Microsoft Habu out!

Just used both side by side in HL2. I'm going to send back the Habu wo/ replacement. Even if the next one's perfect, I preferred the MX. It fits my hand better (maybe a year w/ a mouse will do that to you), and doesn't seem to cause sweaty hands...something the Habu's matte back managed to accomplish. Good luck to all you! I'll be hangin' on to good ol faithful. :D

IMG_1502.jpg

too bad it's not wireless, otherwise i'd consider getting one. once you go wireless, you never go back :(

PixPirate said:
Just because a mouse is expensive does not mean it should be wireless.

There is a short but noticable delay on all the wireless mice I've ever tried. I assume the mouse 'goes to sleep' after a certian period of inactivity and it takes a few ms to wake up. It's annoying to me; Some folks don't notice it or it does not bother them. Whatever, it's just a matter of personal preference.

(Yes I'm a camper!)

thePP
have you tried the g7? i have one and haven't noticed any lag at all.

Okay, to let everyone know how i got my mouse working with the latest firmware

I had uninstalled everything, starting from scratch is the best

first off, download the latest firmware off of the razer website, currently its 2.01

next, install the drivers from the cd, reboot

after you have done that, open the file you got off of the razer website

pull the folder out of the zipfile, and open the firmware folder, install firmware

next, uninstall the drivers (i know, weird, but this is how i did it) note: you are not uninstalling the firmware, just the drivers (the only razer profile in add/remove programs)

reboot

then load up the Habu-Synapse installtion file that was in the other folder. click okay if there is a "not windows certified driver"

reboot

then everything should work fine. i had some other quirks before i discovered this solution, if anyone is still having problems, make a post.

one quirk is that in order for my mouse poll rate to be set past 125hz, i first used the Synapse program to set the desired rates (500hz) then clicked applied. I then unplugged the mouse (right after i clicked apply) then plugged it back in. checked it using mouserate, and boom, working at 500hz. right now im getting a problem setting at 1000hz, but i think its still a firmware problem, i have seen others not getting the same problem.

the tracking to me is near indifferent with 500hz poll rate, i can feel some smoothness. it is quite some trouble, but for me, in order to be a good techie, i believe that one should encounter problems like this one.

Alias2 said:
Not to get off topic. But is it a choice? Both my children leanred to draw/write with their right hand. Thats just how they naturally picked it up. Useing my left just feels wrong, like I can't put it together to move.
When I was young I threw the ball with whatever hand I picked it up with and caught it with whichever hand was on that side...I made the choice to be right-handed because of the lack of left-handed products and overall acceptance of righties...so yes, I believe it is a choice

I wonder if buy.com will ever get the Habu back... I kind of want it and spending $35 sounds about right for me :)

moetop said:

Great mouse. I've got two of them. One for home, the second for work. I had to fight a bit for the 2nd though. Apparently the person in charge of signing off on purchases for the ergonomics program didn't want to believe there weren't basic $30 lefty mice available somewhere. The email with "I've spent ~10hrs looking without finding a cheaper one" finally did the trick. Presumably it convinced them that hunting longer would just waste more of the overhead budget. (There are, but the companies making them marked them up to $80-120)

Except a few of these made it out wo/ proper potty training. :p

well... so I was in CompUSA, to get some Bawls.. and I stopped to "feel" the meeses... so I really liked the way the habu sat in my hand and I decided to give it a try.. over the G7.. first thing, the drivers are shitty.. I followed the directions on the razer site and once I got everything done and I thought I was in the clear, I rebooted and I could not get the mouse to be seen by the drivers... so I started searching for fixes and read this is an issue with these mice.. great! I returned my last razer mouse because the drivers were crappy.. same issue also, wouldn't detect the mouse.. anyways, I see not much has changed. So, I tried Shodin's method also, and I could not get the original drivers to detect the mouse.. this is what I did:

(edit: done on Win XP 32 w/ SP2)

--> uninstalled all Habu software..

--> installed the 2.01 drivers from Razers site from a clean slate.

--> said YES to the windows warning about non WHQL drivers

--> then said NO to the reboot now option and went into the firmware folder and installed the new firmware!! (with no reboot).

--> after the firmware is successfully installed, it tells you to unplug and re-plug the Habu.. do that, then reboot.

NOTE: It's very important to not reboot before attempting the firmware update because the OS and the drivers see the mouse ONLY after the driver install but after a reboot with the old firmware the mouse was never detectable by the drivers again.. it was very frustrating! anyways.. I hope this helps some people.

I like the feel of the Habu a lot.. I am glad I got the drivers working!

The death adder is for low sensitivity players, that like to lift their mice up and reposition them. Supposedly because the laser mice keep tracking when you pick them up and this can throw you off, however on my opticals they do the same thing... so I'm wondering what is the point. There was a big review of 17 mice comparing lasers vs. opticals and I'm just not convinced that opticals are better, cheaper yes superior technology dunno.
-Discuss

day two for me and the habu.. I like it a lot still! it's a better feeling mouse (than the G7) to me for long gaming sessions so far... yay for new years day gaming. :)

Back