Microsoft Pulls Buggy Patch Tuesday Updates

HardOCP News

[H] News
The way things have been going lately, Microsoft may want to look into starting a Patch Wednesday to fix all the problems with Patch Tuesday.

Microsoft's December Patch Tuesday didn't exactly ring in the holidays in a merry way. Launched this past Tuesday, the latest round of Microsoft updates contained two that were beset with technical woes. In response, Microsoft had to pull one of the updates and advise enterprise customers to roll back the second one.

Razzum-frazzum-stupid-broken-updates. At least I have only like one computer that might have a problem. I'm seriously like not gonna turn on my Windows laptop until at least Saturday after the Update Tuesday and just use the Linux stuff instead.

I'm rarely in a rush to install anything because they don't even tell you what the fuck any of them do. Well, not in any practical way, at least.

Gawd damn, how many times is this gonna happen? Yeah, by this point most of us have refused to install new updates immediately. We hold off on dat shit and wait, cuz it seems they keep throwing out those buggy updates, having to recall them and issue fixes. It's sad that I'm not exactly surprised anymore.

KB3004xxx was the culprit. Today I notice there is a new KB starting with 3004. It broke Windows Defender and Update on several new PCs here. Their new Silverlight version also broke Amazon Prime Instant Video (other things too I'm sure) until the old Silverlight was uninstalled and the new version installed. While that is not a big deal to us IT people, the average user would have big problems.

Their new Silverlight version also broke Amazon Prime Instant Video (other things too I'm sure) until the old Silverlight was uninstalled and the new version installed. While that is not a big deal to us IT people, the average user would have big problems.

Thanks, I noticed the issue with the SL player for Amazon Video the other day but didn't realize the SL had been updated. In this case the fix is very simple. The Amazon player provides a link the SL repair utility which then proceeds to uninstall and install the new version.

Microsoft needs to step up it's testing game here. It looks like too many obvious and widespread things are getting broken in some of these patches.

So glad we wait a week before applying patches to even our pilot users.

If they didn't pull it, they'd have to consider a Tuesday to the power of Tuesday Patch Tuesday. :D

Seems that KB3004394 was pulled sometime prior to last night since none of my 2008 R2 systems have it installed. It's a good thing I waited a couple days, though I really should wait at least a week from now on unless it's absolutely critical.

Or go back to Service Packs which was tested by OEM's to make sure they worked.
Why I hate Automatic Updates. I turn them off on all my machine till I know they work.

I don't think I have used windows update since XP Service Pack 2.

Don't see wtf they can't bundle patches like Apple does with OSX. Microsofts hundreds of patches a year, sometimes thousands gets really tiresome. They shouldn't release their OSes with so many damn bugs which is obvious with all the patches Microsoft constantly pushes out. I remember a old saying with code, garbage in, garbage out. Lately, Microsoft is shoveling a lot, especially with the patches even on their Xbox One system. Honestly though, it seems everyone is constantly patching these days, no one can release something that isn't riddled with bugs anymore in the Windows environment it seems.

Back