Microsoft Sphere Display Demo

HardOCP News

[H] News
A demo of Microsoft’s Sphere Display was caught on video. It looks pretty interesting but I like the tabletop Surface computers better. What do you guys think of this sphere display thing?

It's pretty cool. I can see it being used in museums and institutions like that.

Oh the possibilities. My sister is a teacher and 2 years ago I bought her an interactive globe for her classroom. Use your imagination. Make that a globe and touch on an area and you'll be shown an interactive demonstration or description of that particular area, and so on..

Weather reports.. Air stream.. Ocean current.. Boat GPS..

The Surface is great for everyday use for you and me, but the Sphere has awesome implications for specialized use.

I don't like collaborative computing tasks at all. I want to control what I want to control. This thing definitely has uses, just not for me.

It's a step towards getting rid of 'surfaces' altogether... minority report anyone?

That's where type of thing is headed. If the cost is right, and if it could be made into other shapes, cubes, or even configurable, where you could take the panels apart from a cube and have six panels, there's a lot of intresting things that could be done for sure.

If they could enlarge it and make it work while you sit inside, it could be the ultimate in immersive gaming. Just add a pair of 3D LCD shutter glasses to get the full effects. They can add speakers all around as well for fully 3d audio and graphics.

-Raystonn

The social privacy provided by moving things to "your" side of the surface is definitely a new twist for collaborative computing. UI designers will have to figure out uses for that. I know in sales or trade-show situations it would be handy to select the material you want to show on the customer-facing side to best illustrate a point during a product demonstration. However, for general collaboration, I think most of the time it is easier if everybody has the same view.

Kudos to M$FT for continuing to innovate.

Both this and the table top version have their own uses. The table one seems to be more of a 1-2 person use device, this one at least 4 at the same time.

This one is much more "public" oriented. As the uses he (tuck your shirt in ya bum), mentioned in the video, I was immediately thinking of things like information kiosks and the like. :)

The only things that I have reservations about is that the general public is dirty/greasy. These things will be covered in kfc grease in no time flat and would make them disgusting to use.

MS is not the first to do this. There is a company out here on the east coast that makes globes and they have one that is 6ft across and is a touchscreen. I know because I priced it for a exhibit we did a bid on and it came out to be just over $36,000

The only things that I have reservations about is that the general public is dirty/greasy. These things will be covered in kfc grease in no time flat and would make them disgusting to use.

Nasty! :D

Damn, I was expecting the sphere to be Around you, not in front of you. Like some people said though, it could be great for more educational places like museums and other places young students might go to on field trips.

what I liked below that was it said click here to see microsofts NEWEST 21 LAWSUITS and went on and on about piracy and how it hurts me

Back