Microsoft iSCSI Target Software on Server 2008

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Does anyone have any experience using the new iSCSI Target 3.3 with Server 2008? It is really simple to setup and create a target/virtual disk for it but I cannot get Windows 7 or another Server 2008 to connect to it with the initiator :confused: There does not seem to be much to troubleshoot in the iSCSI Target console. I turned off the firewall in case that was the problem.

In the morning I will try to connect with an ESXi host but I have used the built-in windows iSCSI initiator many times for other devices and never had any trouble.

Type in the IP manually in the Initiator. I've never had problems getting them to connect. Or you could type in the full initiator name and do it that way as well.

I don't get this. I have read 4-5 different setup guides and there is little room to go wrong on setting this up. :confused:

Interesting... I'll be embarking on that iSCSI package tomorrow.... How did you install the software?

Based on a few odd things I've run into, I always right click the installer and run as administrator even when I am administrator or have administrator level priv. For some reason some things don't register exactly the same when I haven't done this and I've been burned.

Did you give that IP access to the target? When you setup the target you should have a tab for access. Plug in the IP that will be accessing it then go to that box and use the initiator to manually search the IP for the target.

Did you give that IP access to the target? When you setup the target you should have a tab for access. Plug in the IP that will be accessing it then go to that box and use the initiator to manually search the IP for the target.

There is no tab for access. This software does not have much to setup or options to play with.

Interesting... I'll be embarking on that iSCSI package tomorrow.... How did you install the software?

Based on a few odd things I've run into, I always right click the installer and run as administrator even when I am administrator or have administrator level priv. For some reason some things don't register exactly the same when I haven't done this and I've been burned.

it is an msi file so i can't run as admin.

I have checked the services and restarted them, turned off the firewall, reinstalled it and tried accessing the target from the initiator on the same box.:confused:

it is an msi file so i can't run as admin.

I have checked the services and restarted them, turned off the firewall, reinstalled it and tried accessing the target from the initiator on the same box.:confused:

i can help if you want ?

I did a port scan and the 3260 port is open.

can you do what i asked so i can rule that out or no ?

I did the same thing as you and it didn't work ONCE i set the rule to allow it worked..

Trust me i spent a week screwing with it, then after i did that it all worked.

Do you guys see anything wrong with this, this is Wireshark from when i entered the IP address of the Target in the Discovery Tab on the initiator

M3eWE.jpg

There is no tab for access. This software does not have much to setup or options to play with.

FROM iSCSI TARGET SOFTWARE

After you create your target vhd, Right click it and go to "Properties"

Click that tab called "iSCSI Initiators"

Enter the IP address of the server that will be connecting to the target.

FROM INITIATOR SERVER

Load iSCSI Initator
go to "Discovery" Tab
Enter the IP of the target server in "Target Pools"
Click Refresh
Click on "Targets" tab
Click Refresh
The target should show up, highlight it and click "LogOn"
That will map the drive, to make the mapping reconnect on Boot go to the "Volumes and groups" tab and click "AutoConfigure"

Edit, sorry say you resolved it lol

FROM iSCSI TARGET SOFTWARE

After you create your target vhd, Right click it and go to "Properties"

Click that tab called "iSCSI Initiators"

Enter the IP address of the server that will be connecting to the target.

FROM INITIATOR SERVER

Load iSCSI Initator
go to "Discovery" Tab
Enter the IP of the target server in "Target Pools"
Click Refresh
Click on "Targets" tab
Click Refresh
The target should show up, highlight it and click "LogOn"
That will map the drive, to make the mapping reconnect on Boot go to the "Volumes and groups" tab and click "AutoConfigure"

Edit, sorry say you resolved it lol

Resolved :) helped him over remote..

Thanks again for the help.

I was not adding the initiator of the clients that will connect. I have never had to do this before with other iSCSI software.

Back