Microsoft To Acquire LinkedIn

Seems like a lot of people don't even know what exactly LinkedIn is and keep thinking it as a Resume company ...etc

The company split into 3 part. Talent solution, Marketing solution, Sales solution. Each one of them is a individual entity. And yes, they are much bigger than what most people think it is. It's mostly for corporate, not for average consumer except Lynda and front page of LinkedIn.

Most people are underestimating what LinkedIn really is here. The deal for $26B is actually a bargain for M$, which also doesn't make much sense to me while it's already recovering from Goldman Sach's trap during Q1.

Man I don't think you get it. There are 39 posts before yours from tech heads basically saying it's utter crap and they won't / don't use it. Multiply that exponentially out into whatever market you think LinkedIn has going for it and we're looking at LinkedIn as the next MySpace; over valued, over hyped and no real tangible asset. When LinkedIn starts abusing their customers, they'll close their free email accounts and walk away, just like they did with MySpace.

They're already trying to monetize your contact info and people won't stick around for it. Here's an example sales pitch I got from a LinkedIn email address (now deleted) outside of LinkedIn.

James Miller the spammer said:
I am reaching out to you from Network After Work, which is a business networking event company. I wanted to invite to our next event on (redacted) from 6-9pm. Because you share a few connections and a similar background to a few past attendees I wanted make sure you and/or your company are represented at our next event.

RSVP or Learn More

We expect close to 200 career minded professionals and business owners from over 30+ industries to be in attendance. Here are some ways you will benefit:

New Connections – Our attendees will help with leads and referrals – if they can’t help you they will refer you to someone outside of the event who can

Publicity – We have a very active database of 30,000+ local professionals that would be happy to learn about and promote your company

Fun – This is a great atmosphere to relax after work while increasing your network and promoting your business.

To RSVP or for more information click: RSVP or Learn More

Use promo code NAW20 to receive 20% off tickets.

Do you want to see an event in action? Or see the profiles of the people who have attended? Watch a past event video or join our Linkedin Community of over 112,000 professionals.

Past Event Video Linkedin Group

Sincerely,

James Miller - Founder - Network After Work

Connect with me on Linkedin.

Man I don't think you get it. There are 39 posts before yours from tech heads basically saying it's utter crap and they won't / don't use it. Multiply that exponentially out into whatever market you think LinkedIn has going for it and we're looking at LinkedIn as the next MySpace; over valued, over hyped and no real tangible asset. When LinkedIn starts abusing their customers, they'll close their free email accounts and walk away, just like they did with MySpace.

They're already trying to monetize your contact info and people won't stick around for it. Here's an example sales pitch I got from a LinkedIn email address (now deleted) outside of LinkedIn.

You clearly did not read anything in my post and not even understand what exactly is under LinkedIn.

FYI Hint: it's not www.linkedin.com

I understand it. Maybe you don't understand that they re-book the same revenue multiple times across their 3 tiers to make their balance sheets juicier than it really is? Each of those 3 can overlap each other inflating the value of the whole.

Regardless, all 3 of their current streams are dependent on the freebasing their doing sucking off their user population. When the users say "Fuck You" and dry up, so does their revenue.

I understand it. Maybe you don't understand that they re-book the same revenue multiple times across their 3 tiers to make their balance sheets juicier than it really is? Each of those 3 can overlap each other inflating the value of the whole.

Regardless, all 3 of their current streams are dependent on the freebasing their doing sucking off their user population. When the users say "Fuck You" and dry up, so does their revenue.

Once again, you didn't even know what services LinkedIn offer at all. It isn't the www.linkedin.com that average user like you who is using it. Sales navigator is another service as just a example of it. It has nothing to do with typical user or their contributions. It's purely for sales people like those who use Sales Force services.

Even when the "resume" or "recruiting" service is down from LinkedIn, the company still has plenty other services like Lynda that is still running just fine. It isn't a resume website or recruiting company that people stuck in typical people's mind.

Even if user said "Fuck You", the company still stand.

Once again, you didn't even know what services LinkedIn offer at all. It isn't the www.linkedin.com that average user like you who is using it. Sales navigator is another service as just a example of it. It has nothing to do with typical user or their contributions. It's purely for sales people like those who use Sales Force services.

Even when the "resume" or "recruiting" service is down from LinkedIn, the company still has plenty other services like Lynda that is still running just fine. It isn't a resume website or recruiting company that people stuck in typical people's mind.

Even if user said "Fuck You", the company still stand.

No, it would seem that you are the one that just doesn't grasp LinkedIn. I'm not saying it's purely a resume site. It's a social network primarily that leverages that network for various revenue streams. Where do you think Sales Navigator and their other 'tools' builds these "Sales Prospects" from? The existing userbase. When that userbase dries up, so does Sales Navigator et al. As for Lynda, there's no way that $1B purchase is now worth $26B.

No, it would seem that you are the one that just doesn't grasp LinkedIn. I'm not saying it's purely a resume site. It's a social network primarily that leverages that network for various revenue streams. Where do you think Sales Navigator and their other 'tools' builds these "Sales Prospects" from? The existing userbase. When that userbase dries up, so does Sales Navigator et al. As for Lynda, there's no way that $1B purchase is now worth $26B.

Last reply, sales navigator has nothing to do with its typical user base from linkedin main site. I can't tell anything more than that. It also just one of many other services that LinkedIn provide for enterprise / companies. Not for average consumer, which is what LinkedIn is trying to get away from for awhile now.

I can't tell anything more than that.
ooooooohhh. So you must be one of those 'jobdiva' type of partners doing targeted 'marketing' to all those poor unfortunate lost souls that just don't understand the value of such necessary services. You shoulda just said so in the beginning.

Oh, so it's a more recent thing. Ah well, I don't use Lynda anyway. Just a weird association.

Me IRL:

Deleted my account over a year ago...still gets spammed by LinkedIn

Gates needs to come back and save the company before he gets too old.

I don't know what insanity you are talking about where Gates was considered the Jobs of MS or something. He ruthlessly created and maintained a monopoly while doing his best to navigate legal hurdles. He got out at exactly the right time, when his monopoly started to show fractures and they needed some fresh blood. Balmer however was a disaster. Nadella seems to be doing a pretty good job, why interrupt that.

I don't know what insanity you are talking about where Gates was considered the Jobs of MS or something. He ruthlessly created and maintained a monopoly while doing his best to navigate legal hurdles. He got out at exactly the right time, when his monopoly started to show fractures and they needed some fresh blood. Balmer however was a disaster. Nadella seems to be doing a pretty good job, why interrupt that.

I think Windows as a product 'won' on it's own merits, but I also completely agree on the monopolistic behavior. I think Microsoft's various components would actually be stronger today as separate companies. Microsoft has overextended itself and it can't attract enough real talent. With PC sales down the Xbox and the home desktop PC are now direct competitors. Edge is a joke. Bing is a joke. Windows 8 was broken, Windows 10 is a downgrade from 7. Their phone division is a complete failure. They missed the boat on low-cost tablets. Their current behavior (including EULA changes, forced OS modifications, breaking windows update for 7 users, and integrated advertising/data mining on Windows 10) is frustrating. The company needs somebody with prestige and experience to come in and clean house.

Pretty much all of those are Balmer and even Gates failures. Windows 10 being worse than 7 is, I'm sorry to say, arguable and I don't think 95% of the public cares (which I don't think could be said about 8). While we may be annoyed with their aggressive strategy to push out Windows 10, it worked with very minor backlash and they now have a level of control over their users they never have had. It will be interesting how they leverage that, we are all just guessing now.

Beyond that, you forgot to mention the massive successes of Azure and Office365, both of which were a huge pivot from old strategies and continue double digits growth year over year. AWS currently being their only real competitor. The rest are still pretenders.

They are fine, only a fool would be asking to oust Nadella right now.

Their current behavior (including EULA changes, forced OS modifications, breaking windows update for 7 users, and integrated advertising/data mining on Windows 10) is frustrating

Oh and yes. I hate that to. Most people have no clue this is a thing and likely never will. No worse than Google or Apple, actually probably a little better than Google, but certainly subject to change. And while it changes, the masses will continue to not care.

Last edited:
I think the people that take issue with Microsoft's data mining are confusing the reality with the potential. They collect data to improve the behavior of their apps and pinky swear they aren't doing anything else with it. Apple does the same. Difference is Apple has been doing this a long time, MS just started.

Google of course shamelessly whores your data out. Both Apple and MS could start doing this at any time.

I'm sure they use some data for helpful reasons, but don't kid yourself. And no, Microsoft isn't new at this, lol. Apple also isn't whoring out data like Google is.

LinkedIn... the social site i joined once for some work thing. Now i get emails that people endorsing me for talents which i do not posses... yay!

I think the people that take issue with Microsoft's data mining are confusing the reality with the potential. They collect data to improve the behavior of their apps and pinky swear they aren't doing anything else with it.
OH yes. "We just spy on you to make our services better, you see. So really, we're all about YOU, our beloved customer. Trust Us!™"

MS just started.
LMFAO.

Really people should be crediting Microsoft on their innovative industry first; They've outsourced their CEO to India!

I still don't know why they paid a 50% premium, but it really didn't cost them as much as it seems. At least $9 billion is a tax write off and the loan they took was basically on money they can't bring into the US.

Anyhow, I'm thinking that they believe, along with Yammer and Sharepoint they believe they now have a detailed dossier on most of corporate america now. Why not take that and integrate it into existing products? Using Microsoft CRM to cold call customers? Now you can look up information on who you are calling. Got a meeting with the CEO of a company tomorrow? When Cortana reminds you, now she'll have some info on what they've done lately.

OH yes. "We just spy on you to make our services better, you see. So really, we're all about YOU, our beloved customer. Trust Us!™"

LMFAO.

You do realize the fines, backlash, and other legal problems we'd have if we went beyond doing what we state in the privacy statement, right?

Oh, who am I kidding? It's DPI, for whom Microsoft can do no right and must have some hidden agenda to spy on our customers. The reason telemetry is important is for finding out why apps crash or which features aren't used (either at all or as expected), and fix them. Crashes are mined to find unknown security bugs, unforeseen corner cases that cause aberrant behavior, and similar things that we cannot reasonably find internally. Feature usage is investigated to detect things like non-crashing behavior that is nonfunctional (e.g. click something that should open the feature and it doesn't do anything), prioritize where to put development resources, and similar stuff. It is so far removed from what you repeatedly allege that it would be laughable if not for the seriousness of the legal implications for doing so.

In other words - fine, don't trust us, trust the fact that such impropriety would result in juicy governmental fines, FCC compliance orders, and similar (expensive to us) things.

Back