Microsoft To Appeal UK 'SkyDrive' Ruling

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft doesn't seem too happy about losing that trademark case over the name "SkyDrive." According to this report, the company is planning to appeal the decision.

"This case is only about the SkyDrive name and has nothing to do with service availability or future innovation," the spokesperson said in a statement. "The decision is one step in the legal process and Microsoft intends to appeal."

MS paying some one oh noes that's the end of MS. Pay up and shut your pie holes.

My search-fu is failing me but I believe this is settled law over here thanks to Stelios and his 'Easy' companies like EasyJet.

MS paying some one oh noes that's the end of MS. Pay up and shut your pie holes.

Wrench once again saying something derogatory and critical of Microsoft, oh noes. :rolleyes: It is still amazing to me that you can hate something so much and yet still not feel the slightest problem with making money off those things you hate. :D

Well, we will have to wait and see what happens.

Wrench once again saying something derogatory and critical of Microsoft, oh noes. :rolleyes: It is still amazing to me that you can hate something so much and yet still not feel the slightest problem with making money off those things you hate. :D

Well, we will have to wait and see what happens.

They have no problem screwing the people that sell their shit. What should I feel bad about?

Are you asking for loyalty ? There is no such thing, its always about the bottom line.

funny MS being victim of another large company's broad name trademark.
HA-HA

I can't say I was ever confused about Skydrive and Sky, but then I was introduced to the former as "Microsoft's new cloud storage offering 'Skydrive'" back before windows 8. But I could totally see someone who's not particularly tech savvy, getting a new computer and seeing a 'Skydrive' tile and assuming its something from Sky TV or Broadband.

Sky aren't just a big TV provider here (Presumably MS must have been courting them with the XBone), but they're a pretty major ISP as well as the owner of the 'Cloud' Wi-fi hotspot service. An online cloud storage service called Skydrive sounds exactly like something they would do.

They're also part owned by the same family that own Fox, but I try not to hold that against them.

The whole trademark/tradedress thingy is bizarre.

No matter how stupid it is, you must fight anything that infringes on your branding.

If you don't, it will become public domain.

Hence why you read stories about huge companies hassling insignificant small businesses.

And what if a Fortune 500 tries to steal you small business branding?

You act fast, and hope a letter will clear it up. Otherwise you'll get fucked.

Southern California Edison started to use our name for the same kind of business in a 50 mile radius. Quality Inspection = Dimensional Inspection Services.

Luckily they backed off after a letter and renamed. No freakin' way I could fight a multi-billion monopoly.

The whole trademark/tradedress thingy is bizarre.

No matter how stupid it is, you must fight anything that infringes on your branding.

If you don't, it will become public domain.

Hence why you read stories about huge companies hassling insignificant small businesses.

You say "it will become public domain" like that is ipso facto a bad thing. In my field I see people copyright/mark their work into oblivion, and it does indeed not become public domain...so much so that the work and the person who made it are never heard of again....but at least they have secure copyrights for their intellectual property that they own, that no one knows exists and therefore no one wants.

There's a fine line.

And what if a Fortune 500 tries to steal you small business branding?

You act fast, and hope a letter will clear it up. Otherwise you'll get fucked.

Southern California Edison started to use our name for the same kind of business in a 50 mile radius. Quality Inspection = Dimensional Inspection Services.

Luckily they backed off after a letter and renamed. No freakin' way I could fight a multi-billion monopoly.

You could just change your name to Gadget Inspectors and you could name yourself Inspector Gadget. That'd be the best thing ever and no one's done that before.

And piss off Hollywood?

Don't need 100,000 lawyers crawling up my ...

Back