Microsoft fix for iTunes coming for Vista....

msny

2[H]4U
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/mp3-players-digital-audio/microsoft-plays-nice-with-apple-ipod-no-more-corruption.asp

A reported fix is to be released May 22nd for users of iTunes.

...correct an issue that caused some iPods to become corrupted when ejecting them using Windows Explorer or the "Safely Remove Hardware" function in the System Tray.

So if using iTunes and Vista together has been a show stopper for you, this may be the ticket.
There is also a download link on that page for the patch(I assume its the same one that the updater will have??)

Apple can't even fix their own problems now?

My goodness, some of these programmers are getting lazy.

No - it's a collaboration. Since Windows isn't open source, companies often have to work with them to iron out any compatability issues that aren't easily solved. In the end, this is little different than a number of other compatability updates MS has pushed out through Windows Update.

At least it will be fixed. I can't stand iTunes though, so this won't affect me. However, my wife's been putting off her Vista Home Premium upgrade into this was fixed. We wouldn't want her Hilary McDuff songs to get corrupted, now would we? :eek:

My goodness, some of these programmers are getting lazy.

so you have proof that the root-cause of this issue is Apple's fault then?

*points and laughs*

The sole component being updated; USBSTOR.sys

I'll bet they churned some PnP code and it gacked the iPod because Apple tends to not like the USB-IF and their "Specs" to start.

And if data is being corrupted that tells me the device isn't responding (probably in a timely enough manner) to the all the PnP device removal requests (or completing its prep / cleanup for removal), but also that the USB stack is ignoring that fact and carrying on. So the drive is being left in an unstable state (handles to files not being closed, etc.) and voila!

I'm also betting that Applie tried to fix the timing issues in the iTunes updates after Vista launched, but since the repro scenario appears to also cover a NON-iTunes case, it eventually ends up in MSFTs lap to insert device specific code into an inbox driver.

/educated_speculation

Back