Microsoft Security Essentials vs Avira?

Both consistently rank at or near the top of independent AV reviewers. Avira seems to allow a bit more false positives to achieve a bit better detection, while MSE is a bit more conservative to avoid false positives. When I last used it, the free version of Avira put up nag windows to buy the paid version (does it still do that?); MSE does not. I can't comment on which one is lighter on the system but they probably both have minimal impact.

Either one is a good choice.

Both are light on adequate systems, if you have a very old system with low RAM AntiVir will run a little lighter.

MSE...simple interface, very easy to follow interface when it catches something, so I use it for all my "freebie" home jobs, even the most newbie of home users can figure it out. It's so automated. It's reliable and runs quietly in the background with no nags.

AntiVir may have slightly better detection rates, BUT it's also higher in F/Ps, the update function frequently gets wonky resulting in falling behind, it's naggy to upgrade to the pro version (and the work arounds get wiped out during the next program update..and I don't want to return to dozens of freebie end users jobs I did just to go fix that upon each update)

A much improved MSE will be out shortly...it got quite an overhaul, added features, and should do even better in detection and removal.

I think late Oct was what I saw. Current MSE users will pull it down via the updater I'm sure.

Yeah but nobody answers posts in the General Software section. :p AntiVir if you want higher detection or MSE if you want quiet and trouble free.

This is really like Firefox vs Chrome. They're both great choices, just use whichever works better for you.

I use MSE simply because it can be updated from Windows Update. That, and (to me at least) it's less obtrusive, which isn't saying much because Avira isn't very obtrusive in the first place. Best thing to do is to try each out for a few days and basically pick whichever you prefer more. They're both fantastic.

I use MSE simply because it can be updated from Windows Update.

To clarify this point to others: MSE can be updated from Windows Update, and it can also update itself independently of Windows Update should that be necessary.

Back