Microsoft PowerShell Goes Open Source

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
PowerShell has been published under the MIT license, making it open source, and Linux and Mac ports are planned (with an alpha already available). While nobody knows when the final versions will drop, this development should strengthen PowerShell’s role as a “bridge technology” that helps devs port software and such.

The initial Linux support is for Ubuntu, CentOS and RedHat. "Others will follow," said Jeffrey Snover, a Microsoft technical fellow and creator of PowerShell, speaking to The Reg. "And we’re open-sourcing it. That’s the source code for PowerShell Windows, which is the version that runs on the full CLR, as well as the PowerShell Core." Another key announcement is that OpenSSH – for remote login using the SSH protocol – will be integrated into PowerShell. "We’re embedding it into the heart of PowerShell," said Snover. "We’re layering the PowerShell remoting protocol over OpenSSH, as a native transport. Customers will be able to choose the existing WinRM protocol or OpenSSH."

Handy as fuck. Especially with the takeover of automation and orchestration in hybrid OS environments.

Heh, no Windows 7 support.

This is probably in response to adding the Bash shell to Windows 10. I remember mentioning how nice would that go with Powershell compatibility. Someone listened and considering how horrible things were going so far, this is a smart move from MS.
Someone will eventually take that source (C#?) and build some bridges. Accidental outsourcing this part to Open Source could be a win-win scenario.

This is probably in response to adding the Bash shell to Windows 10. I remember mentioning how nice would that go with Powershell compatibility. Someone listened and considering how horrible things were going so far, this is a smart move from MS.
Someone will eventually take that source (C#?) and build some bridges. Accidental outsourcing this part to Open Source could be a win-win scenario.

Bash in Windows has been pretty fun for work. Turns out if you install an X-Server you can run some Linux GUI programs as well even though it is "not supported". I never thought I would see the day I would type "sudo apt-get install ... " while in Windows, but it is nice to see.

options are always great!

Though I like powershell... is it only me that sees people going crazy with it? As IT we constantly complained about homebrew apps and databases, I am seeing PS scripts starting to cause similar issues.

Admins are doing crazy scripts/customization to systems just because they can without thought of if they should due to support, documentation etc.

I love using scripting to do massive 1 time conversions, or small automation tasks and even small simple apps. Though once you get into complex/large apps or scripts that are 100s of lines to even make a system work on a daily basis you are getting into that homebrew app territory and should spend the time to ensure it is supported, maintained, tested and documented properly.

Maybe this mixed with the bash on Windows is supposed to make the Windows OS more appealing to hardcore Linux people? I would not classify myself as hardcore anything, so I can't say.

Having something akin to X-Windows natively in Windows would be stellar. VNC and RemoteDesktop are very useful most of the time, but sometimes you don't need "all that".

So you wins in the age old battle "ls VS dir"?

and is it "\" or "/" ??

and can we finally settle on "CRLF" vs "LF"?????

Maybe this mixed with the bash on Windows is supposed to make the Windows OS more appealing to hardcore Linux people? I would not classify myself as hardcore anything, so I can't say.

Just getting back to the mind set that it's ok to work with a command line (console/terminal) would be a refreshing change. GUI's are nice, but command line makes things so much easier to integrate and tie together.

I suppose I had that coming :)

I've got 5.something installed. Good enough for my mild usage, at least till someone else gets around to porting it...hint hint

Back