Microsoft says multi GPU is unstable...

Atech

2[H]4U
Linky:
http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/605145/hybrid-sli-and-crossfire-unstable-says-microsoft.html

In Microsoft’s Guidelines for Graphics in Windows 7 document, which was released yesterday, Microsoft outlined its feelings about hybrid graphics, stating that ‘Windows 7 does not offer native support for hybrid graphics systems.’ Not only that, but Microsoft added the reason for the decision saying that hybrid graphics systems ‘can be unstable and provide a poor user experience,’ and that it would ‘strongly discourage system manufacturers from shipping such systems.’ Microsoft also added that ‘such systems require a reboot to switch between GPUs.’

This could might really add chances for multi-GPU bus in the future.

They claim that hybrid video is unstable, not necessarily multiple video cards. They don't want to support onboard video being combined with a video card. It doesn't mean you can't have Crossfire or SLI.

Man I wish Mac was a strong gaming platform..MS is really putting the screws to PC gaming..

Yeah, we really need to clarify this is NOT multi-GPU they're talking about, its hybrid.

None the less, its a shame M$ feel that way. I was hoping a nice hybrid system with a powerful GPU would let me run games at high settings, then when working swap to the onboard, reducing the power consumed and noise generated by my PC.

Yeah, we really need to clarify this is NOT multi-GPU they're talking about, its hybrid.

None the less, its a shame M$ feel that way. I was hoping a nice hybrid system with a powerful GPU would let me run games at high settings, then when working swap to the onboard, reducing the power consumed and noise generated by my PC.

I like the idea, but IIRC you can't save power by 'switching' between adapters, because they are both running.

I never did like the Idea of Hybrid the extra cost for that technology could go to a better video card.

But this will probably throw the MS haters into a frenzy of Window 7 = NO GAMING.

^^ exactly cause they cant be bothered to read and understand what is really meant, so ya, lets move to OSX :rolleyes: the same hardware for more money! and less video cards to upgrade to!

Hybrid graphics doesn't affect most gamers. This just means videocard companies (ATI, I'm talking to you) will have to spend more time and money making their cards are energy efficient. There's no reason why even a 4870X2 should have to use much more power than e.g. a 4630 when it's just displaying the Aero desktop. Just design the cards so that all the fancy stuff is shut off when it's not needed.

Hybrid graphics doesn't affect most gamers. This just means videocard companies (ATI, I'm talking to you) will have to spend more time and money making their cards are energy efficient. There's no reason why even a 4870X2 should have to use much more power than e.g. a 4630 when it's just displaying the Aero desktop. Just design the cards so that all the fancy stuff is shut off when it's not needed.

Easier said than done I'm afraid; such a "smart" GPU would need a lot of correspondence between the maker and Microsoft and really, when was the last time Microsoft really cared?

I'm hoping with Windows 7 they'll take a more user-experience approach (as most of us have been led to believe), but I've been on Windows since Windows 95, and I can't say I've had even a remotely good experience.

Man I wish Mac was a strong gaming platform..MS is really putting the screws to PC gaming..

And then you'd have to deal with with Apple screwing up gaming much more than you could ever imagine. Jobs thinks that gaming is pointless.

Ehm, have you guys completely missed the point here?

First of all, this does not affect Multi-GPU solutions like Crossfire, CrossfireX, SLi and Tri-SLi!
Second, none of today's Microsoft operative system's got support for native hybrid graphic solutions!

This just means that AMD / ATI and nVIDIA still have to make the support of hybrid graphics part of their drivers, as they do today? No big deal..

I don't understand the big deal or the surprise. Hybrid GPU's weren't all that beneficial to begin with and quite frankly, MS is right, it IS an unstable platform. ATI/AMD is lucky to get a decent set of drivers for single GPU and Crossfire utilizing the same GPU, much less different ones.

And who cares if SLI doesn't work in Windows 7 "as of right now" the OS is still in development, we don't even have a release candidate or even a beta for that matter. I'm sure there are several things that don't work in Windows 7 as of right now

I've been on Windows since Windows 95, and I can't say I've had even a remotely good experience.
Yet you still are on windows so you prefer it over another vendor for whatever reason you have. Even if it is because "most games only run on windows," that seems to be reason enough to justify you sticking to windows.

same old same old.

*They* said Vista sucked for gaming as well.

I haven't had any problems with 64-bit home premium.

Easier said than done I'm afraid; such a "smart" GPU would need a lot of correspondence between the maker and Microsoft and really, when was the last time Microsoft really cared?.

Not saying it would be easy, just saying it would be a good thing :)

IMO, the current generation of videocards, the 4870X2 and GTX280, are the "Prescotts" of the GPU world. They run extremely hot (so hot that people complain about their computers heating up their room), use nearly 300W of power and require exotic cooling setups. They have hit the power draw/heat output wall. The next generation of videocards simply can not have a higher TDP than the current gen. That would mean tripple-slot coolers and 800W PSUs for everyone (or cards shipping with an external power brick).

Intel's response after the Netbust failure was to build "smarter" CPUs and look where it took them. It not only made the CPUs run cooler and use less power, it also allowed them to increase performance significantly while keeping heat output under control.

They'll have to make the next generation cards use less power both under load and when idle and Microsoft will have to implement some support for GPU power saving in Windows - Current power saving settings includes entries for harddrives, display, CPU, USB, RAM (in BIOS), PCI-E link... an entry for Videocard or GPU also belongs there. Maybe include a second, very simple GPU die to run aero stuff and shut off the "main" GPU entirely... Or make it possible to shut off stream processors, ROPs etc. that are not in use (rather than just lowering the GPU clock in 2D mode).

Yeah but as of right now, SLI does not work in Windows 7.

Were did you get this? Doesn't Windows 7 use the same driver model as Vista? That being the case, SLI support for Windows 7 should pretty much already be in today's drivers.

So how many other OS'es support hybrid power and how well does it work at what are the positions of other OS developers on the issue?

I love how people bash Microsoft with absolutely no context. "Did you hear, Windows 7 doesn't cure male erectile dysfunction! Wow, Windows sucks, my next OS is going to be Ubuntu Jumbo Johnson!"

Back