Microsoft Plans To Offer Tool To Port Chrome Extensions To Edge

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While there are plenty of Chrome extensions I find useful, what would really impress me is if one of these browsers managed to work with Firefox add-ons.

Windows Insider members can try out a few extensions in Microsoft Edge on the PC version of Windows 10, with more promised in the future. However, a lot more could find their way to Edge if Microsoft sticks to a plan for porting Chrome extensions to its browser. Based on Rossi's posts, it would appear that the tool is still early in development.

Microsoft should focus on making the Edge browser usable instead of wasting resources on porting add-ons.

Why bother porting Chrome extensions to Edge when I can just use Chrome?

Exactly why it won't matter. MS just doesn't get it. Like trying to make a tool to port iOS apps to Metro apps, not grasping the fact that for many devs there are philosophical reasons they won't bother.

And since Chrome is real deal Win32 while Edge is a WinRT based metro app, Chrome will remain superior.

Huh... Edge is smoother and faster for everything I've done on the web then Chrome. Not only that, but it uses less system resources.

The only reason I use Chrome is because I am invested into the Google ecosystem (Keep, Sheets, Hangouts Dialer, etc).

Huh... Edge is smoother and faster for everything I've done on the web then Chrome. Not only that, but it uses less system resources.

The only reason I use Chrome is because I am invested into the Google ecosystem (Keep, Sheets, Hangouts Dialer, etc).

I like Edge myself too. However, for some reason or another, once I started using Windows 10, I switched to Firefox and have not looked back. (I use them all but Firefox mostly.) Before that, I would use Internet Explorer in full screen mode quite a bit.

Huh... Edge is smoother and faster for everything I've done on the web then Chrome.

Bring smoother and faster than Chrome isn't much of an accomplishment. You pretty much just have to not-be-Chrome to pull off that feat.

Back