Microsoft just killed Xbox One's DRM. Thoughts?

Would you now consider/buy a Xbox One since the DRM has been reversed?

• Yes

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 52 46.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 26 23.0%

• Total voters
KarateBob and I posted at the same exact time about this. lol.

Delete if needed.

I voted yes, because I want to keep an open mind and if there are some good exclusives for the system I may get it sometime... but probably not for a few years. I don't have internet at home so that's why I didn't consider it before.

I was probably going to get one eventually, but this moved me into the group that will likely buy one sooner than later.
I figured this would happen at some point, just not quite so soon.

So all this time they have been lying to us, saying that you had to have the DRM?

So all this time they have been lying to us, saying that you had to have the DRM?
The fine print always said "subject to change"... so not really. I'd still wait until people start using it to form a more solid opinion on it, just in case...

Congrats to the whiners you just killed the following features

- Sharing your games with up to 10 friends digitally
- Not having to put the disc in to play after install on a physical copy.

But hey you can sell your games back to Gamestop for crap value!

Settle down there, Jr.

Your answer to concern number 2 is this: Every Xbox One game will be available online as the retail disc copies. So just buy all your games through Xbox Live. Problem solved.

And as far as sharing games... yet again... http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

I love the idea of same-day releases on XBL. My concern there comes down to HD space and how they address that. Otherwise, I'll probably never buy any disks again. I haven't bought a PC game disk in 4-5 years.

I have principles, so no.

Microsoft showed their true colors and the direction they would love to take things.... Then renagged when they saw how much money they would lose.

So if you want to let them stick it back in because they promised to go more gently and with lube than go right ahead

Settle down there, Jr.

Nope not going to cave to the Gamestop crowd.

Your answer to concern number 2 is this: Every Xbox One game will be available online as the retail disc copies. So just buy all your games through Xbox Live. Problem solved.

I'm not interested in sharing physical copies with my friends. They're scattered around the country. With the digital sharing they could just borrow and download at their leisure. That was a pretty cool feature. Not sure why they still can't offer that for digital. Basically have two different DRM systems based on delivery.

the digital versions lost the digital sharing features too not just the retail discs.

If MS was smart they would of left digital versions bought identical to the old drm terms, but left retail disks drm free.

would of been best of both world.

The title should say " Microsoft have just lost billions in software sales"

Pirates will now have a field day just like they did with the 360. Ms have never had good copy protection and Sony/public have just made piracy a massive massive problem for the Xbox. Fooling funny lol!!

Still have both systems pre ordered but I'm upset I was looking forward to diskless gaming and family sharing. But I guess everyone just wanted more of what we have now.

They aren't doing this because they care, they're doing it because the mainstream media picked it up. If it would have stayed quiet, it would still be full steam ahead with the DRM. But it got too big, and the PS4 was selling 2 to 1. So now they completely reverse all the horseshit they've been spewing for weeks.

They tried to screw their core audience, found out they couldn't get away with it, then did a complete 180. Fuck the X-BONE.

Still have both systems pre ordered but I'm upset I was looking forward to diskless gaming and family sharing. But I guess everyone just wanted more of what we have now.
No reason you can't have diskless gaming or family sharing. Only download your games. The family sharing shouldn't be changed either. Removing a 24 hour mandatory check in and locked down used games shouldn't affect that at all. And if it does, then it's Microsoft punishing the user base for making them change. Shame on Microsoft.

I went from never buying to buying when a game I want to play comes along.

Like what, Halo 13?

This is a win for consumer rights.

I think MS was going to ride it out despite all the negativity with the gamers, but when Sony was able to walk all over them without having to do anything then the mainstream press started picking up on it, and then with preorders lagging they had to step back and rethink their strategy. They are only doing it because it was going to hurt their wallet.

I am happy about this. It shows that people can make a difference and even the biggest companies need to listen even if they don't want too. I still have negative feelings about the situation but it is mixed with positive and some hope. On the negative side, we've seen MS's hand now and what they want to do and will move too, on the positive it shows that they will bend to consumers. The hope is that they learn from this and when next gen (X2) is coming out their policies are consumer friendly and they don't try and pull some kind of stunts like they did in the past couple of months.

They still have other issues they will have to contend with, but they at least removed 2 major ones. While I can not say I will purchase an X1, I can say there is at least a chance I would purchase one now whereas before there was not a chance of ever owning one. If you are curious my main reasons for not purchasing one are there are not MS exclusives I care about currently, Kinect, *if* Live Gold is still plastered with ads (if it is like it has been, ugh, I don't like paying for a service and getting ads that take up so much space, but that is another topic all together), and being burned on the 360 (RROD). The last one is the easiest to resolve and will find out over time if they turn that around.

This is good though. We need competition and the way it was looking this was going to be a good old fashion slaughter and no one wins when the one on top doesn't have to fight to keep it.

Waiting for a link to the newest Hitler/X-bone/PS4 vid that will surely pop up. MS is going to eat shit for weeks over this flip flop.

No reason you can't have diskless gaming or family sharing. Only download your games. The family sharing shouldn't be changed either. Removing a 24 hour mandatory check in and locked down used games shouldn't affect that at all. And if it does, then it's Microsoft punishing the user base for making them change. Shame on Microsoft.

Like what, Halo 13?

It really does sound like they are punishing consumers by giving hem what they want yet taking away a new exciting feature that to me should not be effected by the changes. Still trying to show who's boss.

I voted "Maybe". This does make it a hell of a lot more compelling, but the PS4 is still $100 cheaper, it still requires a peripheral that I could not possibly care less about or want to use. Most importantly though none of the true exclusives really interest me. The only one with potential is D4. The other interesting ones sound like they're in really really bad shape (Crimson Dragon) or will probably come to the PC anyway (Quantum Break) and we know so little about D4 and Quantum that it's pointless to get excited for either.

I voted "Maybe". This does make it a hell of a lot more compelling, but the PS4 is still $100 cheaper, it still requires a peripheral that I could not possibly care less about or want to use. Most importantly though none of the true exclusives really interest me. The only one with potential is D4. The other interesting ones sound like they're in really really bad shape (Crimson Dragon) or will probably come to the PC anyway (Quantum Break) and we know so little about D4 and Quantum that it's pointless to get excited for either.

Don't forget that the X-Bone is also less powerful. Gotta love buying that underpowered hardware when you know you'll be stuck with it for a decade.

Don't forget that the X-Bone is also less powerful. Gotta love buying that underpowered hardware when you know you'll be stuck with it for a decade.

In reality the difference in power will mean jack all. People are acting like the XB1 is as weak as the WiiU. They're close enough that it likely won't matter much for well made multi-plats and the small handful of PS4 games that will show the difference will be first party.

In reality the difference in power will mean jack all. People are acting like the XB1 is as weak as the WiiU. They're close enough that it likely won't matter much for well made multi-plats and the small handful of PS4 games that will show the difference will be first party.

The difference between sometimes dipping below the 60 or 30fps a game is targeted for and never dipping below is huge.

I always thoght the eyestrain with X-box was greater then a PS3 so I'm PS4 cause Microsoft is just $$$$$.

Does it still have Kinect? Does it still have less raw processing power? Is it still $100 more?

Mind still not changed.

I am more inclined to get one now that the restriction is lifted.

The difference between sometimes dipping below the 60 or 30fps a game is targeted for and never dipping below is huge.

I did specifically say "well made multi-plats". People are making a ton of assumptions on how the power difference will truly affect games. Remember, both are using the same architecture so theoretically it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do good ports between the consoles and make them run well on both. That doesn't account for rush jobs and just general bad ports, of course. I really don't believe the difference is as big as some people are making it out to be.

You're welcome. We've kept your right in place to OWN the games you pay for and do with them what you please. And we've made sure that you can play them whenever or where ever you want at anytime now that the 24 hour check is required. We've also prevented MS from eliminating your choice to rent games as well.

We've secured your rights to ownership and prevented a future where Nintendo and Sony will of course follow suit.

Also if you wanna sell your used games for lots more money I've got a word for you : Ebay.

So to end , your welcome even with your attitude. You wanna share your games? Hand them to your friend "physically".

I voted Maybe as in "instead of never buying it, MAYBE I will buy one in 4-5 years". I already have a gaming pc and my money for a next gen console is going to the ps4 so I don't have any need for an Xbox One. I still might never buy one simply because I don't need one. All of their exclusives that make me love the Xbox and bought a 360 for they have gotten rid of, Halo is the only one that remains and that is not enough for me to buy a console. Plus, I DON'T WANT KINECT, I don't care what it can do or how well it does it. I don't want it and won't pay for it.

Microsoft ticked me off with their arrogance, just because they changed their mind doesn't mean I will reward them for it because they are still arrogant, just not as totally stupid as I thought.

the digital versions lost the digital sharing features too not just the retail discs.

If MS was smart they would of left digital versions bought identical to the old drm terms, but left retail disks drm free.

would of been best of both world.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't do this. I think that would have made both groups happy.

I still will not buy an xboner, still has the requirement of Kinect and I'm betting they still have in the fine print, the option of changing terms of use at any time without notice. Not to mention its still more expensive.

Back