Microsoft Removes Warning about Installing Chrome, Firefox

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Following criticism regarding the company’s “experiment” in encouraging Windows 10 users to install Edge instead of Chrome, Firefox, and other competing browsers with a glaring popup, CNET reports Microsoft may have already given up on the idea: the feature may no longer be found in Insider Preview Build 17760, the latest “fast-ring” version of the OS. The author notes Edge’s usage share has dropped compared to a year ago.

Earlier this week, an earlier test version of Windows would warn people who tried to install the Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Vivaldi web browsers, "You already have Microsoft Edge -- the safer, faster browser for Windows 10." The dialog box presented two options: "Open Microsoft Edge" -- the default -- and "Install anyway." The feature raised some hackles and brought back memories of Microsoft's strong-arm tactics promoting its old Internet Explorer browser in the first browser wars two decades ago.

Yea.. That's always been annoying.
Yeah since I use Firefox and I like Firefox. It gets the job done. Besides, I like the bookmarking system of Firefox better, it allows for native use of tags which Google Chrome doesn't.

Microsoft should just give up on trying to make their browser more popular with nagging strategy. Computer illiterates will keep on using whatever browser their computer comes with (could be the Edge of Win10) and the rest will use the browser that suits their needs. If you want more people from the latter group to use your browser then make a damn browser that has the features they need and want! And maybe add something competition does not have (not counting in telemetry spying).

Now can we get Google to do the same? They advertise that I should be using Google Chrome every time I use Google.com.

Personally, I wish Microsoft would have let Apple die in the 90's and squeeze Google out of Windows. Because they did not, we now have a closed and proprietary ecosystem known as iOS and Google, which helped kill Windows Mobile because they were actively killing it and not supporting it. (IE: Monopoly manipulation and power.) Oh well, guess being a monopoly means something only if it is Microsoft and nothing else. :rolleyes:

Personally, I wish Microsoft would have let Apple die in the 90's and squeeze Google out of Windows. Because they did not, we now have a closed and proprietary ecosystem known as iOS and Google, which helped kill Windows Mobile because they were actively killing it and not supporting it. (IE: Monopoly manipulation and power.) Oh well, guess being a monopoly means something only if it is Microsoft and nothing else. :rolleyes:

TLDR "let's break out the little violins for Netscape-slaying, embrace-extend-extinguish corporation for getting complacent and then getting run the fuck over by competitors they mocked and laughed off".

You guys are hilarious.

for their next trick they will hijack the process and then launch a reskined edge that looks like firefox or chrome.

but the only thing holding back microsoft, is microsft its self . they have the money and technical resources to have the best anything .

but their marketing and managerial obsessive need to control the user experience has kept them from dominating any market outside their big 3 server office and os.

TLDR "let's break out the little violins for Netscape-slaying, embrace-extend-extinguish corporation for getting complacent and then getting run the fuck over by competitors they mocked and laughed off".

You guys are hilarious.

*Shrug* Just a clear indication that you have no trouble with monopolies, just so long as it is not Microsoft. Your point of view kills me. :D LOL!

So many whiny kids on this forum. Boohoo Microsoft and other companies are trying to make me use their products.

Now can we get Google to do the same? They advertise that I should be using Google Chrome every time I use Google.com.
I have been using Firefox for about 15 years and Google as my search engine for longer than that. I have literally never seen this. Perhpas it is because I don't login to Google? I don't use Gmail so I almost never login to my Google account.

Funny how google gets a free pass on how it pushes Chrome. I wonder how many people out there actually think Chrome became the #1 browser because it is the "best" and not because google simply pushed it on people using the brute force of it's monopoly over the course of a decade?

So many whiny kids on this forum. Boohoo Microsoft and other companies are trying to make me use their products.

It's not about what they try to get us to use, aka the people smart enough to know a difference, it's what they can con random casual internet users into using until they have a market-share big enough to start unilaterally controlling the internet. Unfortunately while I don't agree with Microsft's tactics, I find myself almost rooting for them because we really need to knock down google's browser market share at this point by any means necessary.

Funny how google gets a free pass on how it pushes Chrome.
upload_2018-9-17_10-28-54.png

*Shrug* Just a clear indication that you have no trouble with monopolies, just so long as it is not Microsoft. Your point of view kills me. :D LOL!
I'm sure I said somewhere that monopolies are totally cool.

Don't cry for me Argentina that an arrogant megacorp that still has the desktop monopoly got a taste of their own medicine. They didn't even try to create a compelling and successful browser. Otherwise they wouldnt have made it as a shitty UWP/mobile app with all of those inherent limitations, and they wouldn't have alienated the hundreds of millions of Win7 and 8.1 users that Chrome and Firefox do not. Nevermind the borked plugin system that requires going into the awful store to find anything. And nevermind the damn thing still freezes too often when doing something as simple as opening a new tab.

These are academic arguments now, like MS fanboys insisting Windows Mobile was still alive even when it was beyond obvious to everyone else that it was already dead and abandoned at MS. Nadella has already pivoted internally to Azure-Azure-Azure, more than a year ago. The updates to Windows, Edge and all their software are now superficial while the teams working on them are slowly gutted. When Nadella threw out Myerson you knew it was over. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back