Microsoft Quietly Cuts Off Windows 7 Support for Older Intel Computers

The childish hyperbole and exaggeration here is past the point of absurd. Customers have legitimate concerns over Microsoft's data collection practices, lack of transparency, and lack of opt out.

Talk about hype, there are people here flat out saying that Microsoft is stealing private information and selling it. But you never chastise them for their childishness.

Talk about hype, there are people here flat out saying that Microsoft is stealing private information and selling it. But you never chastise them for their childishness.

The cool thing to do is pick on the big bag companies because they MUST be doing nefarious things, even when there is no evidence otherwise.

The cool thing to do is pick on the big bag companies because they MUST be doing nefarious things, even when there is no evidence otherwise.

There are definitely legitimate concerns over Windows 10 telemetry. But it is now fully logged and anyone can inspect the data on their machines. I get that some people want an off switch for all it and I understand that. But we're three years into Windows 10, there should be some evidence by now if they are lying and grabbing all sorts of personal data and selling it.

my point is this is an OS not a nanny.
It has no business collecting anything, oh here is a switch to disable it. TRY IT, it will turn itself right back on.
wtf is the reason for a switch when it is overritten every fing time you get an update.
I don't care what they are collecting, they have no business collecting anything.
IF you are {{{{{}}}}} enough to believe they are not selling everything they can you need to move to fantasy land

I don't care what they are collecting, they have no business collecting anything.

Some level of automated real-time telemetry with something as complex and widely deployed as Windows is absolutely essential. Without it there's no way to gauge malware threats or software and hardware compatibility problems across an endless array of products that could never all be tested manually or get any real world data about just how the product is used in general. Modern development processes like Agile promote the use of automated data collection up and down the development life cycle.

What a lot of people here have a problem with isn't so much Microsoft but industry standard development practices. Nothing that Microsoft is doing here with Windows 10 is a new idea or even came from Microsoft. Continuous development and delivery, automated testing and diagnostics, all of this stuff has been HEAVILY used in the open source world for a long time.

We're not talking about individual users here and there noticing anything, we're talking about HUNDRES OF MILLIONS of devices leaking personal information across planet Earth. There's no way that's happening on the scale that Windows 10 has been deployed without any credible researchers jumping the hell all over it and putting Microsoft out of business. It's hard to see how they'd have anything cloud business left if Microsoft is basically uploading every Windows 10 hard drive and selling the data to god knows whom.
One bit of data past the key check is one bit too much and MS can go fuck itself.

Windows 10 is an aggresive push to remove your choice on how your network, data, and security is handled.
this is a massive change in principle from the legacy days of windows .

opting out is not trivial and is not permanent so it is unlike many previous applications who practiced simple telemetry.

Windows 10 is a unfriendly change in the whole end user operating system market in a effort to lump all of us together into one generic whole and apply a heavy and misguided policy that erodes the ends users privacy and ownership of their hardware and data.

This whether one recognizes it or not is a critical change in how we interact with with products from companies and will set precedence for future products.

unfortunately from the tone of the many in this thread i fear for what may come, as too many people have adopted this nightmare out right, with out caution nor question .

pretty much letting microsoft do as they please .

Some level of automated real-time telemetry with something as complex and widely deployed as Windows is absolutely essential.
No, it is not. Never has been and never will be. Oh, ok, it is essential for assholes, but not for making a better OS and better user experience.

No, it is not. Never has been and never will be. Oh, ok, it is essential for assholes, but not for making a better OS and better user experience.

Running hundreds of millions instances of an extremely complex piece of software that's a favorite target of malware vendors, that runs countless millions apps across and nearly limitless array of hardware configurations with absolutely no automated telemetry or real-time performance data?

Running hundreds of millions instances of an extremely complex piece of software that's a favorite target of malware vendors, that runs countless millions apps across and nearly limitless array of hardware configurations with absolutely no automated telemetry or real-time performance data?
We had decades of software revolution and flourishing, but it is Windows 10 that noes da wey.

Straw man. No one has actually suggested there should be zero telemetry from zero users. It should just be optional. Because if it was just about keeping tabs on malware and there was no profit motive to the data collection, then MS should have no problem providing an opt out, since most end users are oblivious and just run default (Full) telemetry settings anyway - MS would still be collecting hundreds of millions of PCs worth of data.

But it is the fact they refuse to provide an off switch that makes it very evident its about more than threat assessment or crash dumps. Big Data is big money. Cool, but does not create in Windows users a sense of obligation to feed their Big Data profits for nothing in return.

So, sorry, but no one is buying your disingenuous tripe that the collection of personally identifiable user data is required because "hey man its for your own safety, cuz malware & stuff on millions and billions of pee ceez around the world on millions of configurations". Total, corporate shilling horseshit.

Last edited:
It would be a strawman only if what you just said were true. Alas, it is not and therefore....... LOL :D Nice try though, nitpick police. :)

You're befuddled. Re-read the comment I responded to. It's a straw man exactly for the reasons I stated.

Straw man. No one has actually suggested there should be zero telemetry from zero users. It should just be optional. Because if it was just about keeping tabs on malware and there was no profit motive to the data collection, then MS should have no problem providing an opt out, since most end users are oblivious and just run default (Full) telemetry settings anyway - MS would still be collecting hundreds of millions of PCs worth of data.

But it is the fact they refuse to provide an off switch that makes it very evident its about more than threat assessment or crash dumps. Big Data is big money. Cool, but does not create in Windows users a sense of obligation to feed their Big Data profits for nothing in return.

So, sorry, but no one is buying your disingenuous tripe that the collection of personally identifiable user data is required because "hey man its for your own safety, cuz malware & stuff on millions and billions of pee ceez around the world on millions of configurations". Total, corporate shilling horseshit.
All I know is I have no ads, so if the telemetry is to advertise to me, MS is doing something wrong....you know, like allowing me to turn off "ads" that are really just things like "hey have you tried office 360," not that I've seen that in months if not a year or more...because, ya know, I did a google search and turned it off.

But what evs. You be you.

Doesn't the Workstation version give you that (as does enterprise)
Not the stuff I listed, though if I'm in error, by all means explain how to get that list I mentioned, particularly the ability to not have Windows update without your permission.

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (long term servicing branch, renamed LTSC, channel) has been out for a long time. The best version there is. No Cortana, no Edge, no Store, etc. Still has a little leftover bloat but not too bad. You still have to go through and disable all of the telemetry settings and whatnot. Updates a far fewer and you get to delay them a lot longer. Problem is that you have to have an Enterprise Volume Licence agreement to legally get LTSB. LTSB is still at version 1607. 1607 came out in 2016 and the next "feature" update for LTSB is not scheduled until 2019.

Not the stuff I listed, though if I'm in error, by all means explain how to get that list I mentioned, particularly the ability to not have Windows update without your permission.
I was under the impression that it was essentially enterprise without forcing you to buy a volume license, but truth is it's pretty hard to get a lot of details on the workstation sku. If it's for work, call MS to get details. It also looks like the education sku is identical to Enterprise (based solely on tables on wikipedia, but I'm not sure how one gets that and it'd certainly not be legal for commercial use.

Back