Microsoft Is Bringing the IntelliMouse Explorer Back

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to the Surface accessories page, the Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse is returning soon: Twitter user Olly Cripps noticed the listing, and it appears the new mouse is wired like the original. Microsoft is promising even more precise tracking with a DPI range of up to 3200 for the new Classic IntelliMouse.

Inspired by the Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0, the new Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse has exceptional tracking and the firm scroll wheel that fans loved about the original. Tracking is now even more precise with a DPI range up to 3200.

Well, they have to make one piece of hardware customers will actually buy! ;)

Reactions: _l_
like this
Mice have tended lately to be either "Cheapest crap we can produce" or "Super Expensive Gaming Awesomeness!!!!!!!" Intellimouse was always a quality piece of equipment, outlasting many other brands of mice, without all the fancy frills. Depending on pricing, I may pick up several of these upon release!

Oh man, used the crap out of the 3.0's. Good shape and size, and they just worked.

Man, I loved the shape of that thing, and the placement of the buttons was perfect. Was the first optical mouse I owned and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately the LMB crapped out on me, but I replaced it with the equally great Logitech MX510.

If only it was the intellimouse optical, I need ambidextrous cause I'm crazy and left mouse.

Went through a few of these and they were great. Don't see going back to using one because they're not programmable.

I personally like the old Microsoft USB Intellimouse with the rubber balls lol.

Can't find any new ones anywhere.

It sucked cleaning them and eventually they wear down; but they're great when new.

I wish MSFT would make Gaming mice again. I soldiered on the Sidewinder mice for almost a decade before I had to replace them with Corsair's crap.

I'm still using a Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 right now at the office. Best mouse I ever had.

70ED7453-BB46-4ECF-80C1-1127B13F85A8.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder if will be as inferior to it's predecessor as the re-released Natural Elite keyboards were.

Yay.

Although in addition to increasing DPI, I wish they would add wireless option with Li-Ion battery good enough for 30 days. The Logitech Master MX 2S mouse is great, except for the horizontal scroll wheel, side buttons, hard to press vertical wheel and weird ratcheting feel (I like the smart ratcheting but somehow the ratcheting effect is not what I expect)
Remove the RED LED obviously since that would drain battery.
Make sure the mouse buttons do not fail after 1M clicks like the older model.
Keep the same mouse shape and scroll wheel.
Not add coating that would rubberize over time and peel off.
Do not paint the plastic so that after 2 years it starts to rub off and the mouse looks dirty and crappy.
Use closer spaced housing and button construction to prevent dirt from accumulating.
Use larger skid pads so they don't gunk up and slide off because the glue softened.
Place screws outside of the covered areas so the mouse can be opened without damaging skid pads or other labeling for cleaning.

Reactions: HoffY
like this
I'm still using my MS Wireless Optical from around 2002 or so. Such a great mouse. Would love them to make a new one because mine can't last forever :(

If they're bringing back wired mice, any chance on wired ergo keyboards :p

(And on the topic of mice, I'm 100% committed to WMO 1.1a - even bought two spares from eBay and a ton of mouse feet, so I'm not changing anytime soon lol)

I use an inexpensive Logitech wireless mouse. Paid $18 at BestBuy and it gets A LOT of daily use and is holding up rather nicely. Like any other product, one must choose carefully (though hard to do when item is sealed in package and no reviews, which seem to be the case for most mice these days except high fashion and gaming mice)

When the intellimouse released it was IMHO the first reliable and solid non-ball mouse. I used them exclusively until Logitech stepped up their game with the 518.

According to the Surface accessories page, the Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse is returning soon: Twitter user Olly Cripps noticed the listing, and it appears the new mouse is wired like the original. Microsoft is promising even more precise tracking with a DPI range of up to 3200 for the new Classic IntelliMouse.

Inspired by the Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0, the new Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse has exceptional tracking and the firm scroll wheel that fans loved about the original. Tracking is now even more precise with a DPI range up to 3200.
Awesome! I was mad when they quit making it, I only have 3, wore one out. How crazy has this world become when mice have about 25 buttons that just get in the way? Too many "expurts" in our world that are clueless.

Personally I preferred the first-gen Intellimouse Explorer, the one that was much taller than the 3.0.

I loved mine, but I used to use it on my workbench that copped the afternoon sun and some sort of sticky goo leaked out of the scroll wheel making it really uncomfortable to use - Almost like grease leaked out of the mechanism due to heat.

Still got it somewhere I think...

the original ones were awesome .. bought two and they both died a horrible death of me beating them up .. called MS gave em the serial numbers off the packages .. got 2 new mice for free ..that also dieded a horrid death of cheetoes beer and games .. after 4 yrs of abuse ... i'll be picking one of these up .. love those MICE! current mouse is a logitech G 400 S .. it came close to a great mouse .. sadly logitech saw fit to get rid of it ..killed one of those too .. the sent me some hyperion POS as a replacement since they said the g400 s WAS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE ???

yet is in stock on amazon ?
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G400s-910-003589-Optical-Gaming/dp/B00BCEK2LA

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the original ones were awesome .. bought two and they both died a horrible death of me beating them up .. called MS gave em the serial numbers off the packages .. got 2 new mice for free ..that also dieded a horrid death of cheetoes beer and games .. after 4 yrs of abuse ... i'll be picking one of these up .. love those MICE! current mouse is a logitech G 400 S .. it came close to a great mouse .. sadly logitech saw fit to get rid of it ..killed one of those too .. the sent me some hyperion POS as a replacement since they said the g400 s WAS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE ???

yet is in stock on amazon ?
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G400s-910-003589-Optical-Gaming/dp/B00BCEK2LA

That's pretty good service that MS gave you replacements for free, how old were they?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice. I miss my 3.0. Nothing since has been quite as good.

There is only one moust better... the 3DConnexion CAD Mouse.

If the IM has three actual buttons like it... it'd be a staple work horse! I went through at least 8 of those mice! As with most mice (for me anyway) the buttons start failing and they become unusable. Still got a few laying around i have meant to take apart o see if they are replaceable! Which i'm going to do with teh 3DConnexion CAD Mouse as well as the first one's middle mouse button is starting to double click / not click at all. :(

Brilliant List.

I'd add...

*Make the actual buttons user replaceable.
*Give it an actual Middle Mouse Button exactly like the 3DConnexion CAD Mouse. It is brilliant and should have been how the scrollwheel/mmb was done from the start.

3.0 had a pretty nice sensor but the shape was kind of crap. 4.0 had a great shape but crap sensor.

Don't trust MS

I thought they had thumb buttons on the left side of the mouse on the Intellis or was that a later model?

I had two of them. One was even a blue OG Alienware that matched a computer I ended up with in like 2001.

But seriously where are the thumb buttons?!?!

Back