Microsoft releasing new windows SKU's based on user hardware

kinjo

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure where to post this could have swore there was a news section we could post in at one point?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/five-more-editions-are-coming-to-windows-10.html

Basically MS intends to realse 5 new versions of windws 10 that are tied to the hardware in the users machine

• Entry: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 32 GB SSD AND ≤ 14.1" screen size (NB), ≤ 11.6" (2in1, Tablet), ≥ 17" AiO
  • Value: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 64GB SSD & ≤ 14.1" screen size (EM ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 64GB SSD or ≤ 500 GB HDD)
  • Core: Cannot be used on devices that meet the Core+ and Advanced SKU Hardware Specifications
  • Core +: High end CPU and >4 GB RAM (All Form Factors) ≥8 GB RAM & ≥1080p screen resolution (NB, 2in1, AiO) >8 GB RAM & ≥2 TB HDD or SSD storage (Desktop)
  • Advanced: Intel Core i9 (any configuration) OR Core i7 ≥ 6 Cores (any RAM) OR AMD Threadripper(any configuration) OR Intel Core i7 >16 GB (any Cores) or AMD FX/ Ryzen7 >16 GB (any Cores) OR ≥ 4K screen resolution (any processor, includes 4K UHD-3840 resolution

Seems really odd to me but interesting for discussions sake will the hardware be required to run a given version or vice versa ?

if so could be a big deal otherwise... whats the point?​

So when I upgrade my system, I will need to buy a newer windows version. Neat.

Prevent those pesky people from keeping the same version for forever! hahahaha, silly Microsoft.

Not sure where to post this could have swore there was a news section we could post in at one point?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/five-more-editions-are-coming-to-windows-10.html

Basically MS intends to realse 5 new versions of windws 10 that are tied to the hardware in the users machine

• Entry: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 32 GB SSD AND ≤ 14.1" screen size (NB), ≤ 11.6" (2in1, Tablet), ≥ 17" AiO
  • Value: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 64GB SSD & ≤ 14.1" screen size (EM ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 64GB SSD or ≤ 500 GB HDD)
  • Core: Cannot be used on devices that meet the Core+ and Advanced SKU Hardware Specifications
  • Core +: High end CPU and >4 GB RAM (All Form Factors) ≥8 GB RAM & ≥1080p screen resolution (NB, 2in1, AiO) >8 GB RAM & ≥2 TB HDD or SSD storage (Desktop)
  • Advanced: Intel Core i9 (any configuration) OR Core i7 ≥ 6 Cores (any RAM) OR AMD Threadripper(any configuration) OR Intel Core i7 >16 GB (any Cores) or AMD FX/ Ryzen7 >16 GB (any Cores) OR ≥ 4K screen resolution (any processor, includes 4K UHD-3840 resolution
Seems really odd to me but interesting for discussions sake will the hardware be required to run a given version or vice versa ?

if so could be a big deal otherwise... whats the point?​
Guess what? Those new versions will not be available at retail. Instead, those separate versions will only be available to large system OEMs, who will then pay the applicable OEM charges for the various versions. It's up to the OEM to pass some of the cost to the buyer.

That makes a bit more sense. THough it surte would suck for a consumer to find out that they can't upgrade their hardware without upgrading their OS. Though for your average user it probably won't be a huge issue. but onn the other hand I imagine the big OEMs get way better prices already on win 10 home.

Are these consumer/retail editions or just what MS sells to large OEMs in volume licenses? They've charged variable prices depending on hardware specs going back at least a decade or so to when they offered a really cheap XP license for netbooks. (I wouldn't be surprised if they did similar even farther back but wasn't aware of it.) None of that specsheet tier pricing has ever been consumer facing before.

Thinking a bit more even if these are just the latest OEM only tiers they still suck because they make 8gb of ram or a 128gb SSD (which should be the floor for non-garbage tier systems) either $20 or $40 more expensive (core vs core+ is ambiguous).

OTOH if the screen restrictions have been around for a while I guess this explains why 15.6" bottom end laptops have largely disappeared over the last few years.

...I guess this explains why 15.6" bottom end laptops have largely disappeared over the last few years.
They're not around anymore because I have pentium 4s that will run the same benchmarks as entry level laptops at retailers like best buy. It's actually pretty pathetic. I've bought used systems for $20-30 that is faster than 50% of the new systems for sale at best buy. Shocks me every time I run benchmarks and compare them to what I'm using--and then compare costs. :eek:

Gotta make money somehow I guess. Not like they're getting enough out of us.

Gotta make money somehow I guess. Not like they're getting enough out of us.

It's the other way around, on anything other than a godbox level system they're giving the OEMs a cheaper windows license than your or I can buy leaving money on the table to preserve marketshare.

Back