Microsoft Surface with full 8.1 possible?

bpmcleod

Limp Gawd
Ok so my question is pretty simple. I am looking to get a Microsoft Surface RT and put the full version of windows on it. I woukd imagine it would install a lot like a normal pc as in just put my thumb drive with my win 8.1 install into the port and boot from it. As i dont have any experience with tableta or 2 in 1s I am curious if it is really that simple? I am just looking to save a little and get the cheaper RT version as I already have a full copy of 8.1 I can put on it.

Yep there's a reason the RT is cheaper. As said above, full Windows 8 just doesn't work on ARM processors (which is what the Tegra 4's architecture is, which is what's inside the RT).

There are a number of Bay Trail devices that have full Windows that can range in from as little at $120 for 7" devices to several hundreds for up to about 12". You need to decide that you want the tablet for, size expectations and budget.

There are a number of Bay Trail devices that have full Windows that can range in from as little at $120 for 7" devices to several hundreds for up to about 12". You need to decide that you want the tablet for, size expectations and budget.

Agreed! A lot of the forum members have had good luck with the Dell Venue 8 Pro (myself included), which comes in 32gb/64gb and can be had at very competitive prices. Very nice little machine!

Appreciate the advice. Im leaning towards an asus transforner t100 as I really would prefer a 2 in 1. Thanks again for the info.

You should be happy with the T100, it might be the most popular 2 in 1 on the market currently due to the bang you get for the buck. I've been very happy with the Asus VivoTab Note 8. Very similar to the Dell Venue 8 Pro, I have one of those as well. But the Wacom digitizer in the VivoTab pen is why I like it it over the V8P. The VivoTab is a great note taking and general handwriting and inking device. Much better than the V8P with its Synaptics pen digitizer.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back