Microsoft Money Switches To Digital Distribution

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Microsoft’s Money Insider blog, the company has decided to halt retail boxed sales of Microsoft Money and go to digital downloads instead. How many other products could benefit from a going this route?

You may have heard rumblings, and it’s true. We’ve decided against releasing a 2009 version of Money Plus boxed product. Microsoft Money Plus distribution efforts will focus on selling software online via download, and we have discontinued traditional box sales of the software at retail. I doubt this surprises many of you, especially those who've discussed with me how annual releases don't make much sense for a product that’s in its 17th version.

The question I have is can I still use it offline or does it have to verify everytime I open it up?

I don't really see the point of M$ Money anyway...It's just IE/hotmail with a different front-end.

This doesn't entirely make sense to me-- is it an online download, or an online service? As the "annual releases don't make much sense..." statement really means nothing if all they're doing is letting you download the latest yearly version.

And " retailers and other partners have asked for more opportunities to work with us on new distribution initiatives."-- sure, I'm sure Circuit City and Best Buy have been begging you to take product off their shelves and sell it on your own, thereby cutting them out of the loop entirely!

Just another cost cutting measure by another company that more than likely won't pass on any savings to the customer. (I bet that next year's version of Money costs exactly the same as this year's)

MS Money is a personal finance app - I've been using it for about 2 years now and now I can't live without it.

I'd have no issue with downloading it..I think the main reason is for piracy purposes.

what money used for?
Money buys you happiness, but it can't buy you love.

MS Money is a personal finance app - I've been using it for about 2 years now and now I can't live without it.

I'd have no issue with downloading it..I think the main reason is for piracy purposes.

Yeah, I have no problem with the distrabution being downloading, but remember a while back when MS was talking about a plan where you throw down a monthly fee to access things like Money, Word, ahm.. Access, and Excel and once you stopped paying you lost the ability to open up your files... I would like to avoid that for as long as I can.

I hope they fix the licensing mess they created with Money 2006. It only allows installation on a single client, which is a problem for our multi-computer/multi-user household.

Ideally, I'd be able to install it on 3-5 computers on a workgroup (like Office 2007 Home/Student Edition allows). I want to store the data file on our media server, since it's always on. I want to install the client on my main machine, my wife's machine, and our laptop. But no, you can only install the client on a single desktop machine and one laptop, with the data file on one or the other.

Bah.

I use Quicken, but that aside, good. Final Cut Studio and Microsoft Office are the last pieces of software I purchased that came on DVDs. Everything else I purchased a license key and downloaded. All my PC and OS X games are digital downloads now. I can't wait until absolutely every piece of software I buy, console games included, is via download.

Hell, I'm downloading all my books now for the Kindle and its awesome. The only place I draw the line is movies, and that's because the bitrate for downloads is still way too low compared to what you get on a Blu Ray disc.

That said, something like Money or Quicken gets no benefit from being a hard copy. :)

I tried Money in the past and found myself annoyed at the product. I then moved on to Quicken - I generally thought it was a decent product. However, I ran into database corruption on several occasions, very slow updates (could have been the financial institutions I was linked to).
I am currently using http://moneycenter.yodlee.com. It's free - and is superior to the other two products. It's online only - so that may be a drawback to some folks. However, you can export the data to use it with Excel, etc.

I tried Money in the past and found myself annoyed at the product. I then moved on to Quicken - I generally thought it was a decent product. However, I ran into database corruption on several occasions, very slow updates (could have been the financial institutions I was linked to).
I am currently using http://moneycenter.yodlee.com. It's free - and is superior to the other two products. It's online only - so that may be a drawback to some folks. However, you can export the data to use it with Excel, etc.

I considered going with that service but I just can't stomach keep all of my bank and brokerage info in a place like that. I shouldn't be that paranoid but I am. How secure do you feel with it right now?

I'll stick with Quicken for the time being, I just wish there was something better.

Back