Microsoft Rolls Out Windows 10 Build 10166

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another Windows 10 build is out today. If you are a Windows Insider, you'd better hurry and get this one before another version drops. ;)

To be clear, this build is not the build Microsoft plans to designate as RTM. It's close, but not that build. I'm not sure exactly when Microsoft will hit the RTM milestone. It should be soon; my sources have told me the plan remains some time in "mid-July." Some had been expecting Windows 10 to RTM today, July 9, but that's not happening, my contacts say.

I'll probably just stick with what I have since I run in a Hyper-V, and it takes HOURS to download and update.

I'm at the point where I can just wait for the final.

Anyone tested with Start8 yet?

I'll probably just stick with what I have since I run in a Hyper-V, and it takes HOURS to download and update.

Dunno, but now that StartIsBack is available for Windows 10 as a beta, it's time to dive in, since Tihiy was responsible for the definitive Windows 7 style start menu for Windows 8. Nothing else quite matched it.

Key is being able to nuke Cortana and some of the other data mining processes

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174021-startisback-beta1/

- Ability to reduce resource usage by disabling newer Start menu and Cortana processes from prelaunching
- Ability to use adequately sized (32x32) large icons and larger start menu button on taskbar
- Modern icon glyphs on Start menu right hand pane
- Modern blur, drop shadow and immersive context menus for start menu
- Fully dynamic DPI aware start menu and configuration app
- Lots of new minor additions and tweaks

I'm running this new build and I'm noticing improvements with the Edge browser. Once the ISO for this build is available I'm planning to install it on my gaming rig.

For the past 3 months or so every build I've tried has had a broken remote desktop. I can't seem to be able to remote desktop TO the win10. Curious if it's the setup I have (xenserver) or if it is just broken. I want to say it broke around build 9860.

You can just not add any apps to the start menu, and then resize it and pretty much works like the old start menu.

Well, I have been using the Windows 10 Preview since 10147 as my primary OS on my Surface Pro, Work and Home computer. (All upgraded over Windows 8.1) With 10166, a lot of the bugs have been all but eliminated and I am pleased with that. I also prefer the full screen start menu so I am using that on both my desktops. (I like to have all my programs easily accessible, front and center.)

I have been able to also VPN into work and remote into my work desktop which has, as I mentioned, Windows 10 Pro build 10166. What is the error you are getting zepcs?

Remote desktop just doesn't connect, I've tried all combinations of firewall settings, turning it off, etc. I've google'd it at few times and there seems to be quite a few people with the same issue. None of the fixes I've seen have helped since they are mostly just manually opening the firewall ports. I haven't tried at 10 > 10 remote desktop, only 8.1 pro to 10 pro.

You got slow internet?

I just updated in a VM and it took me an hour.

No point in these updated builds, very little is new in Win 10, I've been trying all the builds and for the last 6 months all that's changed is slight visual tweaks, no new features at all.

Remote desktop just doesn't connect, I've tried all combinations of firewall settings, turning it off, etc. I've google'd it at few times and there seems to be quite a few people with the same issue. None of the fixes I've seen have helped since they are mostly just manually opening the firewall ports. I haven't tried at 10 > 10 remote desktop, only 8.1 pro to 10 pro.
I've experienced zero issues with Remote Desktop and I utilize RD gateways on some of my connections. This has been the case on all of the slow and fast ring builds on my Surface Pro 2 and 3. Man, that sucks.

Is this remote connection on a local network or across an internet connection? Have you tried doing it both ways to see what would happen. When both machines are on the same network, are you able to ping the computer successfully?

If you can ping it, have you tried using the IP address to remotely connect with? Did you verify that the rdp service is running. Also, have you tried doing a computername:port number address? Since I do not know what you have tried yet, I am just asking whatever I can think of that might help.

For the past 3 months or so every build I've tried has had a broken remote desktop. I can't seem to be able to remote desktop TO the win10. Curious if it's the setup I have (xenserver) or if it is just broken. I want to say it broke around build 9860.

I had issues until I realized that you have to actually enter your user name with the domain\user format. Domain would be your computer name if you're not on an actual domain.

So someone actually has to mod Windows to make it more privacy aware?

The betas include feedback gathering to assist MS in knowing how W10 is being used and to help improve it. I think the hope is that in the RTM version it won't be there.

I'm currently on 10130, but the Desktop window manager service has a memory leak. Could anyone on the new build confirm this is resolved? How much memory is your dwm process using?

Is this remote connection on a local network or across an internet connection? Have you tried doing it both ways to see what would happen. When both machines are on the same network, are you able to ping the computer successfully?

If you can ping it, have you tried using the IP address to remotely connect with? Did you verify that the rdp service is running. Also, have you tried doing a computername:port number address? Since I do not know what you have tried yet, I am just asking whatever I can think of that might help.

It's local, the windows 10 is running in a xenserver pool. I have no problems connecting to win 8.1's that are in the pool. Also the xencenter rd console works fine. I can ping it no problem, etc.

I had issues until I realized that you have to actually enter your user name with the domain\user format. Domain would be your computer name if you're not on an actual domain.

It is on a domain, but I don't even get to the point where it asks for credentials. Normally when you connect it's like connecting, securing, then prompts. I get nothing on the win10.

If I install a build before 9860 then rd works as expected.

Fast ring updated in 30 minutes last night.

Meh.

Dunno, but now that StartIsBack is available for Windows 10 as a beta, it's time to dive in, since Tihiy was responsible for the definitive Windows 7 style start menu for Windows 8. Nothing else quite matched it.

Key is being able to nuke Cortana and some of the other data mining processes

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174021-startisback-beta1/

I initially used startisback, but after two fatal rounds of damage to Windows 8, I scrapped it.

I've been on Start8 since, zero issues, and I didn't care that it cost $5. It works perfectly :)

You aren't running PowerBroker (I call it PowerBorker LOL) are you?

I took 10 off of my laptop because every update they insisted on adding all the bullshit back to the start menu.

Fuck you, Microsoft. I don't want to use your bullshit live tiles.

I hope Microsoft will add an option that you can increase the list of the most used programs on their new Start Menu, previous OS's had this option but it seems to be absent on Windows 10. And pin or add a shortcut on the left hand side of the menu as well, an option that was available in previous OS's. Don't mind the Metro tiles though, at least it's not in full screen mode and the jump list is back which is important to me.

I'm still using 10, but I'm probably not going to keep it much beyond the RTM. So far, I really haven't found any really compelling reasons to keep it. The Windows Store is only "okay" at best and while the UI is usable, I don't like the live tiles thing either. They aren't a deal breaker or anything, but if I want to look at something on the web like MSN or Outlook, I'll just open a web browser and go there instead of trying to get information that's been crammed into a tiny little tile that opens an app that's nothing more than a one-place-on-the-web mini browser.

I also want to use Linux Mint on a laptop that's faster than a netbook so when I reformat the drive and install a new OS, it'll probably be Mint 17.2 that gets installed on it or MAYBE SteamOS if it doesn't do anything really stupid like make it impossible to use it the computer as a word processor.

I took 10 off of my laptop because every update they insisted on adding all the bullshit back to the start menu.

Fuck you, Microsoft. I don't want to use your bullshit live tiles.

It is a preview OS, the start menu does not carry over the customization's that were made at this time. (Unfortunately since I had it all setup in Windows 8.1 and I had to redo it, no biggie after I got over it a few minutes later.) However, just right click and unpin, no big deal since it is at most, a dozen or so things.

Good luck.

I hope Microsoft will add an option that you can increase the list of the most used programs on their new Start Menu, previous OS's had this option but it seems to be absent on Windows 10. And pin or add a shortcut on the left hand side of the menu as well, an option that was available in previous OS's. Don't mind the Metro tiles though, at least it's not in full screen mode and the jump list is back which is important to me.

Have you added this into their feedback app? I know I would like the ability to have the full screen start menu open by default on startup on a desktop. I did add that into the feedback app but, although it is not there now, I am hoping they will add that option in the future. If not, someone may add a tweak or a program that gives us that option, we will see.

I find it mildly amusing how beholden some people are to the ancient start menu. I was sick of that janky shit a decade ago.

I find it mildly amusing how beholden some people are to the ancient start menu. I was sick of that janky shit a decade ago.

I do not mind that a new version of the start menu is back, it will make a lot of people happy. With that change alone, Windows 10 has the potential to be a big seller and will be good for the OEM's, at least for home use. Windows 7 will be around in businesses for a while longer which should have obvious reasons why for those around here.

Oh, and 10166 seems to have fixed a bunch of bugs I was experiencing in 10162 and below. That and the start menu customization's I created for my system have remained intact.

So I'm on 10162, set to the fast ring, but cannot seem to get the update? I do keep getting windows defender updates... anyone have any advice?

Its really more a testament to Microsoft not having improved it since Windows 7. They tried to bolt a marketing campaign onto it with the ugly blinking tiles but that does nothing for usability for people that just need it to get stuff done. So people are installing start menu replacements to avoid the functionally regressed, bastardized start menu that tries to harass people into using the crappy phone apps and visit the crappy Metro store.

Its really more a testament to Microsoft not having improved it since Windows 7. They tried to bolt a marketing campaign onto it with the ugly blinking tiles but that does nothing for usability for people that just need it to get stuff done. So people are installing start menu replacements to avoid the functionally regressed, bastardized start menu that tries to harass people into using the crappy phone apps and visit the crappy Metro store.

Read you loud and clear, papaw. Start screen has worked fine for me from the beginning. I really don't get all the teeth gnashing. Whatever.

I won't download it again even for Free

I will download again right up until the RTM is downloaded even if it were not free. :) DPI, thankfully, folks with the attitude you are having are few and far between when it comes to Windows 10.

Back