Microsoft Overhauls Command Prompt Colors

monkeymagick

[H]News
For the first time in 20 years, Microsoft is updating the Windows Console. The new color scheme is made more legible for modern displays with higher contrasts. Users will need a clean install of build 16257 to test out the implementation. This revamp is a part of Microsoft's planned Fall Creators Update and efforts to support the Linux command-line. Of course, it has always been possible to change colors prior to this update. Put it into the pile and blame it on millennials.

Windows 10 testers will only see the new colors if they clean install build 16257, and if you upgrade you'll keep the legacy colors to ensure any custom color settings are not replaced. Microsoft is planning to release a tool soon that will allow Windows 10 testers to apply the new color scheme and a selection of alternatives. Developers, you can thank Microsoft summer intern Craig Loewen for the overhaul.

Last edited:
Its always been possible to change the colors but they require a rebuild to change the default? No thanks I will stick with linux at home.

Man, I had a colorful command prompt back in the 80's using DOS. This is new? lol

I actually find the older scheme easier on the eyes. I like dark backgrounds with text with just enough brightness.

I thought they were doing away with CMD in the latest windows 10 in favor of powershell anyway? Not that it matters, powershell is ridiculously powerfull and can do pretty much anything on a windows box. That combined with the ubuntu bash shell, my windows 10 work laptop can do all linux/windows admin tasks now, without requiring a separate VM.

For all the bitching about 10, MS has made some serious improvements, making it much better for dev/devops.

Back