Microsoft Edge..

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there a way to remove MIcrosoft Edge? How much does it effect system performance?

Is there a way to remove MIcrosoft Edge? How much does it effect system performance?

It doesn't affect performance at all if you're not running it.

This article here claims to explain how to remove edge, I have no idea if it works because i need to have Edge (And IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and even something that runs webkit) installed to compatibility test web applications: http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-remove-microsoft-edge-from-windows-10-491534.shtml

That was kind of my question.. when in use how is the hit because apparently it runs in the background unless you remove it.

If it's not set as the default browser I'm not sure how it would ever run unless explicitly run by the user.

In this day and age of software and security holes, if you don't need it you should be able to remove it.

Whether it runs in the background or not doesn't matter.

In this day and age of software and security holes, if you don't need it you should be able to remove it.

Whether it runs in the background or not doesn't matter.

What would you care since you know run a locked down OS called Chrome OS. :p I would just leave it be since it will not run at all unless you explicitly tell it too.

What would you care since you know run a locked down OS called Chrome OS. :p I would just leave it be since it will not run at all unless you explicitly tell it too.

And it's all just one app and weblinks...not bloat!;)

Also doesn't require a upgrade/rebuild every 6months.

I still use Windows on my Workstation. Life isn't all perfect.

And it's all just one app and weblinks...not bloat!;)

Also doesn't require a upgrade/rebuild every 6months.

I still use Windows on my Workstation. Life isn't all perfect.

Without getting too far off topic, I have been using the same windows 7 install since it was released. Its as fast now as it ever was. Stop clicking on stupid things and performance wont degrade.

On topic! As mentioned above.. if you do not tell Edge to run, it wont. Its no different than Chrome or Firefox. Its a standalone browser. The days of XP and full system integration are gone. That said, I am unsure how to remove it, even if you wanted to.

Just the fact that it is present means that it can be exploited as an attack vector. Doesn't mean it's even remotely going to happen but you can't make a point that it cannot be a security issue sitting dormant. @Quix, thanks for the link, they have an automated script for the removal too.

That was kind of my question.. when in use how is the hit because apparently it runs in the background unless you remove it.
Many of the "modern apps" run in a suspended state, even if you have never launched them or are no longer using them. I do not think Edge does this, but things like Calculator, Photos, Music, etc do.

Go to Task Manager and click the Apps history tab. You can see how often Edge has been ran. If you were using it to test you can clear the history and wait a while to see if it's doing anything if you're worried about it.

If you are worried about an internet browser that might be running in the background having any kind of effect on your system, it might be time to upgrade your Pentium 3 or at least stick in another 128mb of ram.

If you are worried about an internet browser that might be running in the background having any kind of effect on your system, it might be time to upgrade your Pentium 3 or at least stick in another 128mb of ram.

That's not really what folks are concerned about. Unused but installed software is a liability whether it's running or not.

That's not really what folks are concerned about. Unused but installed software is a liability whether it's running or not.

Malware that has compromised a system to the extent that it's leveraging inactive apps and services has already hosed that system thoroughly and I don't thing too many would argue otherwise. I file this one under "Does it really matter?"

Malware that has compromised a system to the extent that it's leveraging inactive apps and services has already hosed that system thoroughly and I don't thing too many would argue otherwise. I file this one under "Does it really matter?"

Yes I think it does matter. Doesn't have to necessarily 'hose' a machine. Could be something far more subtle. I think you are thinking far too 2D.

Windows is a Rube Goldberg machine of moving parts and if you start arbitrarily removing components cuz you think they are liabilities, you're increasing the chances you'll break something, becoming the liability yourself.

A long time ago I spend the better part of a week troubleshooting an inability to upgrade IE on my machines, which turned out to be my own OCD of turning off the print service, because I don't own a printer. IE could not upgrade because of a print service not running.

Back in the Vista days the vLite app used to remove unwanted components also happened to break the ability to install service packs. MS even explicitly called it out on their KB article.

I really am curious how many people with excessive Win10 "issues" also applied all these crazy tweaks to turn off what they perceive is MS stealing their credit card numbers and passwords and DNA or whatever.

Windows is a Rube Goldberg machine of moving parts and if you start arbitrarily removing components cuz you think they are liabilities, you're increasing the chances you'll break something, becoming the liability yourself.

A long time ago I spend the better part of a week troubleshooting an inability to upgrade IE on my machines, which turned out to be my own OCD of turning off the print service, because I don't own a printer. IE could not upgrade because of a print service not running.

Back in the Vista days the vLite app used to remove unwanted components also happened to break the ability to install service packs. MS even explicitly called it out on their KB article.

I really am curious how many people with excessive Win10 "issues" also applied all these crazy tweaks to turn off what they perceive is MS stealing their credit card numbers and passwords and DNA or whatever.

Well don't let your lack of experience with Windows get in the way of others. Some of us have been doing this for over 20 years. We know full well about dependencies.

If it's not set as the default browser I'm not sure how it would ever run unless explicitly run by the user.

I will need to go back and check but I am pretty sure every time I run Ccleaner it would have to close the application running in the background. I don't use it..or need it. I use Firefox but it seems as if this thing is always running.

Did you see my rig specs?....... This is all just me being curious about the new stuff...

You can remove all the Metro APPS if you want.
If you don't want to remove it then turn off live tile and unpin from start. Several have noticed strange things happening with Nov update 10586 where we removed some things and they started coming back. Disable Store Live Tile stops this for now. I say for now because as it appears each time we get a major update like 10586 it look's like it will be the Full 3gb update which overwrites and reinstall everything.

Back