Microsoft Launches Windows 7

Interesting find with the upgrade option.
Looks like I should just be able to punch in my "upgrade" serial (MS supposedly mailed it today) into my MSDN RTM copy...which is pretty sweet. I was fully prepared to have to treat it like Vista and install the upgrade on top of an existing working copy.

Yeah, its awesome. Let us know how it works out in your case.

Interesting find with the upgrade option.
Looks like I should just be able to punch in my "upgrade" serial (MS supposedly mailed it today) into my MSDN RTM copy...which is pretty sweet. I was fully prepared to have to treat it like Vista and install the upgrade on top of an existing working copy.

I dont know dude, I am the farthest thing from a coder you can get but I know that it took me less than 20 minutes to install the RC and almost 50 minutes to install Win7 pro upgrade as a clean install. I am not sure you would not be missing something unless you went the whole nine yards?

I dont know dude, I am the farthest thing from a coder you can get but I know that it took me less than 20 minutes to install the RC and almost 50 minutes to install Win7 pro upgrade as a clean install. I am not sure you would not be missing something unless you went the whole nine yards?

Edit, the RC was on a clean partition and I did give windows the estra task of creating windows old for my Vista Ulitmate. Could that have been the difference?

True but I think that Windows bashing with 7 is going to be a LOT harder with 7 than Vista. Vista jokes where funny because they had a lot of truth in them.

7 jokes are going to start looking stupid. Let's see how these ads stack up in 6 months to a year from now. Apple is ALREADY on the attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvloPFYocw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoGYBxbe_bw

Yeah I was going to post that. It's started already. I saw this commercial when I was on the treadmill at the gym and it made me hit the stop button and just stand there shaking my head.

Apple just can't leave Windows alone, can't they? Can't they, you know, promote their own fucking products which is pretty decent or good in their own rights and leave Microsoft alone?

It's getting ridiculous.

Azhar - It really is dumb. Their products stand on their own just fine, I can only imagine they still run those stupid ads because they're so controversial.

Obnoxious bullshit, good thing I don't watch TV. :)

Thx to the postal strike I recieved mine a day early - wont be installing it though - going to wait for sp 1

hmm still not quite sure why everyone waits for the Service packs.. You are missing out. Windows 7 is awesome.

Exactly, just install the dam thing, people have been using it for months already from the RC, people always think an OS is such crap, or still in beta until an SP comes out, it gets annoying after a while, install it and i am sure you wont have any issues, especially if your already running vista!

People waiting on Win7 SP1 are out of their minds. Windows 7 runs great, and so much of it is Vista that whatever major issues there would be with a completely new OS have been shaken out ages ago.

Just install it.

Running 7 Pro x86 on my Dell Mini 9 and 7 Pro x64 on my desktop. Both acquired legitimately from the $20 ACM deal.Two friends at my school acquired Pro x64 the same way, and three others bought it for $30 straight from M$.

People waiting on Win7 SP1 are out of their minds. Windows 7 runs great, and so much of it is Vista that whatever major issues there would be with a completely new OS have been shaken out ages ago.

Just install it.

And the people said "Amen!":)

Wow, this is very interesting news on Windows 7 clean installs with upgrade discs:

http://windows7news.com/2009/10/22/how-to-clean-install-from-windows-7-upgrade-media/

Bottom line:

The good, nay, excellent news is that performing a clean install using upgrade media is now the same as performing a clean install.

Windows 7 will just install merrily on your hard disk with it’s upgrade product code and activate. You don’t need an XP or Vista disc, and you don’t need to install it over itself. This is excellent news and, while I haven’t yet tried this myself, reports are coming in from across the web that this is indeed the case.

WOW, I'm blown away. No wonder Microsoft was keeping their mouth shut on how upgrades were going to work. Looks like they're going with the "honor system" now, which I'm totally cool with. :)

I distinctly remember a bunch of people bitching about the upgrade process way back when Microsoft hadn't even released official information yet. Yes, I'm talking to you staknhalo, jedimasterk, AppaYipYip, jimnms, etc.

I sense a great disturbance in the Apple Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced

I sense a great disturbance in the Apple Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced

talking about the company? or the consumers ?

actually, scratch that, i honestly doubt either group really cares much.....

After remembering that my current computers doesn't support virtualization, I gave up on saving up for multiple copies of '7 ultimate and just settle for Home Premium.

I enjoyed using Win7 RC1, but I'm getting used to XP (on my older desktop) and Vista (on my 5 month old laptop). I'll probably use the released version on a friend's laptop when he eventually buys it (he's scared of it becoming obsolete).

My best friend works for Microsoft, and thanks to him I'm getting a whole lotta copies of Win7 Ultimate shipped out to me (they are not all for me, other friends and family got in on the order). I work at a freelance game testing / software testing company, and as you can imagine in a workplace full of gaming geeks, we were all pretty excited about the release of Windows 7 today. Put us all in a good mood.

Well, I'm slightly disappointed in the fact that I've got to cold boot on one computer in order to go from Vista Home (OEM from Dell) to Windows 7 Pro. Also, on another computer that has Vista Ultimate I'll have to do a cold boot in order to put Windows 7 Pro on it as well..... I fell that vista to Windows 7 is so simular that I should be able to to an up/down grade.

Just install it.

This is correct. This OS is slick as lightening out of the gate.

Ohhh, I see what you did there.

lightening

n.

The sensation of decreased abdominal distention during the latter weeks of pregnancy following the descent of the fetal head into the pelvic inlet.

you're right guys....it's lightning - sorry for the bad spelling. :( I can't believe Win 7 didn't catch that! LOL?

I wish Microsoft would have released it on a Monday, because I pre-ordered from Newegg, and they are so slow shipping, I won't get mine till sometime next week, forcing me to wait till next weekend for time to install it.

I'm in TX and Newegg charged my CC on 10/21 and I received Win 7 HP yesterday (10/22). Not sure when I'll actually install it on my Vista HTPC, LOL.

W7 is an OS for 2009.... it has easy to use features...

I used OSX SL yesterday and was pissed when there was not a window snap...... I use the 1/2 screen snaps all the time....

right now I am watching the live U2 concert from youtube on 1/2 of my 23" LCD and [H]ard on the other half...

most used feature other than 7MC

For any students out there, the upgrade price is a very reasonable $30 USD that includes home and professional.

W7 is an OS for 2009.... it has easy to use features...

I used OSX SL yesterday and was pissed when there was not a window snap...... I use the 1/2 screen snaps all the time....

right now I am watching the live U2 concert from youtube on 1/2 of my 23" LCD and [H]ard on the other half...

most used feature other than 7MC

Window snap kind of blew my mind, its like the first real useful UI workspace innovation that Microsoft has come up with, ever. :)

They did real good with W7, as long as they streamline all those drilldowns even further in Windows 8 I'm happy.

Back