Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I personally already have the keyboard, and it's the most comfortable keyboard I've ever typed on. As a matter of fact, it's what I'm using to make this post.

What's your opinion on this keyboard, and how has it improved your typing experience?

The keys are a little too tactile/hard for my liking and I could not get used to how hard they were to press down.

at first i hated it. i found it very hard to use while playing games. but after a while, when i got used to it...

I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!

It's the best keyboard ever made. The only change I would like is to make the keyboard a bit more customizeable - zoom slider is USELESS, it would be better if it would scroll up/down (page or even x lines). Also, I would have appreciated a track forward/track backward button as well.

It's definitely an excellent keyboard. I find it very comfortable for work use. I do prefer a standard layout keyboard for FPS gaming though.

Honesty, I've been through tons and tons of different keyboards, not to mention almost all of Microsoft's models, Saitek models, and a few others. I've always generally stuck to Microsoft models, but this is the absolute most comfortable a keyboard has been for me.

Yes, I may be suffering from trying to justify my purchase, :D but my hands and wrists cannot lie after a few hours of heavy gaming and typing there is no trace of pain or discomfort.

Are you guys talking about the wireless keyboard. I just bought the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000 with ergonomic keyboard and optical mouse. The mouse doesn't look too special but the keyboard looks great with a "real" wrist wrest. (it is still in the box. I'm trying to read up on it before I crack it open) :confused:

Best keyboard out at the moment in my opinion, and I don't see anything beating it for a LONG time.

I'm still a little confused. Are you guys talking about the wireless one that comes in the desktop package?? Microsoft makes a wired natural 4000 keyboard as well.

I think they're talkin about the wired one. My only gripe with this KB is the fact that it doesnt support a PS2 adapter. The only reason I dont use mine is because I have a KVM and 3 machines, and a USB 4port KVM is still rather expensive; they're also not that great yet... still too many problems with them, I believe. Other than that, the KB is great. The keys are soft, so I'm not sure why nocturnal found them hard to press. The reverse slope is great, too. ZZF has the combo Natural Ergonomic 40000 and Optical 3000 mouse OEM bundle for only $43, usually.

King Nine said:
What is ZZF? I usually purchase from NewEgg.

ZipZoomFly. They are one of the advertisers on the main OCP page.

Does it still have the mushy and creaky keys the Microsoft keyboards have always had?

creaky? no. mushy? uhm... they're easily depressed... soft rubber underneath... quiet too.

I love mine, typing on it right now :p

Dan_D said:
Does it still have the mushy and creaky keys the Microsoft keyboards have always had?

No and NO. The previous Microsoft keyboards were REAL creaky for sure. I'm not sure about the "mushy" description of the keys; they were more like they were absolutely TOO stiff.

This new keyboard is a joy to type with. I'm still learning the curve when it comes to gaming, but, from my experience (and a long one at that), this is the best keyboard I've laid my hard earned cash down for. Worth every penny.

I love mine as well, once I got used to it. My wrists definately don't bother me anymore and my typing speed has gone up as well. My accuracy on the other hand is down some (not that it was ever any good :) .)

The only two gripes I have at the moment are that MS hasn't released the software for it under Vista yet and I don't know if XP's version works or not. Also the F-Lock is a PITA at times.

ryan_975 said:
Also the F-Lock is a PITA at times.

The F-lock doesn't seem to be an issue like in the previous keyboards. I'd have to enable F-lock everytime I turned on the computer or rebooted. On the 4000, it seems like the keyboard has some type of memory; once I turn on and leave F-lock on, the next time I reboot, it's automatically on.

The reason I love the G15 is because it not only feels good to type on, but the lighting system is actually useful and not just decorative like most keyboards I have used. Plus this is the only keyboard it seems without any F-Lock bullshit and as a bonus you can turn the damned Windows keys off.

ajm786 said:
The F-lock doesn't seem to be an issue like in the previous keyboards. I'd have to enable F-lock everytime I turned on the computer or rebooted. On the 4000, it seems like the keyboard has some type of memory; once I turn on and leave F-lock on, the next time I reboot, it's automatically on.

It's like that for me too, but I have toddlers (end of story :) )

I have both the Ergo 4000 and the Comfort Curve 2000, I love them both for different reasons.

Keyboards are one thing MS really does right.

Alright, after reading all of your stellar reviews of the ergo 4000 I couldn't resist and purchased it on sale at Comp-USA. It seemed like a great deal over 50% off.

Now I feel the need to replace my MX700 mouse. It is starting to get interference from something and skips constantly. I think the logitech wireless surround speakers I have might be interfering with it. I really like cordless and docking stations. I also like my forward and back buttons. I'm willing to give up cordless but not the forward and back buttons. What are you guy's suggestions? (mx 1000, mx revolution, mx 610, razer...) :confused:

Ok, I have the keyboard now and love the look and feel of it. The space bar is a little stiff and the keys are a little mushy compared to the old board. The spacebar seems to be breaking in a little better now. I'm still on a learning curve with it but for now I has my approval and my my family's.

The only draw back is I can't use the front riser that adds to the comfort level. It makes the keyboard to tall to fit in the keyboard pullout of my desk. (Wow! Even as I type this it is getting a easier to get adjusted to it) Even though I wanted a wireless keyboard I couldn't help but wanting to try this after reading the reviews. So far I'm happy but I will report back here later if I have a change of heart.

King Nine said:
Ok, I have the keyboard now and love the look and feel of it. The space bar is a little stiff and the keys are a little mushy compared to the old board. The spacebar seems to be breaking in a little better now. I'm still on a learning curve with it but for now I has my approval and my my family's.

The only draw back is I can't use the front riser that adds to the comfort level. It makes the keyboard to tall to fit in the keyboard pullout of my desk. (Wow! Even as I type this it is getting a easier to get adjusted to it) Even though I wanted a wireless keyboard I couldn't help but wanting to try this after reading the reviews. So far I'm happy but I will report back here later if I have a change of heart.

Good to hear that you like it so far. Make sure to install the Microsoft Intellipoint drivers for the best experience.

Perhaps our opinions are different, but I wouldn't say the keyboard's keys are mushy by any stretch. I've used many keyboards in the past, but the tactile response of this keyboard beats anything that I've laid my hands on. It's simply the best.

I also do not use the wrist stand, and don't intend to. When I first opened the box, I took it off and never laid sight on it again. They keyboard is just fine without it. ;)

King Nine said:
Alright, after reading all of your stellar reviews of the ergo 4000 I couldn't resist and purchased it on sale at Comp-USA. It seemed like a great deal over 50% off.

Now I feel the need to replace my MX700 mouse. It is starting to get interference from something and skips constantly. I think the logitech wireless surround speakers I have might be interfering with it. I really like cordless and docking stations. I also like my forward and back buttons. I'm willing to give up cordless but not the forward and back buttons. What are you guy's suggestions? (mx 1000, mx revolution, mx 610, razer...) :confused:

I just bought a package deal at Fry's.. $39.95 for a Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 with a sTeel QcK mousepad.

It's actually replaced my MX518 now on my gaming rig. Very light, very accurate.

ajm786 said:
Good to hear that you like it so far. Make sure to install the Microsoft Intellipoint drivers for the best experience.

Perhaps our opinions are different, but I wouldn't say the keyboard's keys are mushy by any stretch. I've used many keyboards in the past, but the tactile response of this keyboard beats anything that I've laid my hands on. It's simply the best.

I also do not use the wrist stand, and don't intend to. When I first opened the box, I took it off and never laid sight on it again. They keyboard is just fine without it. ;)
Yes, it saddens me that the majority of people do not like mushy keyboards. I feel I can type ten times or twenty times faster than a keyboard that has tactile feedback that doesn't let the letters go down fast enough. Sometimes I try to hit a letter and it doesn't get typed because the key was too hard to press down. I don't have large mammoth hands nor are my fingers trained to whack down on the keys as hard as they can so obviously I'm more adjusted to mushy keys.

I can't say I have an opinion one way or the other. I was just noting that they are mushier than my previous keyboard. I've had both and don't really mind either. The mushy keys are quieter than the other but the other had a crisp easy to push feel. The only thing I'm really adjusting to is the angle of my hands and the spit key design. The real test will be a game that is keyboard intensive.

I have both the NEK4000 and the Logitech MX Revolution. My previous keyboard was a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite circa 1998. My first reaction was similar to that of others in that the keys have more resistance than I was used to. I've been using the keyboard for nearly a month and I can't say I'm entirely used to the new feel yet. I do like everything else about the keyboard, though, including the "Favorites" buttons at the top and the appearance of the keyboard, which matches my monitor, speakers, and the MX Revolution.

Regarding the MX Revolution, I like it a lot, though there do seem to be times when it does not respond for a second. I'm not sure if this is due to the placement of receiver and possible interference from my wireless internet or not. Other than that, I like the free scrolling. I have set the search button to "show desktop" since I always have Firefox available for searching anyway. I haven't found myself using the thumb wheel much. I would probably use it more if I could configure it to do other things.

Back