Microsoft SideWinder X8 Mouse (w/ BlueTrack) Revealed

That's some fugly design work there. The mice look like shoes. Between them and the (I guess new) keyboard, it looks like someone took their design cues from a Delorean. This probably would have been hot back in 1999.

I do like the far end model, with what I assume is faux wood trim. My mouse is my Cadillac. Now we're gonna roll.

does this magnetic cord act as a USB connector to act as a wired mouse as well..???

does this magnetic cord act as a USB connector to act as a wired mouse as well..???

I am sure its a charge while you use type of cable. I would bet it still uses wireless for signal. Kinda like the play and charge cable for the Xbox 360.

I like the looks of it, so I will be looking for any reviews of it before I buy it however.

That's some fugly design work there. The mice look like shoes. Between them and the (I guess new) keyboard, it looks like someone took their design cues from a Delorean. This probably would have been hot back in 1999.

I do like the far end model, with what I assume is faux wood trim. My mouse is my Cadillac. Now we're gonna roll.

Comfortable and ugly or painful and pretty? :)

Comfortable and ugly or painful and pretty? :)

I say it's painful and pretty. I tried the first Sidewinder and I couldn't get used to it, mainly due to those side buttons I think. I like this new one better than the first one as far as looks are concerned, but I couldn't not give up my Logi G9 at this point.

Who started those future-looking designs in the first place? At first I thought it was the G9 but that mouse looks much more soothing than these.

I bought the sidewinder a couple months ago and while I liked it, I had to return it since the vertical buttons are just annoying.
The mouse is just big and I have big hands but I had to hold the mouse firm to have my thumb able to reach the buttons. If I get lazy and I relax my grip, then I would not be able to reach the buttons unless I grab it firm again in the palm of my hand.

Looks nice but too bad about the vertical buttons, I just hope others don;t follow the vertical button design.

Bump bump bump.

Was gonna start a new thread, but why bother. Wanted to know if anyone has heard anything new about this mouse? I can't find anything about a solid release on Google. I have one pre-ordered, but don't have a delivery estimate. My current G7 is pretty much dead, and I am REALLY in need of a new mouse. I have been holding out for the X8, but it's getting hard to wait.

On the other hand.... why can't Logitech put all their features into one mouse?!?! There is the G7, which has ONE thumb button (FAIL). The MX Revolution, which lacks DPI switching (FAIL). The G9, which has both of those features, but lacks a wireless alternative (FAIL!)

I just bought 2 Sidewinder X6 Keyboards and would like to get one of these x8 mouse if they are actually a good gamer mouse.. if anyone gets one, let us know how it works in a shooter environment.

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

On the other hand.... why can't Logitech put all their features into one mouse?!?! There is the G7, which has ONE thumb button (FAIL). The MX Revolution, which lacks DPI switching (FAIL). The G9, which has both of those features, but lacks a wireless alternative (FAIL!)

I am currently really enjoying my wireless logitech mx1100 with 3 thumb buttons and dpi switching.

OT: I have been eagerly awaiting the X8 since last year. I've been checking Amazon daily to see if I can get one.

I am currently really enjoying my wireless logitech mx1100 with 3 thumb buttons and dpi switching.

OT: I have been eagerly awaiting the X8 since last year. I've been checking Amazon daily to see if I can get one.

Is it adjustable on the fly? I would really like that feature....

I really like the way the thmub buttons are done for this mouse, definitely need to try it out before I buy though as the previous sidewinder was a bit too large. The Razer Deathadder im using now is perfect, so hopefully this mouse is similar in the size department.

Tried the similar MS mouse at Best Buy the other day.

1. Way too small for anything beyond medium sized hands
2. Odd thumb button placement
3. Terrible ergonomics. Picking up a MX series after this mouse made me weep tears of joy!

razr copperhead is what i use at my work pc. No gaming @ all but i do love the high dpi and button placement on the sides. the attachable magnetic cord seems like a cool way to charge the mouse.

I really like the way the thmub buttons are done for this mouse, definitely need to try it out before I buy though as the previous sidewinder was a bit too large.

Tried the similar MS mouse at Best Buy the other day.

1. Way too small for anything beyond medium sized hands

Those don't conflict at all :D

I hope it comes out next week! I may end up going wired if not!

Update:

Mine shipped! From Buy.com!

Buy.com is sold out, and Amazon.com is not showing shipping, but mine is on the way wooooooooot!

Well that an my current mice are dead. I have an old Logitech mouse that tracks poorly at time. I also have a 3 year-old G7 that has problems with click recognition... it double clicks everything and drag and drop is impossible. I'm currently switching between both mice, depending on what I'm doing.... I'll be glad to finally have one working mouse now.

Looks like a nice mouse :O
I'm guessing it's better than a Logitech MX518? Because that's what I've been using for years and I don't think there is another mouse that could possibly be better! :)

I really like that mouse. I have a g9 now and I like it however it is a tad small for me. This sidewinder is alot longer and that is something I wish from the g9, I have tried both addons and they seem almost the same shape but one has a rough texture and the other a smoother rubber like feel to it. I also dont like there choice of cord as it is stiff as hell.
I will look closer at the sidewinder when it is available.

Back