Microsoft KMS/Key server Help needed.

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Has anyone done a KMS server on 2k3 yet?

We are trying it and after reading through a week of documentation I'm trying to setup my first host and I am not seeing what I expected. We are trying to serve 3 products from one host:

office 2k10 (14) pro plus
Win7
Server 2k8 R2

I install the KMS host, the update that comes in that pack, the second update that the documentation says you wil need for office 2k10.

Go to put in the 2k10 KMS key, nope, doesn't like it, so I install the win7 key, then the serv2k8 R2 Key. Then I download and install the office 2k10 KMS host and during the install it asks if I want to put in a product key, I put it in and it takes it.

I then urn the /ato just for GP for the other other two keys just in case, Says its fine. I run /dlv to check it out and it shows me Office 2k10 and win7 (the last key I enrtered) so I then do an /ipk for srv 2k8 R2 and /ato then /dlv again to check and it shows me office 2k10 and srv 2k8 R2 - NOT win7.

What am I doing wrong? How can I be sure this is ready to serv 3 products. Do I run /ipk and put all the keys I am activating?

Okay... this is how I understand i so far after talking to MS (I could not always understand the guy)

Seems like the KMS system is still bascially using the honor system in terms of what you install and are you licensed for it. When you run slmgr.vbs /ipk it will put a key into the the key system, but it replaces what is already there. YOU DON'T NEED a seperate key for win server or win7, he told me to use the Server 2k8 R2 key and it would activate booht. The documents do say that the activations are combined but I didn't know how combined.

So it seems like KMS is just activating one host with MS (that does have to be activated and I believe that Key is unique to you) to say hey here I am, I'm going to be using this. Then the rest of the activations for windows and office are bascially on the honor system as they will authenticate to the KMS and they use generic keys that everyone uses and the key server doesn't count licenses it just allows use.

So basically here is what I needed to do

Install the KMS package, install the pated that comes with the kms package (KB948003)
Install the second update for the KMS server on 2k3 (KB968915)
Install the Office 2k10 KMS Host, because despite the second update it still doesn't serv for office 2k10, input the Office KMS key when asked

Install the server 28R2 KMS host key
... install your clients, by default they come with the KMS Client keys (that the documetns did say)
Be it Server 2k8 R2 or Win7 or Office 2k10, having followed the steps above you are set.

I had one office machine running, I did one test machine of win7 and converted a server 2k8 R2 eval into a licensed server and my count is 1 office / 2 windows as I would expect.

It just boggles me that since they went through all this trouble to have us use a KMS system that they would use a system that would limit us to a license but it still on honor unless audited

Back