microsoft outage

Outages are part of the game, regardless of your infrastructure.

"Offsite infrastructures"* are a risk because it abstracts and largely obfuscates responsibility. When we're talking about critical infrastructure, this is a "Bad Thing™".

* - a better term than the bullshit marketing term 'cloud'

Outages are part of the game, regardless of your infrastructure.

"Offsite infrastructures"* are a risk because it abstracts and largely obfuscates responsibility. When we're talking about critical infrastructure, this is a "Bad Thing™".

* - a better term than the bullshit marketing term 'cloud'

this is close to what I told my wife, it is one thing to have one computer go down, the only person that cares is the person using it, it is another when all the computers go down!

this will be a on going problem for people that off load their "infrastructure" to the cloud you no longer have control over what happens or what is going on. for my wife's company of 20,0000, yes thats right 20k employees they are living without email so they are communicating via phones.

the question then becomes what happens when everyone goes to a cloud operating system, which the rumors are pointing to with mirco$oft? if call a company needing to pay a bill or need help with something and they tell you then can't help because they whole system is down what then? micro$oft isn't going to give anyone a refund.

this is close to what I told my wife, it is one thing to have one computer go down, the only person that cares is the person using it, it is another when all the computers go down!

this will be a on going problem for people that off load their "infrastructure" to the cloud you no longer have control over what happens or what is going on. for my wife's company of 20,0000, yes thats right 20k employees they are living without email so they are communicating via phones.

the question then becomes what happens when everyone goes to a cloud operating system, which the rumors are pointing to with mirco$oft? if call a company needing to pay a bill or need help with something and they tell you then can't help because they whole system is down what then? micro$oft isn't going to give anyone a refund.
It'll never happen. Some services can be offloaded to remote companies, and it will sometimes even make sense; In this day and age of regulations and laws about data retention related to emails, I'd rather let someone else worry about that if the price is right ( for example ). In fact, email is a great candidate for offloading. I remember when I ran my own mail server, having to stay on top of the av/spam crap, in addition to the regulator retention laws and stuff. Thank you, no; if I can get "someone" else to handle that at a fraction of the cost of my salary, it's more than worth a few outages every now and then.

But critical services? Nope, some companies might be foolish enough to push these offsite, but they'll be the examples of why it's a bad idea.

ps: Seriously? M$? Can we move beyond that? It was barely clever 15 years ago, it's showing it's age.

I've had plenty of businesses I call (usually credit card providers) tell me that their system is down and I need to call back later. Sometimes businesses care enough to write a note (on paper, presumably) with the details they need, and call me back later when their systems are working and they can proceed (or to confirm that they have proceeded). Sucks for them if it was an impulse buy and I change my mind, but it's not unmanageable.

It's Office 365, it's going to have some issues, it's not like gmail is always up either. Their SLA is 99.9%, that's just shy of 9 hours a year it can be down.

We had one customer report an outage today. We lost access to some services for about 4 hours yesterday. Downtime will happen no matter where the systems are hosted. Office 365 is still a great choice for small businesses.

It's Office 365, it's going to have some issues, it's not like gmail is always up either. Their SLA is 99.9%, that's just shy of 9 hours a year it can be down.

I think you meant Office 364.

Wow.. someone still uses a $ instead of an S in Microsoft.

You get used to it. What sucks, is that when I see someone use the $ instead of S for Microsoft, I instantly think less of their opinion. It's like if I said I hated someone and they were dumb heads, but I really don't like their shirt. I don't think I'd take their opinion on that shirt. Seems a little bias from the start.

We are a month away from doing a company wide move to Office 365. IT is part of the pilot, along with several others. Lync & Email being down sucks. But, he had downtime with Lotus Notes, too.

I think it really comes down to if you're at fault, you accept it more than if someone else can be blamed.

Why wouldn't they? It's not like the reasons for it disappeared overnight.
What reasons? Profit-seeking behavior?

I think you meant Office 364.
Office 364.625?
I think you meant 364.25
.999 (99.9% SLA) * 365 = 364.635.

Also worth pointing out is that 365's historical uptime average has been ~99.97%. Everyone's local services face less than 2.6 hours of downtime per year? Unlikely.

Last time I looked at windows 8 it's pretty much tied to the cloud, if their cloud system goes down does it mean windows computers stop working too? If yes it's yet another reason to avoid it. :p

And yeah gmail has had quite a few outages too. Personally I don't like to depend on 3rd parties for my stuff so I host everything myself.

Last time I looked at windows 8 it's pretty much tied to the cloud, if their cloud system goes down does it mean windows computers stop working too? If yes it's yet another reason to avoid it. :p

And yeah gmail has had quite a few outages too. Personally I don't like to depend on 3rd parties for my stuff so I host everything myself.

Windows 8 the os is not tied to the cloud at all. The store and apps that run on 8 are tied to the cloud. If the "cloud" is down the pc\laptop is still usable it is not a chrome book.

It's been out for almost 2 years and people still throw this kind of crap around?

Yes, "lol" because corporate email systems have 100% uptime.

Seriously, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that Outlook and Gmail have significantly higher uptime than the vast majority of self-hosted systems.

Someone's never heard of an SLA and has zero experience with corporate email. Congratulations.

Gmail goes down probably just as much as Microsoft's stuff. Went down for 50 min in Jan, probably some other times as well this year.

^ This.

As XOR != OR aluded to in the beginning. This is part of the Cloud services model. NOBODY is 100%. MS has had their issues with BPOS/O365. Google has had more than a couple hiccups with GApps in the lase few years. And Amazon, by far the most troubling in my mind since a large amount of the world's cloud/web/email capacity resides there, has had a few outages. The biggest difference was that Amazon actually released a account of the triage and will re-engineer to prevent that in the future.

If you outsource to the cloud (i.e. hosted data) you have to expect some minor outages as part of your model for usage.

If you outsource to the cloud (i.e. hosted data) you have to expect some minor outages as part of your model for usage.
No matter where your infrastructure sits, you have to plan for some unexpected downtime. The only difference is that you don't have direct control of the circumstances when you outsource your infrastructure*, and you should plan accordingly.

For relatively minor infrastructure with high overhead it might make sense.

* - Still refusing to use the bullshit marketing term "cloud"

Windows 8 the os is not tied to the cloud at all. The store and apps that run on 8 are tied to the cloud. If the "cloud" is down the pc\laptop is still usable it is not a chrome book.

That's good to know, I was not sure. I just remember seeing someone installing it and you pretty much could not do anything without a microsoft account, but maybe that's just the initial setup.

That's good to know, I was not sure. I just remember seeing someone installing it and you pretty much could not do anything without a microsoft account, but maybe that's just the initial setup.

two ways around that, unplug your ethernet cord and you can create a local account, or just click create microsoft account and then at the bottom there is an option that says i don't want to create an account and to do a local account instead. Kind weird how they did it.

Also, a Microsoft account can work on cached credentials, so even if the internet goes down, if you only have a Microsoft account on the Win8+ machine, you can still login.

I wouldn't say one can't do anything without a Microsoft account on Win8+, but they certainly are trying to lean people towards it. The Mail/People/Calendar apps are particularly sensitive to having one.

Also, a Microsoft account can work on cached credentials, so even if the internet goes down, if you only have a Microsoft account on the Win8+ machine, you can still login.

I wouldn't say one can't do anything without a Microsoft account on Win8+, but they certainly are trying to lean people towards it. The Mail/People/Calendar apps are particularly sensitive to having one.

I use gmail with the mail/people/calendar apps. No issues whatsoever, those apps aren't tied to Microsoft only.

Back