Microsoft Pulls Security Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just FYI, Microsoft is recommending that you uninstall update 2823324 after the company found a flaw in the patch.

We are aware that some of our customers may be experiencing difficulties after applying security update 2823324, which we provided in security bulletin MS13-036 on Tuesday, April 9. We've determined that the update, when paired with certain third-party software, can cause system errors. As a precaution, we stopped pushing 2823324 as an update when we began investigating the error reports, and have since removed it from the download center.

Well, frack, it's already installed.

Be right back while I fix this... oh wait, the security bulletin says this is only for Windows Vista, 7 and Server 2008, 32- and 64-bit versions.

Yea, already ran into this at a few clients. Real annoying trying to figure out wtf the deal was before MS owned up to it.

If you read the security bulletin, it does not look like Windows 8 or Server 2012 is affected.

"when paired with a certain third party software"... Of which they can't divulge the name??

What if I don't have that "third party software" installed and would prefer to remain more secure?

I'll have to check my system when I get home ... it has been doing this weird disk check during book for the last couple of days ... I was worried my disc might be getting hinky but maybe it is just the security update

"when paired with a certain third party software"... Of which they can't divulge the name??

What if I don't have that "third party software" installed and would prefer to remain more secure?

Kaspersky Antivirus

hmm mine pc ran lousy yesterday. i wonder if this is the culprit? It doesnt list any of the software so i guess i will just remove it

So M$ says to remove KB282334. I did and after the reboot Windows Update pops up as says "New Update KB2823324." M$ said they were pulling it from the list? What a circle jerk!

Once you uninstall KB2823324, you can hide the update in Windows Update until Microsoft releases another one.

This is why I try to give it a week before installing any updates. If no bad news has occurred from installing a particular update, I go ahead and update.

Ok, little confused, read this link to how to uninstall

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011

But question is I already restarted many times form install of that update (not sure I rebooted, well once after it installed) but I have no issue that i can see, no Anti-virus and nothing in event window (ID55 ) or anything with system logs NTSF .

So it ok to just uninstall from control panel/programs Kb2823324 ?

Well, I uninstalled the update even though I don't seem to be affected by this. Windows wants to reinstall the same update though. Very odd. I wonder if it is because I don't have this "3rd party software" installed on my system. I don't bother with antivirus software btw.

Well, I uninstalled the update even though I don't seem to be affected by this. Windows wants to reinstall the same update though. Very odd. I wonder if it is because I don't have this "3rd party software" installed on my system. I don't bother with antivirus software btw.

you need to hide update as it on your system locally .

Well, I checked, I don't see it in my installed updates. Just ran update and can see it there. I'm moving to a week after update released to install routine to avoid anymore of this buffoonery from MS.

A flaw in a patch from Microsoft? Say it ain't so.

And they are breaking their track record. Usually they put out a patch, then a week or two later put out another patch to patch the first patch, and so on.

I removed the update and Windows wanted to reinstall the update also. I went to windows update and reran check for updates and it disappeared. What is weird is that one system removed the update without it showing backup.

Thanks -- Luckily we only pushed to our department for testing prior to the mass. This is why I scroll through hardocp news page daily.

Yeah that one fubard my system real well, way to go MS love to see you test shit before you deploy...

Yeah that one fubard my system real well, way to go MS love to see you test shit before you deploy...
To test with every possible scenario would mean they'd be so far behind with patches that you'd scream they're that far behind.

It's much like the OEM fault of the XP SP3 infinite reboot. It wasn't Microsoft's fault that some of the OEM's used the same image for Intel and AMD procs; it was the OEM's.

Back