Microsoft says Crysis will be Vista's Halo

Im guessing a high end dual core part (core 2 duo or quad core) and 2Gb of RAM is essential for gaming on vista and keeping frame rates high, a mediocre CPU is not going to be enough right now due to games still requiring a lot of CPU cycles.

Naturally as the hardware gets faster and the games require more the % difference between the OS's will shrink below the % difference between the API's and we'll see the benefits. Bare in mind that this might not be as fast as you expect, like with previous OS's we can expect the slew of MS patches and service packs to slow the OS down over time.

yes, with Aero on "pause" in the bakground games are going to take a 10 to 15% performance hit over reg XP, I reckon.. What I am most curious to see is if the IQ on the DX10 version of Crysis will have enough more "wow effect" then the DX9 version factor thus making the transition to Vista worth while as a gaming ethusiast. I have a feeling the DX10 version will be pretty spectacular and many many peeps will make the leap to it just for the IQ improvements.. but that's just a guess. Dual boot goodness WTF. ;)

Marketing.

Normally, PC's are used mostly for more practical reasons and do not consider games as killer apps.

I hope you're joking. 3D gaming drives the advent and improvement in PCs. If PCs were solely used for my mother and her friends to email each other, we'd be using Pentium II and 32MB on-board graphics.

We should hope that Crysis or others like it continue to push PCs to their limit, or we'll all be using a console to game in the very near future.

I hope you're joking. 3D gaming drives the advent and improvement in PCs. If PCs were solely used for my mother and her friends to email each other, we'd be using Pentium II and 32MB on-board graphics.

We should hope that Crysis or others like it continue to push PCs to their limit, or we'll all be using a console to game in the very near future.

Because nobody uses computers for graphic arts, design, architecture, editing movies, and hundreds of other applications that require advances in 3d technology, horsepower, speed, and space.

Tell that to NASA, or the military, who were constantly revising and researching and upgrading decades before gaming even existed.

I love gaming as much as anyone, but lets not get nuts....3d gaming has driven some nice innovation, but without it, we'd still be constantly searching for newer, faster computers that hold more data.

the difference between crysis dx9 and crysis dx10 will be roughly like tomb raider legend WITH next generation effects turned on versus tomb raider legend WITH-OUT next generation effects turned on. there will absolutely be a higher level of graphical fidelity.

Magoo, I think Sly is correct. The large majority of people with PCs use it for e-mail, internet and other programs - not high-end 3D gaming. Most of their PCs are also bought as such with little graphical capability let alone an 8800 or 1900. 3D gaming provides some push for the overall PC market but I would never consider a game as a "killer app" for a new O/S. The article quoted in the OP is simply pointing out that Crysis will be the biggest, baddest game for the PC and as such will be similar to a big game for a console. The OP kind of stretched things a bit by saying Crysis will be THE killer-app for Vista. Most all of us here at the [H]ardForum are techies and gamers but let's not kid ourselves - we're a small group compared to the rest of the PC world.

im suprized the PC SP genere is still so popular,after onlineplay become popular i cant see my self sitting alone playing vs computers,but these games still do so well while thier MP support sucks donkey balls.

Using a dx9 videocard, do you get any performance benefit with vista ?

but these games still do so well while thier MP support sucks donkey balls.

Yeah FC MP was pathetic. I don't expect Crysis to be much better but they are some of my favorite SP FPS games.
Awesome graphics, non-linear level design, HARD and LONG. :D

Using a dx9 videocard, do you get any performance benefit with vista ?

Yeah FC MP was pathetic. I don't expect Crysis to be much better but they are some of my favorite SP FPS games.
Awesome graphics, non-linear level design, HARD and LONG. :D
i think since MS is so evil using DX9 on vista will probably degrade game performance. im with you on that single player part too, if i want MP there will be Quake Wars AND UTK07 heheheh

He he

Seriously, Crysis may provide just another reason to upgrade to Vista, but I don't think it will be the reason.
i dont think there is anything that will make the masses really want vista...oh noes i want 3d scrolling windowz! meh...plus, games aren't going to be selling vista either, it will be the eventuality that when all games go DX10 only then will the gamers actually want to switch. IMO it just sounds like a pain in the ass to switch to a different OS, something WILL go wrong

i dont think there is anything that will make the masses really want vista...oh noes i want 3d scrolling windowz! meh...plus, games aren't going to be selling vista either, it will be the eventuality that when all games go DX10 only then will the gamers actually want to switch. IMO it just sounds like a pain in the ass to switch to a different OS, something WILL go wrong

i figure i might as well get vista when it comes out so I can learn how it works, which services do what, how to tweak it to run optimally, etc. so that when the dx10 games start coming, ill be ready.

it won't be a pain in the ass. just tame that bitch!

Most all of us here at the [H]ardForum are techies and gamers but let's not kid ourselves - we're a small group compared to the rest of the PC world.
And damnit, we're gonna build an island soon! :D

Seriously...I REALLY would like to see some sort of tech demo showcasing DX10 upon Vista's release. Isn't M$ pushing "Games for Windows" or something like that?

I guess i might have missed something. Who are the target consumers for Vista?

I really can't think of what Crysis would be able to show off that would convince businessmen to put vista on their office machines. Can anybody clue me in?

the difference between crysis dx9 and crysis dx10 will be roughly like tomb raider legend WITH next generation effects turned on versus tomb raider legend WITH-OUT next generation effects turned on. there will absolutely be a higher level of graphical fidelity.

I find that hard to believe unless they're limiting features to DX10 only when they don't have too.

We've seen things like motion blur, depth of field, HDR, and all the usual SM3.0 effects used in games now, or to be used in games soon, we know the next revision of the source engine supports motion blur quite nicely (from the vids) and R6V did it well with HDR etc.

There will be some effects that require DX10 no doubt, but enough to make the WOW factor that much greater, I just cannot accept that. When DX9 came out most of the initial titles used barely any SM2.0 effects, even 3dmark05's initial DX9 benchmarks used something like 3-5% of their shaders routines as SM2.0 to reflect their expected useage in games.

Don't get me wrong, you might need the sheer horse power of a 8800 part to be able to max the settings, but to say the difference between purely DX9 and DX10 will be like the new Tomb Raider with the next gen effects on/off is overshooting the mark a little.

In fact of the effects shown off in the "next gen" videos I've seen, a great deal of them I have seen before in either a lot of games, and in some cases really old games.

- Real time night/day cycle (Operation flashpoint is the oldest that comes to mind)
- Interactive "environments" such as physics enable plants (Original hitman oldest that comes to mind)
- HDR (Farcry oldest that comes to mind)
- Realtime softshadows (F.E.A.R, or is that something different?)
- Depth of field (Call of Juarez did this quite well, we also know this is coming to the source engine at some stage)

What will require DX10? Probably the volumetric clouds which I cant see having a massive effect on graphical quality unless you're flying in/around them, from the ground I can't imagine it has a huge effect.

Sunrays + diffuse transmission, can anyone give info on this, im not sure.

For everyone wondering what DX10 brings to the table heres a few quotes from the article i linked at the bottom.

DX10 will use much faster dynamic link libraries (DLLs), and won't incorporate older versions of DirectX, as is done today. DirectX 9 will be supported side-by-side, through DirectX 9.L (basically, that's DX9 for the Vista driver model). So right there, without using any new features, DX10 should be more efficient and faster.

Perhaps one of the best features of DX10 is the removal of capability bits, or "cap bits." Today, graphics cards don't have to support everything in DirectX 9 to be a "DX9 graphics card." There are lots of optional features, and the drivers have to report to the OS exactly what it can and can't do with a set of cap bits. This has been a huge headache for developers, as different cards all support different features, or perform the same operations in different ways. In DX10, either you meet the spec or you don't—no more supporting only these or those texture formats, and this or that shader model but only with this level of precision.

Linked from this: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931918,00.asp

I also seem to recall a [H] article talking about how DX10 removes a lot of the overhead involved in the programming of games which expands the options of developers a lot. I think it was a [H] article anyway...

Back