Microsoft Starts Compiling First Windows 10 “Redstone 3” Builds

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I guess that Windows update roadmap was legit. Microsoft has begun work on their next big update, so Fall seems like a perfectly reasonable time for Redstone 3 to be released. As hinted earlier, the update will probably include at least some level of graphical revamp to the Windows 10 user interface (NEON), along with the whole modular thing that Composable Shell will bring. We should learn more during the Build 2017 event, but it could very well be eclipsed by a surprise hardware announcement.

Microsoft is yet to officially talk about the Redstone 3 update, but the software giant confirmed that it’s working on a second update for Windows 10 in 2017 earlier this week. Windows 10 Redstone 3 is going to introduce quite a lot of things to Windows 10—firstly, I have been hearing for a while that Microsoft is planning to introduce Windows 10’s improved design (codenamed “Project NEON”) with Redstone 3. In addition to NEON, Microsoft will also likely introduce the new Composable Shell and other features with the Redstone 3 release. We’ll definitely know more about what Microsoft plans to do with Redstone 3 at Build 2017 in May, where the company is expected to show off Project NEON along with some of the other features coming to Windows 10 with Redstone 3.

Won't use that on a primary PC but gonna test it on other guinea pig PCs I have laying around...

I am liking the continued updates to Windows 10. Though if this truly the last version of Windows, they should have just called it "Windows" and dropped the numbers.

^^ Won't dispute it, but will withhold judgement. Windows 10 window focus control absolutely sucks though. Was much better in 7. Tried to Skype, share desktop, kept dropping off when requiring admin credentials. Also noticed that opening a picture to view, double click, with two monitor setup, causes some kind of weird half-second freeze. Moves along afterwards, but symptomatic of a less than perfect window manager.

Nothing better than an ever rolling and changing operating system. Microsofts new motto "keep em guessing"

So we're going to have to re-learn the Windows 10 interface all over again.

Goodie, a reason to live...

Goodie, a reason to live...
e5dbbcc3a319e75bab27646c5c2533ed.jpg

Thats a negative! One thing youv'e assumed is that..... change = better.

The good ol' MS slight of words! Its going to be "new" and "changed" but what htey don't tell you is that their definition of those terms is now....

"different but with less functionality" and
"more difficult to do many of the mundane tasks so you'll be driven insane in every day tasks. But hey, doing some random VR/3D buzzwhizzthing once and never again will make the experience breathtaking". ;)

Which reminds me, I bought this little notebook and it came with Win10. I had to spend the next day getting it updated to the latest build of Win10. I was left with just 2GB on the 32GB SSD it has. What if this update is even bigger? And you don't get a choice to update or not, it is mandatory.

Fuck it, I may as well switch it over to Linux now because I don't want to have to go through that hassle again.

i need to find a way to get my windows 10 finishing the update on my laptop. My laptop reads that I have windows 10 home edition installed, but the installation is not complete, it will needs to reboot and finish the update but always gets stuck at 32%. Most likely incompatible drivers or windows not able to find drivers that supports my SONY Flip 15 laptop. So any suggestion? no need to disable drivers, the computer still needs to restart and apply the update before it loads windows again, so perhaps disabling something in the bios?

i need to find a way to get my windows 10 finishing the update on my laptop. My laptop reads that I have windows 10 home edition installed, but the installation is not complete, it will needs to reboot and finish the update but always gets stuck at 32%. Most likely incompatible drivers or windows not able to find drivers that supports my SONY Flip 15 laptop. So any suggestion? no need to disable drivers, the computer still needs to restart and apply the update before it loads windows again, so perhaps disabling something in the bios?

Try this in a command window:

Code:
taskkill /im TiWorker.exe /f
net stop wuauserv /y
rmdir "%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" /s /q
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat"
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat"
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

I'm not certain how I feel about MS pushing every changing windows out like this... but then again I didn't pay for 10 (I paid for 7) so I guess I don't own the OS, they do. Oh wait, I answered my own question. We are all just leasing/borrowing our OS from MS.

SIGH. Just wish there was some option other than Linux or Mac.... one is for hackers and the other is for grandma.

edit - oh I forgot about Haiku (open source BeOS).

I'm not certain how I feel about MS pushing every changing windows out like this... but then again I didn't pay for 10 (I paid for 7) so I guess I don't own the OS, they do. Oh wait, I answered my own question. We are all just leasing/borrowing our OS from MS.

SIGH. Just wish there was some option other than Linux or Mac.... one is for hackers and the other is for grandma.

edit - oh I forgot about Haiku (open source BeOS).
That's a bullshit excuse that has been debunked a million times over. Not everyone got their Windows 10 by the free upgrade upgrade from 7. You can buy it right now as a fully paid OS, it costs roughly the same as previous versions did, and you get the same treatment as "free" upgraders. If you can call trading away your privacy and peace of mind free. Let's just call it free of monetary costs.

Nothing better than an ever rolling and changing operating system. Microsofts new motto "keep em guessing"

For mature software, multi-year waterfall development cycles are a thing of the past. Smaller, constant, continuous delivery of software has become the industry norm at all levels of software development. A lot of the complaints about Windows 10 are really more about modern, popular practices in software development. A stable branch or branches that receive only security changes and current branch that gets changes as soon as possible. Very, very common practice. I do get that a lot of non-enterprise types would like access to the LTSBs and the enterprise features.

And that's why I think there's sort of disconnect between folks in a place like this and true enterprise. We're going forward with Windows 10 and none of the complaints about telemetry or updates are of any concern because true enterprise environments manage all of this stuff. And we take additional. We use MacAfee products to lock stuff down skin tight, no writing to external devices. NO ONE gets direct local admin rights, period. And so on.

We have pilot images that are 10 compatible with all desktops and laptops we've been using for about a year, apps have to be 10 certified and ready to go by summer or have some remediation plan to fix by EOY.

For mature software, multi-year waterfall development cycles are a thing of the past. Smaller, constant, continuous delivery of software has become the industry norm at all levels of software development. A lot of the complaints about Windows 10 are really more about modern, popular practices in software development. A stable branch or branches that receive only security changes and current branch that gets changes as soon as possible. Very, very common practice. I do get that a lot of non-enterprise types would like access to the LTSBs and the enterprise features.

To the end user and customer, it is irrelevant that Microsoft believes it has jumped the bandwagon of "popular practice in software development". If the product doesn't offer an improvement, it's totally irrelevant. And based on WIndows 10's track record of botched updates, broken drivers and reset settings, "agile" seems more like its being used as an excuse for what amounts to poor coding and nonexsitent quality control. "Release it broken because hey, we're AGILE, who cares. Patch it later, because AGILE, who cares. Fire the QA department because AGILE, who cares."

Just because "agile" is a popular buzzword now and works for some companies that are actually capable of performing agile development, doesn't mean it works for a bureaucratic dinosaur like MS -- look no further than Windows 10 for proof of that.

Reactions: HoffY
like this
To the end user and customer, it is irrelevant that Microsoft believes it has jumped the bandwagon of "popular practice in software development". If the product doesn't offer an improvement, it's totally irrelevant. And based on WIndows 10's track record of botched updates, broken drivers and reset settings, "agile" seems more like its being used as an excuse for what amounts to poor coding and nonexsitent quality control. "Release it broken because hey, we're AGILE, who cares. Patch it later, because AGILE, who cares. Fire the QA department because AGILE, who cares."

Just because "agile" is a popular buzzword now and works for some companies that are actually capable of performing agile development, doesn't mean it works for a bureaucratic dinosaur like MS -- look no further than Windows 10 for proof of that.

I never said that Microsoft's implementation of continuous delivery was perfect, I'm simply saying that no one does three year development cycles on mature products anymore. Three year big bang development releases on mature products, that's just done in this day and age.

Which reminds me, I bought this little notebook and it came with Win10. I had to spend the next day getting it updated to the latest build of Win10. I was left with just 2GB on the 32GB SSD it has. What if this update is even bigger? And you don't get a choice to update or not, it is mandatory.

Fuck it, I may as well switch it over to Linux now because I don't want to have to go through that hassle again.
Disk cleanup and remove superseded files?

Aside: why does a notebook sold in 2017 have only 32gb in SSD capacity?

Yes, diskcleanup cleared the space free but I am saying the next "madatory" update may be even bigger and not be able to install. Anyway, I refuse to subscribe to this new Microsoft marketing model and having them screw with my PC every six months.

It only has 32GB SSD because it is a streaming device. It has memory card slot for expandability though.

Trying to get it as cheap as possible. $50 windows tablet exist because of this. And yes they are just as crappy as $50 android tablets are.

Try this in a command window:

Code:
taskkill /im TiWorker.exe /f
net stop wuauserv /y
rmdir "%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" /s /q
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat"
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat"
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Thanks a million, that did the trick.
but when I run the windows update tool, my windows still gets stuck at 32% after reboot. Issue still there. Ugh.

Last edited:
Back