remember the Xbone launch? Backpedal, backpedal because they got spanked - but they'd already telegraphed their true intentions, and it cost them. They first approach everything with the mentality like they have a monopoly or are the only solution, and then eventually once superior offerings have passed them by, they're forced to adapt. Are they the only company guilty of this, no, but MS has a predictable pattern.

Had they been first out of the gate with "2 Hours or 2 weeks" then the "Well our fans spoke, we listened!" PR line wouldn't be such an eye roller.

Last edited:
Had they been first out of the gate with "2 Hours or 2 weeks" then the "Well our fans spoke, we listened!" PR line wouldn't be such an eye roller.

Obviously, couldn't be that Steam had a good idea and Microsoft followed suit... Nope, the disingenuous bastards were forced into offering refunds and ripping off Steams idea. :rolleyes:

This is a joke right? Who the hell uses the windows store to buy games? I would assume if you did, some trickery was involved.

*Sigh* Here we go again. :rolleyes: Lets see: Gears of War 4, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Forza 6 Apex, Quantum Break, Silence - The Whispered World 2, Recore and probably one or 2 others I cannot think of at the moment. Also, 3 of those games are on the Play Anywhere list which means I also have them on my XBox One to play there, if I wish.

Obviously, couldn't be that Steam had a good idea and Microsoft followed suit... Nope, the disingenuous bastards were forced into offering refunds and ripping off Steams idea. :rolleyes:

LOL! :D By that definition, Steam ripped of the idea of refunds from everyone else. :D :) Oh well, good ideas are good.

Edit: Oops, I did not realize you where responding to the usual MS disliker, my bad. :D

Just point out that Sony isn't really doing that well fiscally.
MS on the other hand has been better, but Jesus Sony.

I was going to type a longer post, but all I'll say is any cynicism about Microsoft's practices in the gaming space has been well earned over a long period of time.

What I want is to be able to download games I bought even if they can no longer be sold. I don't care if I had to store them in my one drive space without the ability to get to them. I just want my darned purchase!

Back