Microsoft Has Made More Moola Than Apple, Google And Amazon

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy moly! Did any of you guys know this? And this whole time we thought Apple was king when it came to profits. :eek:

The computing and gaming titan quietly let its milestone of $1 trillion in all-time revenue come and go without a peep, but consultant Jeff Reifman noticed it while nosing around the company's state tax breaks. Microsoft shares its place in the trillion-dollar-club with Apple. But while Apple is known for making monster profits off devices like the iPhone and MacBook, it's Microsoft that ultimately takes the profit prize, according to Reifman's calculations: $265.2 billion to Apple's $261.6 billion.

it's Microsoft that ultimately takes the profit prize, according to Reifman's calculations: $265.2 billion to Apple's $261.6 billion.
If fiscal year 2016 is anything like the last few years, that will probably change.

Considering that Apple was irrelevant between ~1984 and 2001 (iPod), and only really became a juggernaut after 2007 (iPhone), I find it quite incredible that they are actually competing with Microsoft in lifetime revenue and profit.

Reactions: Yakk
like this
If fiscal year 2016 is anything like the last few years, that will probably change.

Considering that Apple was irrelevant between ~1984 and 2001 (iPod), and only really became a juggernaut after 2007 (iPhone), I find it quite incredible that they are actually competing with Microsoft in lifetime revenue and profit.

Apple may be falling out of that race.

Cumulative lifetime earning and profits seems kind of irrelevant. It doesn't even state if the figures are inflation-adjusted or not. On an inflation-adjusted basis, I'm sure IBM would kill them all.

This seems like a weird stat. Wouldn't Exxon or Walmart have hit this years ago. Microsoft would have hit it a long time ago if they EU hadn't crippled them with their bogus anti-trust ruling.

Apple smells like disaster right now unless they come out with some ground breaking changes and/or tech.

Still, it is a pretty amazing milestone to reach for a non-oil company.

MSFT stock has not had the love it once did. Although, if you look at a 5 year chart, nice upward slope. I bought some several years ago and am hanging on.

Oh, I must have imagined this:

Growth Funds Dumping Apple Stock

MS have taken their lumps from Fund managers for quite a few years now. I doubt many growth funds have owned massive amounts of MS stock for years When they laid off 18,000 people in 2014 plenty of fund managers sold... when they laid off another 7,800 last year they also got sold heavily. If we really want to go back during the balmer years they tanked the stock from a high of $60 to as low as $15. They where not seeing a ton of growth fund investment in those years.

Bottom line is Apple had one quarter where they made less then the quarter before (since the iphone wave), that is hardly a nose dive. Simple fact is they are profiting 3x as much as MS right now and that isn't likely to change in a big way anytime soon.

Apple may not see a personal growth quarter for awhile unless they have a killer upgrade phone in the pipe, but they are hardly getting stomped by the competition who isn't MS anymore. (keep in mind there iphone sales jumpled something crazy like 20% last year they warned then it would crest) MS is hardly the company profiting from any Apple growth stagnation.

In 2012 Apple sold 22.7 Million in Iphones alone... MS sold 17.4M total that year. Last year Apple sold 48 Million in Iphones. One stagnated Quarter is hardly the end of the Apple phone gravy train. Apple would have to drop %10 a year for 10 years for their Iphone sales to drop to MS Total yearly sales. I would expect they need a couple more years to equal MS in terms of lifetime profits, unless either company drops a killer app that changes that. As much as it seems Apple hype train has slowed, I would still bet on them dropping a killer A10 powered phone that drives upgrade sales before I would bet on MS doing anything that would really drive profit.

Last edited:
Apple smells like disaster right now unless they come out with some ground breaking changes and/or tech.

They're going to be making iPhones and making profit off of iPhones for the foreseeable future.

They're shifting from growth to value, it's kind of a lifecycle that all tech companies go through (Apple being one of the few companies I can think of that has ever shifted back the other way).

This cannot be, wasn't "everyone" saying Microsoft was going out of business? Xbox one was dying, Windows was dying, Phone was dying, they are dying? :D

This cannot be, wasn't "everyone" saying Microsoft was going out of business? Xbox one was dying, Windows was dying, Phone was dying, they are dying? :D

Aren't you reading the comments? they are still dying, this article is full of shit and Microsoft hasn't made any money in years.

Back