Microsoft Edge Keeps Losing Users Despite Windows 10 Push

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’ve never given it an honest look since I’m too invested in Chrome and Firefox, but is it really that bad? What killer feature do you think it needs to attract users?

Edge's performance is not at all the one we expected it to be, as the browser keeps seeing users go and loses ground in the race against its rivals. In November, for instance, Edge was used by 2.81 percent of the desktop PC consumers, so it lost 0.56 percent in just one month.

Needs session management and i'd give it an honest chance, really the only thing it's missing for me that I can't give up.

Quite simply, Edge doesn't have anything I need that I can't get from other browers, so why bother switching?

Quite simply, Edge doesn't have anything I need that I can't get from other browers, so why bother switching?

I like it better than IE that's for sure. But I agree its not better than chrome so I won't switch, I do use it for sites that are not chrome friendly.

I like IE11 more to be perfectly honest. But only on Windows 8.1 because it kinda looks like shit in Windows 7 / 10.

IE11 has ad block plus too, so Edge is going to sit on the ledge for now. (I use Firefox mainly anyway, but IE11 is the preferred backup, not Chrome.)

I think the feature it really needs to get ASAP is add ons, because Ad Block Plus is a must have.

IE 11 chokes on multiple browser windows for me on 2 computers.. so I use Chrome.. Edge sucked balls on RTM / windows 10.. never gave it another chance..

I've been using Edge for a while now and am considering switching to another browser.

1. Edge seems to randomly ignore mouse clicks. I have no idea what causes it but a few times a day Edge will hit a point where it will no longer respond to mouse clicks. The rest of the OS is fine, it's just Edge that has the issue. I have seen reports about this issue even before Windows 10 went live.

2. Edge will randomly show a blank window halfway through a video (ie, the video will just go black). Other browsers haven't had this issue. YouTube and IGN in HD will usually switch to a static screen with a 'We're sorry' message at some random point in the video.

3. Likely a cause of issue 2 but Edge constantly crashes my NVidia drivers. Only edge does this and I am usually running the latest drivers. Videos in particular cause this behavior.

4. Edge will just randomly shut down for no particular reason. I'll be browsing away and then bam..all of my browser windows start closing one by one and then edge will attempt to reopen all of said browser windows. This happens quite often.

5. Edge removes a lot of customization options that IE 11 has (For instance, Edge insists on always downloading to the 'Downloads' folder, no matter what). Example, when downloading ffrom NVidia's site. Note this could be that the option is hidden well which is a problem in and of itself.

I've been using Edge for a while now and am considering switching to another browser. *snip*

Why would you use Edge for more than a few days if 1 through 4 keep happening? :eek: That sounds like the worst browsing experience in years.

Tried Edge. Left it after 15 minutes. A thoroughly unsatisfactory experience.

I am known for my patience :) I kept hoping they would fix those issues but they have not. I've already started using Firefox off and on.

Edge isn't bad-bad. It has some crashes, and I'll ding the add-ons even tho I don't use any myself. It would be better if the top area was a liiiitle smaller, tho I can understand TOUCH FRIENDLY UI and whatever.

Really, virtually every other browser now has some sort of sync function, and at this point it's too hard to remember all my cached passwords in a new browser. I'm locked in to Chrome now. It's also helpful Chrome is for every mainstream OS so when I'm flipping between Windows and OS X and the occasional Linux I just have all my stuff with me. I'm tinkering with Safari in OS X now due to the -dramatic- difference in batter life vs. Chrome (yeesh) but only with sites where I remember my passwords.

I've been using it on windows 10 mobile since MS have made it difficult to use other browsers and it's not totally horrible, lack of extension support does kill it for pc usage for me though.

No drag and drop bookmark support, no extensions, no bookmark sync for non-Windows devices..... That's just a few of the reasons I don't like it.

Missing in Edge,

1)Accelerators.
2)Right click "create desktop shortcut"context

For one, no plugin support. This means it won't work with any of the EMR systems we use at work.

addons (biggest deal)
reopen closed tabs
better UI functionality (better and more context menu a la right-click)
faster bookmark sync'ing
sync browser session & tabs across devices

Edge isn't bad, however it has no plugins. Firefox is my go to browser, because I swear Chrome has some exploits that aren't plugged. I've seen some fishy stuff while using chrome.

I'd love to be able to use a built in browser. But no extension, poor bookmark support (I don't like the menu) and oddly fast mouse wheel click scroll prevent me from using it.

on my win10 laptop edge makes my screen black out at random times. never get that using chrome probably a driver issue.

Honestly, the biggest annoyance for me is that they still haven't included gesture support. The last IE had swipe back which Chrome supports yet they haven't included it in Edge. I do a lot of my browsing on a Surface Pro 3 and am typing this on it now, in Edge. But, if I have to do a lot of navigating I just switch to Chrome. Also, the lack of extensions kills its usefulness on some websites.

The last IE had swipe back which Chrome supports yet they haven't included it in Edge.

Edge was probably included in it the shape it was in part because it's a decent touch browser though some of the touch features for IE 11 modern were removed like swiping which is very strange. The Edge team has said that touch features will improve, specifically mentioning swiping for instance.

Edge simply needs more features before it can contend but I think it can especially if the power efficiency improves. Add in ad blocking it should sip power compared to Chrome.

Edge was probably included in it the shape it was in part because it's a decent touch browser though some of the touch features for IE 11 modern were removed like swiping which is very strange. The Edge team has said that touch features will improve, specifically mentioning swiping for instance.

Edge simply needs more features before it can contend but I think it can especially if the power efficiency improves. Add in ad blocking it should sip power compared to Chrome.

People aren't skipping Edge because it may use more power than other browsers, the main problem is that Edge is a worse or less table web browser for many people.

MS had years to add more features to [IE Replacement Browser] before launching it. They can't keep launching shit and then going "Ok sorry just give us another year or two to fix everything and catch up". That isn't working and they have enough resources to the point where something like browser stability shouldn't be an issue.

People aren't skipping Edge because it may use more power than other browsers, the main problem is that Edge is a worse or less table web browser for many people.

By power efficiency I mean battery life. If you block ads Edge has been really good on battery, seems better than Chrome but I've not done formal testing to confirm this.

MS had years to add more features to [IE Replacement Browser] before launching it. They can't keep launching shit and then going "Ok sorry just give us another year or two to fix everything and catch up". That isn't working and they have enough resources to the point where something like browser stability shouldn't be an issue.

IE and Edge a significantly different. I'm no fan of Edge or encouraging anyone to use it. I was simply pointing out that it has strengths as a mobile browser in the areas of touch and battery life.

I have used it for the exclusively for the last few months, problems that cause me grief:
- Browser history is not available, in IE I left click on the back button to show the list of sites visited, this is not available in Edge.
- Cached fields, there is no method to delete cached field items, e.g. field displays requesting to enter an email address, it will show a pulldown list of email addresses entered previously and I can't delete individual items as expected in a typical drop box.
- Downloads always go to Downloads folder, no save as option
- Saving a url to favorites does not show a distinct list of folders, the folder list is indented, but poorly formatted.

You'd think MS would know what they are doing by now.
Basic functionality is missing from a headline feature.
But I suppose when you consider Windows 10, Edge isnt so bad.
Its sad to have to think like that so I avoided the problem altogether and stuck with Windows 7.
But even is a battle for most.
MS deserve their bad name.

call me crazy,
But I really like it.

It's snappy as heck and hasn't crashed once on me.
I never had incentive to install Chrome or firefox on it.

call me crazy,
But I really like it.

It's snappy as heck and hasn't crashed once on me.
I never had incentive to install Chrome or firefox on it.

It's not at all a bad browser, I like it because it works well with touch but it does lack a lot features of modern browsers, extensions being the big feature. Like anything new, getting established with fewer features is nearly impossible task.

i want to use edge, but it keeps on crashing. and the favorites, i can import but how do i export the links?

Needs Add ons
address bar needs to be OBVIOUS vs. click to find it.
Paste & Go. Why isn't this just "there" ?

Microsoft made the poor decision to ship Edge without features like extensions. They consciously decided to push those features into an update that was supposed to ship in Q3/Q4, but that update is now rolled into Redstone and delayed to some nebulous timeframe in 2016.

Poor planning, poor market research, poor execution. The Microsoft way.

Edge uses less CPU for me than Chrome does. A difference of 20+% when watching YouTube videos...and that's after forcing h264 because VP9 playback was pegging the CPU on my z8300 cherry trail device. I'd use Edge on anything "lightweight" if it had add-ons.

Been using opera for a long long time and I see no need to go elsewhere. I have chrome and firefox on my work pc since corporate realized IE was junk a few years ago but I don't see any reason reason to use them over opera either.

I find it annoying that once I upgraded to Windows 10 my default browser magically became Edge. (If I remember correctly this has been the case with every windows upgrade and it remains annoying.) So I wonder how many users "lost" are just people who got switched over to Edge, were too lazy to do anything about it at first, and then finally just switched back?

#1 Needs support for add ons. No add ons, no use Edge.
#2 Needs to be cross platform. I like having Chrome and FireFox working on Linux and Android.

What do you expect from a browser built as a Metro App? (WinRT/XAML)

For power users Edge doesn't really do the job. Bookmark system is horrible and so is the download manager. I can't even open HTML files in easy way (I.e. drag and drop). Also for some reason search suggestions stopped working.

UI is the problem at the moment.

Back