Microsoft Prepares New Update Options for Windows 10

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Those of you who are sick of Windows 10 rebooting in the middle of something important should be pleased to know that the Creators Update will now let you “snooze” or defer updates for an entire year. Microsoft has also added a dialog that warns you when an update is available, with buttons that let you decide when it is installed. This is probably less exciting for W10 Pro users, as they have had the option to delay updates for a while, but I guess it is great news for everyone else.

In a major reversal of previous policy, Microsoft will allow users to click Snooze repeatedly, effectively deferring updates indefinitely. That's not a recommended course of action, but it's how the feature will work. These new options apply to all Windows 10 editions. For administrators who want to apply policy-based delays and deferrals to updates, the new release will consolidate update controls into the Settings app, adding some knobs and levers that make them much easier to manage and no longer requiring Group Policy. You'll pay for the privilege, though: the following new update controls are available only for the Pro/Enterprise/Education editions. The entry-level edition of Windows 10 offers none of the new update controls.

Last edited:
How about the ability for Pro to turn it OFF, not keep delaying. All it takes is one broken update. There are updates to Windows 7 that to this day still can break software I use that MS never fixed. I can skip those. I won't be able to skip anything on 10.

Took them long enough. Too little too late to save my wife from all the aggravation of random reboots (3 times) while in the middle of her grad school papers. :mad:

So they are going back to how it was before.

I feel like these features we know and love are announced as great new features, same with apple.

How about the ability for Pro to turn it OFF, not keep delaying. All it takes is one broken update. There are updates to Windows 7 that to this day still can break software I use that MS never fixed. I can skip those. I won't be able to skip anything on 10.
How about they just bring back the ability to select which updates you want like it was before W10...

Microsoft takes 10 steps in the wrong direction and then one in the right...better than nothing I guess.

I have a piece of software I wrote that I had to redo some of the code multiple times because of Windows 7 security updates.

I am pretty sure it is because the way I was doing things was somewhat hack-y because even the MS examples of how to do it didn't work at all.

And in the case of the software you use, it is probably the same type of thing. MS fixed security holes and the maker of that software that has issues with those updates never bothered to go back and fix those problems.

I've had Windows 10 OS updates every day for the last few days.. a few of them taking 2 times to install because they failed the first time. I ended up clearing out the temp files and doing a drive cleanup and that seems to have taken care of that issue.

Then last night, it gave me the creator's update.

I friggen swear, Steve Jobs ghost is getting revenge on all us Windows users for making fun of Mac's all these years. :sick:

Well heartlessun will come here and tell you that's impossible because it's being dynamically developed, despite MS totally having the ability to NOT do it that way if they wanted to.

Windows 10 is maintained on three different branches, the current and two prior build versions, the LTSBs. That's pretty standard practice and the current branch gets updates and they cumulative. If updates aren't cumulative it gets very complicated with dependencies. Prior versions of Windows tended to be static and not introduce much functional change. This will be the 3rd release of Windows 10 with major functional changes in less than two years from release. Microsoft would pretty need to go back to a three year waterfall cycle to make updating like it used to be as updating follows the development and delivery process, not the other way around.

That's something. One step better would be to also branch the updates into those affecting networking, security, frameworks, malware removal signatures...

Took them long enough. Too little too late to save my wife from all the aggravation of random reboots (3 times) while in the middle of her grad school papers. :mad:

Yeah.

I completely nuked Windows Update because of it, so I went 3 months without a security update. Why? Because they annoyed me. So their brilliant "this is safer" method was less safe. It's been so damn peaceful I forgot about WU until recently.

next they will announce the revolutionary start menu. i swear, they envy apple and google so much but they only manage to copy the worst of them, sheesh.

Windows 10 is maintained on three different branches, the current and two prior build versions, the LTSBs. That's pretty standard practice and the current branch gets updates and they cumulative. If updates aren't cumulative it gets very complicated with dependencies. Prior versions of Windows tended to be static and not introduce much functional change. This will be the 3rd release of Windows 10 with major functional changes in less than two years from release. Microsoft would pretty need to go back to a three year waterfall cycle to make updating like it used to be as updating follows the development and delivery process, not the other way around.

Do you ever get tired of spinning, astroturfing and copy/pasting the corporate line? :D I hope you're being compensated on some level by MS or it's kind of bizarre, no offense.

Bottom line is Windows 10 continues to LOSE marketshare while 7 gains, even though 10 is pre-installed on new PCs and the only choice. The net loss therefore represents significant gross rejection. The current policies are not working and will need to change. It's really that simple.

Last edited:
Do you EVER get tired of spinning, astroturfing and copy/pasting the corporate line? :D

I hope you're being compensated on some level by MS or it's just sad and bizarre, no offense.

Just stating the facts here. If you do continuous delivery and deployment on any software product, updates are forced and cumulative as a result on the current branch. More stable builds are a different branch that are updated separately. If you going to criticize someone stating well know software development practices used by pretty much everyone, then I wonder who might be compensating you.;)

Mindless and baseless hate of Windows is cool and edgy. If you dare admit you actually LIKE W10 online, you're a paid shill.

And it get WAY hyperbolic. Simply discussing widely practiced software development processes becomes some paid defense of Microsoft.

And it get WAY hyperbolic. Simply discussing widely practiced software development processes becomes some paid defense of Microsoft.

Your post covered software dev and nothing specific about W10, so I don't get it either.

I just don't get where exactly the Win10 haters want MS to go. Just stick with Win7 forever? Never change anything? I agree Win10 has some possible privacy issues. And the control panel / settings menu is still a bad mis-mash of the old and new styles. But overall it's worked well for me since release on several machines.

Wow. How nice of them, you'll be able to keep those unnecessary desktop features like 'control panel' a whole extra year after they decide it's time to strip them out!

Do you ever get tired of spinning, astroturfing and copy/pasting the corporate line?

^ And there Heatless goes burying posts.

Heatlessun.jpg

Gdamn, MS is pissing me off. In 8/8.1 the default music and pictures folders were integrated into the OS so you could not rename them etc, because they were tied to media services/applications. Win 10 wasn't like this, wasn't. Recently I started to notice my shares to the music and pic folders broken. After taking a look I notice the wmpnetworksvc taking over permissions as it collates my music and pictures. WTF, I didn't ask for that! And apparently I can't stop it either. And this is on top of the other annoying MS breaking Win 10 stuff.

They aren't random. She ignored the notifications and then was shocked when the system did what it told her it would do.

The real question is why she never saved in between...and doesn't word have auto save these days? I mean if I've got important stuff to do, I'll make sure to save every few minutes myself just in case.

They aren't random. She ignored the notifications and then was shocked when the system did what it told her it would do.

Oh look, more arrogant victim blaming. And the problem is perfectly demonstrated in that statement: the idea that the system is "telling" the user what it would do. The user is the customer, and pissing off the customer is not the way to win usershare and mindshare.

Oh look, more arrogant victim blaming. And the problem is perfectly demonstrated in that statement: the idea that the system is "telling" the user what it would do.

Because if the engine light comes on in your car, ignore it. How dare the system tell the user what to do.

Because if the engine light comes on in your car, ignore it. How dare the system tell the user what to do.

Dumb analogy. Because a car isn't going to stop and restart the engine while you're driving it on the freeway just because there's a notification light that a software update is available to the GPS NAV. Unless ofcourse that car made was by Microsoft, in which case you would blindly defend that engine reboot that causes a car crash. And you'd blame the customer, because that software update to the GPS needed to happen right there and then and how dare they ignore the notification light.

Unfortunately its not merely critical security updates that cause forced reboots in Windows 10, its also trivial updates. There's no defending that bullshit.

Last edited:
Dumb analogy. Because a car isn't going to stop and restart the engine while you're driving it on the freeway just because there's a notification light that a software update is available to the GPS NAV. Unless ofcourse that car made was by Microsoft, in which case you would blindly defend that engine reboot causing a car crash vehemently, and blame the customer, because that software update to the GPS needed to happen right there and then.

Unfortunately its not merely critical security updates that cause forced reboots in Windows 10, its also trivial updates. There's no defending that bullshit.

Microsoft is not stupid. They simply looked at the data. Imagine if they're getting 1,000 support calls a day for problems that were fixed in existing patches. Or getting 1,000 reports of malware or intrusions that were fixed by existing security updates that just had been deferred by users.

Now they FORCE the updates. And now they're getting 50 calls a day from users pissed about the forced updates.

That's how they "defend that bullshit".

Dumb analogy. Because a car isn't going to stop and restart the engine while you're driving it on the freeway just because there's a notification light that a software update is available to the GPS NAV.

Plenty of cars have "stopped" because people ignored check engine lights.

Outside of Patch Tuesdays the only updates that come out regularly are for Windows Defender that don't require a reboot. I get that it's a problem for some and needed to be addressed.

Great analogy! This is just like a car where the engine light comes on every other day, despite taking it into the shop every time it does! That almost sounds like a design flaw!

Microsoft is not stupid. They simply looked at the data. Imagine if they're getting 1,000 support calls a day for problems that were fixed in existing patches. Or getting 1,000 reports of malware or intrusions that were fixed by existing security updates that just had been deferred by users.

Now they FORCE the updates. And now they're getting 50 calls a day from users pissed about the forced updates.

That's how they "defend that bullshit".
And therefore, rather than make automatic updating the DEFAULT option, or awlays on for Home edition, which that alone would probably cover 95% of these cases or more, they decided to make it mandatory for EVERYONE because fuck middle ground.

Coming from guy that posts "Linux supports 1/3rd of my Steam games" everywhere that's precious.
Oh, so he's "that guy". The more realistic statement would be 5% of my steam library runs in linux, but at 1/3 of the speed as the windows counterpart. LOL

Back